Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 06-08-2020, 10:20 AM

Default Help! PLEASE recommend!!

I've asked before, but now it's more immediate. I have the latest Pro Tools (no card or Omni). I'm still on Sierra 10.13.6, mostly due to SoundBlade, which is still 32 bit. I record through a Scarlette 18i20. My 17" 2011 MacBook Pro is running on one fan. My wife's 3.06 core2 duo is also long in the tooth. What is a cost effective way out? Most of my tracking at this point is one instrument at a time. Or field recordings brought in to master and edit. I've been holding out for the 8 core i9's, but the 16" refurb is still over $2 grand. I look to replace my wife's iMac to a 21.5" 4k i5, (she's an art teacher) And with ed discount THAT is around $2 grand. Is shelling out $4 grand my only option?

Thank you all!!
Old 06-08-2020, 11:21 AM

Default Re: Help! PLEASE recommend!!

We had used soundBlade for many years, until we discovered HOFA's CD-Burn.DDP.Master plug-in. Available at:

https://hofa-plugins.de/en/plugins/cd-burn-ddp-master/

As a plug-in within ProTools, you simply export a 16-bit bounce of your mix and open it into the plug-in, which sits in a separate IO strip. It will automatically add track marks, if you wish, which are editable. If you have markers in your ProTools time line, you can also click on those and enter tracks marks based on your markers.

It will burn a CD or export a DDP file set, which is what we do for our CD replicator. You can always open the DDP with the plug-in and burn at a later time.

I really loved soundBlade as I had a Sonic Solutions mastering system back in the late 90s and LOVED it... but HOFA interfaces so well with ProTools, it's really a no brainer.

As far as your new Mac question, have you looked at the new Mini? There's lots of talk in other threads about how well it runs ProTools... even compared to a new Trash Can Mac. It could also be a great option for your wife's needs... just add a monitor and you're ready to go.

Good luck!!
Old 06-08-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Seaberg View Post
We had used soundBlade for many years, until we discovered HOFA's CD-Burn.DDP.Master plug-in. Available at:

https://hofa-plugins.de/en/plugins/cd-burn-ddp-master/

As a plug-in within ProTools, you simply export a 16-bit bounce of your mix and open it into the plug-in, which sits in a separate IO strip. It will automatically add track marks, if you wish, which are editable. If you have markers in your ProTools time line, you can also click on those and enter tracks marks based on your markers.

It will burn a CD or export a DDP file set, which is what we do for our CD replicator. You can always open the DDP with the plug-in and burn at a later time.

I really loved soundBlade as I had a Sonic Solutions mastering system back in the late 90s and LOVED it... but HOFA interfaces so well with ProTools, it's really a no brainer.

As far as your new Mac question, have you looked at the new Mini? There's lots of talk in other threads about how well it runs ProTools... even compared to a new Trash Can Mac. It could also be a great option for your wife's needs... just add a monitor and you're ready to go.

Good luck!!
Yes, I love SoundBlade as well. But I really appreciate your suggestion re: HOFA!! As far as the Mac mini, yes... But a laptop is essential for me. And my wife is a visual arts instructor. So mini mac's graphics wouldn't be ideal... Thank you!!
Old 06-08-2020, 03:26 PM

HOFA is great!!! The new Dell XPS 17 looks good. To be released summer 2020. https://www.tomsguide.com/news/dell-xps-17
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume