Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2022, 05:01 AM

Default Anyone using M2 MBP for Protools?

The price and spec are pretty good for M2 MBP. Anyone have tried it with Protools? I mainly do post work so the stability of video engine is a must.
Old 10-01-2022, 07:11 AM

Default Re: Anyone using M2 MBP for Protools?

I have been using a fully loaded M1 mini for over a year now, and while software is still far from native apple silicon, the performance and stability is impressive.

Also my fully loaded M2 air is yet to arrive (should be here soon), but I would not expect a huge performance boost even though it will have 24 gigs of memory compared to 16 gigs of M1.

Pro model should in theory be even more impressive as CPU throttling is still a factor with low-end models. I would not expect you having any trouble, just be advised that transition to Apple Silicon is still very much work in progress.
Old 10-01-2022, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I have been using a fully loaded M1 mini for over a year now, and while software is still far from native apple silicon, the performance and stability is impressive.

Also my fully loaded M2 air is yet to arrive (should be here soon), but I would not expect a huge performance boost even though it will have 24 gigs of memory compared to 16 gigs of M1.

Pro model should in theory be even more impressive as CPU throttling is still a factor with low-end models. I would not expect you having any trouble, just be advised that transition to Apple Silicon is still very much work in progress.

Thanks. Would you mind share your update when your M2 arrives? I don’t have any M1 so I am considering about M2. What version of Protools are you using? And how about it’s video engine performance? Is it only accept Prores 422?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-01-2022, 08:10 AM

Absolutely! Been waiting for it since launch day, but apparently there was huge demand for the fully loaded model.

M2 will be much better for you (compared to M1) because the video engine eats some gigs of memory and that is where M1 is very limited.

More info about video engine here.
Old 10-01-2022, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Absolutely! Been waiting for it since launch day, but apparently there was huge demand for the fully loaded model.

M2 will be much better for you (compared to M1) because the video engine eats some gigs of memory and that is where M1 is very limited.

More info about video engine here.

I know technically M2 will be better than M1. But as you know, it is still not officially qualified by Avid. Also, I know others who can’t enable video engine on M1 MBP, so that is what I worried about M2.

Old 10-01-2022, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by critictalk View Post
I know technically M2 will be better than M1. But as you know, it is still not officially qualified by Avid. Also, I know others who can’t enable video engine on M1 MBP, so that is what I worried about M2.

AVE works fine on M1 Mac but like Janne says, it chews up a ton of RAM. At least 4-6GB worth. Which means between Pro Tools and AVE running you’re almost maxed out on 16GB of RAM on any given day with other applications running at the same time.

You’re not limited on what Codecs will play back as long as they’re supported in Pro Tools.
I started with PT 2021.12 on my M1 machine but have kept up with subsequent releases. I suggest you run at least the latest version of PT as this will work best with Monterey.
Old 10-01-2022, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
AVE works fine on M1 Mac but like Janne says, it chews up a ton of RAM. At least 4-6GB worth. Which means between Pro Tools and AVE running you’re almost maxed out on 16GB of RAM on any given day with other applications running at the same time.

You’re not limited on what Codecs will play back as long as they’re supported in Pro Tools.
I started with PT 2021.12 on my M1 machine but have kept up with subsequent releases. I suggest you run at least the latest version of PT as this will work best with Monterey.

My friend got the M1 MBP, but the video engine never activated successfully. Try everything still no luck

Old 10-01-2022, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by critictalk View Post
My friend got the M1 MBP, but the video engine never activated successfully. Try everything still no luck

You don’t state any of particulars regarding your friend such as Pro Tools version, etc. etc. I can assure you it works. As long as you enable the video engine under the playback engine settings. If it didnt work you’d have thousands of screaming MBP users complaint about it.