Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 10-02-2010, 11:45 AM

Default Please add auto show file overwrite when adding/saving/editing snapshots!

I think this is really important as it is very easy to loose work when you forget to go in and overwrite the showfile. You hit Save on your snapshot and think you are saved when actually you always need to go in and manually overwrite the show file, only then your snapshots will be saved. If you don't do that and someone recalls another show you have lost your work. You might get something back going thru history, but it would be so much safer if show file was overwritten or if there was a preference to select if you want or not to overwrite showfile in the snapshots window.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Please add auto show file overwrite when adding/saving/editing snapshots!

Hey buddy...You should add what request to this site: http://protools.ideascale.com/

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 10-03-2010, 12:55 AM

Default Re: Please add auto show file overwrite when adding/saving/editing snapshots!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmillerjr View Post
Hey buddy...You should add what request to this site: http://protools.ideascale.com/
Hey, I'm sure you meant: http://avid.venue.ideascale.com/

I', not sure these sites work that well... The idea is great but I believe most people go in if they have an idea, post it even without searching if similar thing is up already and leave. Maybe they will look at couple of pages worth of ideas but then that's it.
I left this one here cause I think it's really important!

The show file save, or actually overwrite function is so hidden, that many people new to the Venue don't even know it's there. If they come in, create a show file, create some snapshots, keep the desk on and do their show they will be ok.

But lets say someone comes in, creates a show file, does snapshots, the soundchek goes fine all is well. As there is no big SAVE button next to the DELETE and other buttons in show file section he thinks the file is automatically updated or does not think about it at all as he has pushed SAVE on snapshots page so many times that he has a feeling that everything has been saved many times over. Now he comes in just before the show and just-to-be-safe recalls his show file. KABOOM! Everything is lost! Ah the Panic! As he's new to the desk so he does not know about history tab and he is screwed.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:32 AM

As you just have mentioned, there is an auto save function - History Tab - and it's working every time you modify/recall/store a snapshot. I think is a brilliant tool already and it's one of those power points of the D-Show software.

It's all about a workflow - you want to save your current state of work - go and overwrite! For people new on Venue - make sure by the time you start building up snapshots you know where and what that Overwrite Show File function is doing.
I personally don't need any other auto saving/overwriting functions other than History Tab. I need to implicitly hit overwrite show file when I decide to. From this perspective it's very analog style and I love that.

Radu
Old 10-03-2010, 09:43 AM

You probably know where overwrite is because you are interested in the console and probably use it a lot. For a person who needs to pull just one show and has not read the manual it will be nearly impossible to find this by themselves.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:37 AM

Whoops, yes, that is the link I meant. =) My bad!

I agree, digidesigner. I can potentially be frustrating to someone who doesn't know the desk well.

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 10-03-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidesigner View Post
You probably know where overwrite is because you are interested in the console and probably use it a lot. For a person who needs to pull just one show and has not read the manual it will be nearly impossible to find this by themselves.
For a person who needs to pull just one show and does not know where Overwrite show file and History tab are, snapshots are just a bit too far...Keeping the software and the control surface as they currently are in Venue world will, however, help that person to pull that show out.

Implementing yet an another level of auto saving/overwriting show file would park off History tab or it would create a conflict between the two. I rather have the choice of going back to my console's setting prior to getting a snapshot wrong than having the system automatically overwriting my show file every time I'm doing something wrong or right. Therefore you need to do it manually - Overwrite current show file.

Radu
Old 10-03-2010, 12:27 PM

I agree completely with Radu. I rely on the extreme flexibility of the current setup. As for new folks...well, saving and recalling your show file should probably be the first thing you learn to have any hope of a successful show, even a one-off. You don't need to be a Venue expert to get it down.

In fact, the ease of use in the file system is one of my favorite things about Venue. Its idiot proof! How many of us have screwed ourselves on a 5D, by saving the show, but recalling the wrong HA library or something equally as screwy.

I could maybe see adding a dedicated "Overwrite Current File" button on the save tab, but I see no need for another redundant level of autosave.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:56 PM

With Venue it is a bit confusing what you need to save and whatnot. You need to save your snapshots, but then again you don't need to save snapshot crossfade times. You need to save your Showfiles, but as there is no SAVE button you might get an impression the file is saved automatically. But it's not and I'm getting a midnight panic call.

All of the pro Venue users I know create a new/copy of the main show file for each and every gig. That is why I think auto overwrite is not a problem for most of them and I'm asking for a preference, not a default state of overwrite.

The Save or Overwrite button would also be a great move. Then it would be obvious that you need to push that.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:07 AM

I think this feature would add a lot of risk to the file management. I believe it's good the way it is, because it forces the operator to think about saving stuff.

The history function is great because it will bring you back to anywhere before large or important changes to the desk. If you would use any form of autosave if will overwrite your session every time without knowing. Where to go back to when everything fails? It is then better to have saved something you know you saved (and backed up) yourself than going to something the desk saved for you.

File management has become a serious part of our job. And anyone using the desk should be aware of the great functionality of the history and above all responisible for thier own files!

Kind regards,
Dennis