Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2016, 06:45 PM

Default New iPad dock bugs

Can anyone else confirm these issues? All firmware updates and XML files deleted.

Just got dock last week. Hooked up direct thru Ethernet to be sure. iPad Air2.

Biggest issues:

1) pressing shift on dock, selecting a function on right right buttons like like "scroll H". Taking out of shift' go back to shift to see what is selected. 99% of the time the yellow light flickers then goes out even though it's still in that mode whether shift is on or not.

This is not an issue unless shifting on dock. Example jog stays green when shift is off. You can toggle shift and jog will stay lit when you toggle shift off.

2) master fader... If it's set to auto follow, selecting tracks by taping on screen with iPad won't move artist mix to same track. If it's on any other setting, then artist mix follows fine.

3) iPad tracks view (any of them) won't follow artist mix bank or nudge. Only if you select on Protools screen. That means more mousing around or keystrokes which is the whole reason I got he dock to avoid.

4) Is there a way to disable the horizontal and virtual pads from acting as the scroll wheel? It's a pain as when reaching for a button it's easy to glance one of these strips and lose your position in a session.

There are more issues like no Q for even Digi EQ 7! Come on guys, my control 24 is more has more capability and is more intuitive than this is right now. I see great potential for this interface for large session navigation but we are not there yet.

I don't think it's a hardware issue but in case anyone else can't replicate this, then maybe it is...

Can you other iPad dock early adopters chime in and confirm these issues?

Thanks!

PThd native 12.5.1
10.10.5 i7 laptop late 2014 running at 2.7gigs. Latest eucon (just installed)

By the way, PTs 12.5 solved the system peak issues that kept stoping playback! Great work guys! Once this is stable, I may leave my HD TDM 10.3.10 system behind. But not till these issues are worked out.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:24 AM

Default Re: New iPad dock bugs

Hi Gordon,
I'm sorry but I simply don't get what you mean with some of your problems but with two of them I can help:
Your topic 3): there are dedicated bank and nudge switches on the dock. In my test they worked as expected and changed the mixer view on the computer screen as well.
The Q for EQ7 thing is something I stumbled upon with the Channelstrip: Try to press the Sel button on the frequency field in the app. With Channelstrip Q appeared as a secondary function.
I hope that helps.

Best

Mark
Old 07-09-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Hookailo View Post
1) pressing shift on dock, selecting a function on right right buttons like like "scroll H". Taking out of shift' go back to shift to see what is selected. 99% of the time the yellow light flickers then goes out even though it's still in that mode whether shift is on or not.
I notice this as well.

Quote:
2) master fader... If it's set to auto follow, selecting tracks by taping on screen with iPad won't move artist mix to same track. If it's on any other setting, then artist mix follows fine.
I can confirm this as well.

Quote:
3) iPad tracks view (any of them) won't follow artist mix bank or nudge. Only if you select on Protools screen. That means more mousing around or keystrokes which is the whole reason I got he dock to avoid.
Yes to this also - will add that the dock does not bank the artist units either -just pro-tools and the ipad screen.

Quote:
4) Is there a way to disable the horizontal and virtual pads from acting as the scroll wheel? It's a pain as when reaching for a button it's easy to glance one of these strips and lose your position in a session.
- not that I have found

Quote:
There are more issues like no Q for even Digi EQ 7! Come on guys, my control 24 is more has more capability and is more intuitive than this is right now. I see great potential for this interface for large session navigation but we are not there yet.
As Mark Z said - if you press "sel" on the frequency field it will switch to Q
Old 07-09-2016, 09:48 AM

As always... Hardware capable of so much is halted by non intuitive implementation.

Hate that I can't bank my dock and S3 by sliding around the pro tools control app track view. It should totally be able to also shift and bank the s3 in tandem.

Also the dock attentioned fader for automation mode changes should simply be a one button press. Not a hold automation mode and press select. Again defeats the ideal purpose.

Also... Pro tools edit window still jumps around so oddly when performing different tasks. Just not at all a fluid combination and marriage between hardware and software.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyguelz View Post
As always... Hardware capable of so much is halted by non intuitive implementation.

Hate that I can't bank my dock and S3 by sliding around the pro tools control app track view. It should totally be able to also shift and bank the s3 in tandem.

Also the dock attentioned fader for automation mode changes should simply be a one button press. Not a hold automation mode and press select. Again defeats the ideal purpose.

Also... Pro tools edit window still jumps around so oddly when performing different tasks. Just not at all a fluid combination and marriage between hardware and software.
I agree. It is now January 2017 and still no fix for the mix window to follow when i drag left/right in the mixer view of the control app. Also, horrendous knobs responsiveness. shouldn't there have been an option to turn on 100% linear responsiveness from the get go?

