Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2002, 08:38 PM

Default Re: I am now desperate! Please DUC - come through for me!!!

OK - Now XP installation disk thinks I have a virus???? I tried complete reinstallation of OS, and it won't go! I am using this comp right now. I installed NAV - found nothing. I guess tomarrow Ill just frickin' FDISK and start over unless someone has any ideas......
Old 11-29-2002, 08:45 PM

When you say you have disabled RAID, how?
If, in Device Manager, you disable the "Promise Technology Inc. Ultra IDE controller" under "SCSI and RAID Controllers", you are actually disabling the function of the entire card.
RAID is in the title of the controller, but unless you've specificaly setup a RAID array, you are not using that function of the controller.
You need the controller driver enabled to use the Ultra IDE part of the card.

Also, make sure DMA is enabled for that drive.

You are able to Explore the contents of this drive?
Old 11-29-2002, 08:51 PM

I am talking about the MOBO onboard RAID. The Promise card is functional, as is everything else in the system. DMA is not necessary because the controller automatically identifies it as a UDMA device on startup. That still doesn't explain the fact that PT won't boot, or the fact that NAV sees no virus, but Win XP installer does....I created a boot disk, but the damned thing won't boot. I really don't know what to do next, other than try installing a different hard drive - I can't even Fdisk! D'oh!!!!!!!
Old 11-29-2002, 08:56 PM

I am talking about the MOBO onboard RAID. The Promise card is functional, as is everything else in the system. DMA is not necessary because the controller automatically identifies it as a UDMA device on startup. That still doesn't explain the fact that PT won't boot, or the fact that NAV sees no virus, but Win XP installer does....I created a boot disk, but the damned thing won't boot. I really don't know what to do next, other than try installing a different hard drive - I can't even Fdisk! D'oh!!!!!!!
Old 11-29-2002, 09:43 PM

Managed to get the drive wiped (had to install on another comp and use Partition Magic - What a PIA!) Guess Ill be starting over in the AM. Thanks for the reply, JMS
Cinemafixer
Old 11-30-2002, 12:46 AM

Default I am now desperate! Please DUC - come through for me!!!

OK here's my system:
ALLEN system to spec:
xp 2400+
a7v333 R mobo (RAID disabled)
Generic NIC card (disabled)
ATI Radeon 7500
512 mb pc2700 ddr pc2700
Promise tx133 (slot 5)
Win XPhome
All basic XP tweaks listed in optimization thread (except anything to do with regedit etc)

Here are my IRQ's:
IRQ 0 System timer OK
IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard OK
IRQ 3 Communications Port (COM2) OK
IRQ 4 Communications Port (COM1) OK
IRQ 6 Standard floppy disk controller OK
IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse OK
IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel OK
IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel OK
IRQ 16 Radeon 7500 OK
IRQ 16 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller OK
IRQ 17 CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device OK
IRQ 17 Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller OK
IRQ 17 VIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller OK
IRQ 17 CNet PRO200WL PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter OK
IRQ 18 Digidesign Digi 001 OK
IRQ 19 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller OK
IRQ 19 WinXP Promise Ultra133 TX2 (tm) IDE Controller OK
IRQ 21 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller OK
IRQ 21 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller OK

Here's the scoop: Using IDE 0 for system and IDE1 for PT, I get 32+6 Davec. I'm quite pleased with that for a starting point. However, I have another PT drive (WD 80gb ata 133) with sessions on it. WHen I try to even open a session off of this drive, Protools crashes. (This drive is on Promise IDE1). no error messages no nothing - just stops responding. I had the card sharing with the Radeon, changed slots, no change. Also, my USB 2.0 drive has become a problem. Before installing the 2.0 drivers, it worked fine for playback, but as soon as I install the drivers on the asus disk, the whole machine crashes following 'autoplay' loading. How do I disable 'autpplay for all devices? Other than this promise trouble, The machine is working fine. Also - in the bios setup, I currently have the processor set to 2.0 ghz. does this mean that I am overclocking it, or can I go up to the 2500 mhz listing? while running the DAvec test, my processor runs at about 89-92 deg F. cpu core voltage is at 1.65v. Please help with whatever you can! Thanks
Cinemafixer
Old 11-30-2002, 11:21 AM

OK - I have wiped my drive. I have reinstalled the OS. I have reinstalled drivers. I have reinstalled Protools. IT WILL NOT BOOT. I got it to load once - I entered the serial number, it loaded. I closed it, created a restore point, attempted to boot PT, and same thing - DAE loaded and hang. I don't know what the frick this is! I am in a bad place - NEED to get this working - Client appointment at 4:00 - Im screwed if I can't get basic functioality back! Someone here must have an idea what this is - we all use the same computer, hardware, peripherals, OS etc... Please Help me!
Old 11-30-2002, 11:58 AM

It was the USB2.0 Driver on the ASUS CD. Anyone else have this problem? There is no update available due to some Microsoft licensing crap. Anyone have any success with it? Im feeling a bit screwed here - Why buy the MOBO with onboard RAID and 2.0 and FW if I have to disable RAID to get any performance, and USB2.0 is totally non-functional, and a PCI FW card is cheap? Oh well - at least Im running (only 31 DAVEC now, but Ill fix that) Ill leave this thread up because Im sure that someone will come across this problem in the future...
Old 11-30-2002, 01:43 PM

OK - some simple tweaks and Im back up and running at 32+6. Im sure Itll get better with more in-depth tweaking, but Im stable now - thats all the matters
Old 11-30-2002, 02:01 PM

Matt, Too bad I was out of town and just read this. I was gonna suggest disabling USB on the mobo - no, really! When looking at your IRQs, the USB is sharing with the Promise card, video card and NIC.

I was a little disappointed, too, when I built my machine. In order to get my Digi to have its own IRQ, I had to disable USB, Firewire and sound card. OTOH, my new Allen machine is such a huge upgrade from my P3 850 system that it's performance and stability is worth sacrificing the other bells and whistles.

Glad you're up and running.

[Added:]

FYI: Forgot to mention that I read on Microsoft's site that changing XP from an ACPI machine to a "Standard" machine would require a full reinstall of the OS. Although you could do it without reinstalling, Microsoft does not recommend it nor do they support that procedure.