Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2004, 10:48 AM

Default Recording production sound for video

I want to record production sound for a movie being shot on a JVC GYDV500U video camera. Do I need to make my sync settings match his camera settings, (ie: bit rate, SMPTE frame format, drop/non drop)or do I does this only need to be done in post production ? I am using the Mbox with PTLE.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:35 AM

Default Re: Recording production sound for video

Best is to match the samplefrequency, but keep the bitdepth at 24 bit.

Bastiaan
Old 05-23-2004, 03:35 AM

Default Re: Recording production sound for video

Absolutely have the sample rate ALWAYS matched to that of the digital camera, or you'll be in for some "funny" resampling later in editing, when picture and sound won't sync...

Standard for video is 48KHz, you can choose to work with either 16 or 24 bit resolutions, but to me 24 seems a bit of an overkill for film sound that's mostly dialog, you choose what to do.

All of the issues like frame rate, drop/ non drop etc.. have to be addressed in post if you don't work with a timecode generator (as I guess you are doing) that latches all of the camera/recorders on the set during production; in post if you need to synchronize you PT system to an outboard video deck then you'll have to take those settings into account to get proper sync, if you'll be working with QT movie files then you can set the parameters in the session setup window, but since the movie is playing along the audio within the same machine sync with outer world desn't matter.

Hope this helps

L.G.