Can we please stop buying Avid products that don't work? We're just telling them it's ok to release products of sub-par quality. We don't want to be your Beta testers. We want to actually use the gear with the functions that sold us on it in the first place.
Pro Tools Carbon | HD Native 2021.12 | HD I/O 8x8x8 | UA 4-710D | Avalon VT737 | Waves Mercury | Komplete 13 Ultimate Collector's | Kontrol S61 | Maschine Studio | Eleven Rack | Pro Tools Control w/ 9.7" iPad Pro | Pro Tools Dock | S1 | MacPro 7,1: 16-core 96GB RAM W5700X GPU OS 11 1TB SSD +OWC 1m2 2TB SSD (samples) +Sonnet M.2 4x4 4x2TB Samsung Evo Plus SSDs in RAID 0 (sessions)
Old 01-09-2017, 10:29 AM

I've got an "On the fence" question. I am and always have been a Windows guy. So I don't know much about Apple products. But if I buy a Dock, I'll HAVE to get an iPad.

I saw the system requirements on the Avid Spec page for the dock. But I'm not sure about the memory. the iPad Pros I've seen online come with 32GB, 128GB and 256GB. Normally, I'd just default purchase to the most memory available. But the 128GB version was $600 and the 256GB version jumped in price to over $1K (WTH?)!!!! As I'd only be purchasing the iPad to work in the dock and run PT Native and the equivalent Nuendo/Cubase apps, can someone here tell me how much memory I'd need to comfortably run those programs?

BTW, what's the difference between iPad Air and iPad Pro? Is there a power/features benefit to purchasing one over the other? Is one more suited to this particular task than the other? Thanks for any help on this.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________
My Rigg:
Nuendo 1 - 7 |VST Studio Connect Pro | Windows 10 Pro | Intel i7 - 5820K CPU @ 3.30 | 64-bit OS | 32GB of RAM |RME HDSPe RayDAT | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti Video Card | Euphonix MC Control, Mix & Transport | Xkeys | iConnectivity mi10 MIDI Interface | UAD-2 Octo Core with UAD-1 Legacy Ultra Pak | Isotope RX4 | Melodyne 3.2 | Voxengo Plugins | Real Guitar | B4 II | EZ Drummer | Drumagog 4 | Virtual Guitarist 2 | Korg, Roland, Kurzweil Synths | Apogee Big Ben | 32 Channel Panasonic DA-7 desk | Equator D5 (5.1) & Mackie 824 (St.) monitors | VS-1680 & 880 HDR's |
Old 01-09-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyplayerG View Post
I've got an "On the fence" question. I am and always have been a Windows guy. So I don't know much about Apple products. But if I buy a Dock, I'll HAVE to get an iPad.

I saw the system requirements on the Avid Spec page for the dock. But I'm not sure about the memory. the iPad Pros I've seen online come with 32GB, 128GB and 256GB. Normally, I'd just default purchase to the most memory available. But the 128GB version was $600 and the 256GB version jumped in price to over $1K (WTH?)!!!! As I'd only be purchasing the iPad to work in the dock and run PT Native and the equivalent Nuendo/Cubase apps, can someone here tell me how much memory I'd need to comfortably run those programs?

BTW, what's the difference between iPad Air and iPad Pro? Is there a power/features benefit to purchasing one over the other? Is one more suited to this particular task than the other? Thanks for any help on this.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________
My Rigg:
Nuendo 1 - 7 |VST Studio Connect Pro | Windows 10 Pro | Intel i7 - 5820K CPU @ 3.30 | 64-bit OS | 32GB of RAM |RME HDSPe RayDAT | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti Video Card | Euphonix MC Control, Mix & Transport | Xkeys | iConnectivity mi10 MIDI Interface | UAD-2 Octo Core with UAD-1 Legacy Ultra Pak | Isotope RX4 | Melodyne 3.2 | Voxengo Plugins | Real Guitar | B4 II | EZ Drummer | Drumagog 4 | Virtual Guitarist 2 | Korg, Roland, Kurzweil Synths | Apogee Big Ben | 32 Channel Panasonic DA-7 desk | Equator D5 (5.1) & Mackie 824 (St.) monitors | VS-1680 & 880 HDR's |
If it's solely going to be used for the app, you don't need much. I'd buy used or buy the least expensive new option (32GB Mini or iPad Pro 9.7"). The pro tools app doesn't seem like it requires that much horsepower. I got lucky over the holidays and found an open box 128GB iPad Pro (9.7") while it was already on sale ($200 off) at Target and got it for about $510 out the door, but I only spent that much because I plan to use the thing for video stuff too. If I were just using the Pro Tools control, I'd be more than fine with a 16/32GB mini. The problem here is that sometimes you don't realize how useful the iPad will be to you until you start using it for other things. In cases like this, i'd hate for you to end up with buyers' remorse and want to upgrade shortly after. Everyone's usage is different so that's a judgement call you'll have to make.
Pro Tools Carbon | HD Native 2021.12 | HD I/O 8x8x8 | UA 4-710D | Avalon VT737 | Waves Mercury | Komplete 13 Ultimate Collector's | Kontrol S61 | Maschine Studio | Eleven Rack | Pro Tools Control w/ 9.7" iPad Pro | Pro Tools Dock | S1 | MacPro 7,1: 16-core 96GB RAM W5700X GPU OS 11 1TB SSD +OWC 1m2 2TB SSD (samples) +Sonnet M.2 4x4 4x2TB Samsung Evo Plus SSDs in RAID 0 (sessions)