Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2013, 04:40 AM

Default Pro Tools 10 for a band

Hello,

I am looking for purchasing Pro Tools in a specific context:

In my band, we are working with several DAWs (Ableton, Studio One, Samplitude, Pro Tools), on our one side, yet I am willing everyone to pass on the same program: Pro Tools 10, that I really like for to reasons:

- I can help the other members of my band to use it efficently
- It can be found in most Studios, so that might enable us to easily put our pre productions in studios, and easily re record our tracks.

Thus, I would like to know if it is possible to put one licence on several ilock keys, so that we would need to pay one licence (even if for the additional installation it would cost more) for the band.

It would not be buying Pro Tools for myself, but for my band.

We are 6 persons, and I work with two computers, so that would make one licence on 7 ilocks.

Thank you for your answer!

Jean-Baptiste Trichard
Old 02-15-2013, 05:11 AM

Default Pro Tools 10 for a band

This is not possible. One license per ilok.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:30 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 for a band

Okey, that's a little a shame, I need to get 7 licences of Pro Tools then, this is gonna be fun...

JB
Old 02-15-2013, 07:26 AM

You can use one iLok for several installations of PT.
So you wouldn't need 2 for yourself, if you're not working on both computers at the same time.
Also, if not everyone in the band has to be able to use PT at the same time, you could swap iLoks around.

You can also save a lot on licenses if you're eligible for the student version, or check the buy&sell section of this board for second hand licenses.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:34 AM

You might consider PTLE 8. Its authorized by its Digidesgin interface and you can pick up used systems cheap. Its got most of the features of PT9 and PT10. It's certainly good enough to compose and share ideas with. The same goes for PT9. You can pick up used licenses cheaply. About the only gotcha is that the members using PT 10 would need to consolidate any tracks using clip gain and save the sessions in the PT9 and earlier format. Not a big deal. Also 11 Racks are currently being sold at 639.00 various places on the web and they come with PT 10. Theres a lot of ways to get everyone on board without breaking the bank. The other big question is will their computers run Pro Tools? Depending on what you ask of it PT can be demanding on the hardware and unforgiving in regards to hardware.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 02-15-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subverse View Post
installation it would cost more) for the band.
It would not be buying Pro Tools for myself, but for my band.
We are 6 persons, and I work with two computers, so that would make one licence on 7 ilocks.
Jean-Baptiste Trichard
Do you absolutely need PT 10 .
If you buy PT 9 you might be able to buy 6 legit copies of PT9 for the same price as PT10 .
If you yourself want to work with PT10 it is cross compatible with PT9 and possibly PT 8 if I remember correctly.
PT 9 is a great program . Missing a few features PT10 offers but if you are using it as a collaborative band song writing tool then the whole band doesn't need PT10 PT9 will work just fine .
They can be bought for about $100 / $150 each on ebay .

This is the way to go if you ask me , saves money but gives you exactly what you want PT10 and gives them a way to share there song ideas with full compatibly with you. PT9