Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Avid Cloud Collaboration
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2015, 04:21 AM

Default Re: Yes to cloud collaboration!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::F-L-E-X:: View Post
An interesting read in this month's SOS on Avid's Cloud plans :

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr1...g-off-0415.htm
I agree wholeheartedly with the author of the article. 90% of my creative output is a product of collaboration. Much of it international. Even I see no place for this service. IMO Avid have created a solution to a problem that simply does not exist for many.

Now I'm speaking about music here but a lot of the creative process is done on the contributors own terms. They 'fit it in' when they want and can. Rather than hook-up in real time.

Also a high proportion of talent don't seem to use PT as a tool for creation per se.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
I doubt it. There are still many studios choosing to keep their rigs offline.
And collab is a gimmick sale basically. Will never be used on the high end.

And the beta testers who "do the videos", don't actually use it. And won't. Its called marketing.

Does CLA use his Wave's plugins? No. Why would he.
He gets a great royalty check every quarter for it though. Is AVID any different?
EFI flashed 580 GPU
3 card PCI-e expansion chassis.
Avid Artist Control
Apollo 8 Quad, Satellite Quad, Octo Card
Cranesong Avocet Monitor System.
WireWorld ProAudio Cables
Old 03-20-2015, 04:25 AM

The SOS article is great. I laughed to myself too, remembering the failure of Rocket. But the article doesn't mention post-production. We need these tools in post!
Old 03-20-2015, 05:33 AM

Quote:
We need these tools in post!

I can totally understand the attraction to the Post sector - which makes Avid's pitch at the music sector all the more mysterious!

It is however hard to see it being a success when the prerequisite of using the service is having PT12. Due to stability issues & the new licensing model, many people (including some in Post) have little (or no) intention of upgrading further.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::F-L-E-X:: View Post
An interesting read in this month's SOS on Avid's Cloud plans :

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr1...g-off-0415.htm
It raises good points, but it misses a rather fundamental one - internet speeds have risen by an order of magnitude since 2001. I've no idea how well Rocket Network's solution worked, but I'd be amazed if it were smooth as silk. It might just have been a good idea whose time hadn't come. Maybe the author is correct, but it's a little silly to not even mention the screamingly obvious.

I agree with JFreak on this one - some will find it invaluable, others (most) will likely never touch it. It's been in Cubase for some time (at least the remote record part), and while it has not exactly set the world on fire, I think it's a useful asset.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 03-20-2015, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
It raises good points, but it misses a rather fundamental one - internet speeds have risen by an order of magnitude since 2001. I've no idea how well Rocket Network's solution worked, but I'd be amazed if it were smooth as silk. It might just have been a good idea whose time hadn't come. Maybe the author is correct, but it's a little silly to not even mention the screamingly obvious.

I agree with JFreak on this one - some will find it invaluable, others (most) will likely never touch it. It's been in Cubase for some time (at least the remote record part), and while it has not exactly set the world on fire, I think it's a useful asset.
Yes internet speeds have risen dramatically since the turn of the millenia and 56k dialup but unless the number of hops between backbone servers is cut down and speeds consistent all up and down the chain having 75 meg speeds won't mean much. Also not all isp's have such super speeds. You're going to need a perfect chain for collaboration to work as smooth as Avid would like it. Remember that in the demonstrations Avid has done they've faked the network; they've not actually had Tony Cariddi in NYC and Gil Gowing in LA on a demo that I can remember seeing. They've both been in the same room. Even if they went to an isp and back in from the same isp that's only a single hop as it were.

QAPLA!
Old 03-20-2015, 06:21 AM

You get what you pay for.

Guaranteed speed internet line costs more money than the cheapest you can find. It's just what you want to be buying; cheapest possible or guaranteed performance.

Actually same as in Native DAW versus DSP DAW. But whatever.

If there is a fiber connection to your site, you can always buy guaranteed bandwith (SDP) just like you bought ISDN versus regular analog modem back in the day.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:59 AM

Source Connect works pretty well usually if all parties have a fast, reliable connection (and of course that's a pre-requisite for anything vaguely challenging on the net). It does drop once in a while, but its usefulness outweighs its limitations. Anyway, compared to 2001, I'd say we have about a thousand times better chance of getting things working at least tolerably well now.

The real interest for cloud collab is two or more people working on the same project at the same time, at least for Post anyway (local multiple working could be very interesting, and sidesteps the security problems associated with the cloud depending on how Avid sets this up). I'm pretty sceptical on how well all this would work though, one can forsee all sorts of pitfalls.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 03-20-2015, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
You get what you pay for.

Guaranteed speed internet line costs more money than the cheapest you can find. It's just what you want to be buying; cheapest possible or guaranteed performance.

Actually same as in Native DAW versus DSP DAW. But whatever.

If there is a fiber connection to your site, you can always buy guaranteed bandwith (SDP) just like you bought ISDN versus regular analog modem back in the day.
Except Verizon FIOS doesn't offer guaranteed speed in my area but they do offer three speed levels - 25meg up/down, 50 meg up/down, 75 meg up/down. Comcast has guaranteed speed but they're not fiber optic here and their customer service is a joke, not to mention their system uptime availability.

QAPLA!
Old 03-20-2015, 07:31 AM

Hello. I will refer again to my post in this thread, #45. Here in the US ISDN is becoming harder and harder to keep for many reasons, the biggest of which is AT&T and others want to get rid of it.

And here in the US Source Connect or things similar to it are just simply not reliable enough even in big markets like New York, LA, etc.

If this works as advertised it will be the ISDN replacement that all people could use. For that alone it is extremely valuable.