Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2022, 07:18 PM

Default Re: New "Mac Studio" from Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrixx View Post
You can find the open source stuff from Netflix here..

https://opencontent.netflix.com
That's the site I've been trying -- it finally worked today. Downloading...
Old 04-29-2022, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kings79 View Post
I agree with this.

Its really pointless for us to keep looking at the PT Activity Monitor. We've already confirmed this. You need to compare how the machine runs with tasks you know compared with how your old machine performs. Lets stop posting this.

BUT again. remember what Darryl has said above. Once the power of Apple Silicone is properly harnessed we can ACTUALLY compare things.

As for the constant complainer saying Apple has screwed us. I fail to see how one of the biggest advancements in computer silicone tech. The progression of the industry at large.. How this can be viewed as us all being screwed boggles the mind.

I've had my machine for a week. It's still in the box as I've been booked in another studio so I've not had time to set it up but when I do I will be posting my comparisons between this machine and my Maxed out 5,1 cMP using medium to large 5.1 TV mixes.
Here we go again. Super fan vs the rest of us.

Apple could have eased the transition for developers and had one more round of upgrades with intel. Instead they’re forcing developers to spend a ton of money to write code for new cpus without a fair amount of time for this transition. Users like myself that needed a new computer while wanting an upgrade in power are forced to buy old tech or dive in to the new and wait for devs to catch up. People like you will defend it and forgive them no matter what. That’s part of what allows apple to make moves like this. You haven’t used it yet, so you’re still just speculating due to your love for the fruit.

Oh and my opinion is based on how it performs, not just what the meter is showing me. It crashes more, bounces offline slower, and stops playback more frequently than my intel i9 iMac. It’s a bummer that it’s not as awesome as it could be, and I fear it will be obsolete before it can be used to its potential with pro tools.
Old 04-29-2022, 11:22 PM

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
Old 04-30-2022, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeatless View Post

Apple could have eased the transition for developers and had one more round of upgrades with intel. Instead they’re forcing developers to spend a ton of money to write code for new cpus without a fair amount of time for this transition. Users like myself that needed a new computer while wanting an upgrade in power are forced to buy old tech or dive in to the new and wait for devs to catch up. People like you will defend it and forgive them no matter what. That’s part of what allows apple to make moves like this. You haven’t used it yet, so you’re still just speculating due to your love for the fruit.

Oh and my opinion is based on how it performs, not just what the meter is showing me. It crashes more, bounces offline slower, and stops playback more frequently than my intel i9 iMac. It’s a bummer that it’s not as awesome as it could be, and I fear it will be obsolete before it can be used to its potential with pro tools.
I agree and No reason to be saddled with an underperforming soon to be obsolete POS...So being the humanitarian I am I would be willing sacrifice and take that machine off your hands for say $1k, (What are the specs again ? ) or since the Intel iMac is a faster more stable machine, maybe we can just trade machines ? I have the machine in my sig line it was purchased Dec of 2020

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 04-30-2022, 03:42 PM

Hahaha! No…. I’m waiting it out in hopes that it’ll improve before the m2 is released. Otherwise I’ll wish I had waited what looks like only a few more months (we all will). That’s how computers have always been though.
Old 05-01-2022, 07:40 PM

Quote:
I'm no super fan. I don't even use iPhones. Never have. I use a mac because my job requires me to use one.

You just complain and load every plug-in under the sun and expect everything to work.

Apple are going to progress to their new tech when it's ready. I'd do the same thing. There is nothing wrong with that and this stuff has been on the table for years now so the industry was awarer of it.

The bottom line is you bought an unsupported pice of kit and you just expected it to work. When it didn't you have bleated like a wounded cow, non stop despite you saying just now apple could have waited for another round blah blah blah.

You could have waited too but you didn't.

Sell your machine to K Roche. You OBV think it's a boat anchor anyway.
OS Monterey
ProTools Ultimate 2022.4
Presonus Quantum 4848
Mac Studio M1 10 Core, 64gig RAM
Sonnet Echo dual NVMe TB Dock
Blackmagic Decklink 3G
Old 05-01-2022, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Hahaha! No…. I’m waiting it out in hopes that it’ll improve before the m2 is released. Otherwise I’ll wish I had waited what looks like only a few more months (we all will). That’s how computers have always been though.

LOL

Are you still having issues? Mine is way more powerful than my cheesegrater. I would guess that going from your particular iMac to the Studio would be a jump in power but not a huge jump. I felt that way about going from the cheesegrater to the trashcan and I held out. Way back in 2007 I was told that in order to see a clearly noticeable difference in performance I needed to upgrade to a computer with at least double the processing power. I stick with that info even in 2022.

I'm still having issues with Protools CPU spikes when using the HD Native card so hopefully a fix it in the works being that Avid also sees the issue. 2022.4 didn't solve it but things are running pretty well with any other sound device.

"please stop OVER-complicating simple things"
Old 05-01-2022, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685 View Post
Way back in 2007 I was told that in order to see a clearly noticeable difference in performance I needed to upgrade to a computer with at least double the processing power.
Notice a difference how? It shouldn't take double the CPU just to "notice" a difference. And you might take a look at Geekbench results for the machines in question. Double doesn't even come close to describing the trashcan vs. the Studio in comprehensive comparisons.
Old 05-01-2022, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Notice a difference how? It shouldn't take double the CPU just to "notice" a difference. And you might take a look at Geekbench results for the machines in question. Double doesn't even come close to describing the trashcan vs. the Studio in comprehensive comparisons.
Exactly.

The Mac Pro 5,1's with the X5690's in them; are slightly more powerful than the trashcan and the computer in question is more powerful than the million dollar 28 core Mac Pro 7,1's (single core for the Max and both single and multi for the ultra). SO we are universes above power if coming from a Trashcan or Cheesegrater.

Currently PT isn't running native so at this point any 'noticable' difference is a huge bonus.
OS Monterey
ProTools Ultimate 2022.4
Presonus Quantum 4848
Mac Studio M1 10 Core, 64gig RAM
Sonnet Echo dual NVMe TB Dock
Blackmagic Decklink 3G
Old 05-02-2022, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685 View Post
LOL

Are you still having issues? Mine is way more powerful than my cheesegrater. I would guess that going from your particular iMac to the Studio would be a jump in power but not a huge jump. I felt that way about going from the cheesegrater to the trashcan and I held out. Way back in 2007 I was told that in order to see a clearly noticeable difference in performance I needed to upgrade to a computer with at least double the processing power. I stick with that info even in 2022.

I'm still having issues with Protools CPU spikes when using the HD Native card so hopefully a fix it in the works being that Avid also sees the issue. 2022.4 didn't solve it but things are running pretty well with any other sound device.
I wouldn’t say issues, like I’ve said repeatedly, it’s just not as good as I had hoped, and hopefully it will improve with updates. That hasn’t changed now that it is supported.

Is pro tools working better for you using a different playback engine/a third party interface? Previously I had much fewer cpu spikes using hd native instead of a thunderbolt lynx aurora n, but maybe that changed? I sold the aurora a few months ago because of this. I’ll test with built in audio today to see if I notice a difference. I actually just replied to someone asking about using aurora via thunderbolt mentioning that I’d get garbled audio frequently after CPU spikes. That never happens with hd native. But…. I do get that on my B rig (now my “old” iMac) using a UAD arrow. Changing the buffer and changing it back normally fixes it.

Last edited by thebeatless; 05-02-2022 at 05:34 AM.