Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2010, 07:05 PM

Default Insert Time, gutter1 Playlist Bug

Anybody else seen this? I've only noticed it since upgrading to PT9, but from the couple of search results that turned up, it appears to have been around in some form at least since PT8.

Inserting time when in playlist view (which, I believe, is the only way to insert time on all playlists -- please correct me if I'm wrong) causes a new empty playlist to be created, named "gutter1."

It doesn't seem to cause any trouble or do much of anything, it's just there.

It appears that if I delete the "gutter1" playlist, the next time I try to insert time while in playlist view, it refuses, citing an insertion error. Restarting Pro Tools fixes this.

I've also seen it create subsequent "gutter2" and "gutter3" playlists, though I haven't tried to pin down the exact workflow that causes this.

So what's the story? What is the gutter playlist? Hell, what is the gutter? That word doesn't appear in the PT Reference Guide, the Knowledge Base, or the online PT Help page that launches from the Help menu. I've also never run across the term ever before in any documentation or through everyday use of Pro Tools. Very odd.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:56 AM

Default Re: Insert Time, gutter1 Playlist Bug

I'll bump this. Same thing came up today. It's not precluding me from completing any work, but it's certainly annoying. Haven't found any helpful info, only other people stumped on this one.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:18 PM

What I think "gutter" is for is to make all playlists have and equal amount of playlists when you expand and try to do an edit on ALL playlists.

Maybe avid dude can give the proper textbook explanation.

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 13.6.6 Ventura,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3.1, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:08 AM

Well, for my part, I digress. It's really not that annoying. What bugged me yesterday when I inserted time, was that all the inactive playlist regions (all tracks in playlist view) got changed to the same color, which is a dumb thing to complain about, I know. I changed them back manually, not a huge inconvenience. I guess aesthetic matters . . . .
Old 03-26-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisAndreas View Post
Well, for my part, I digress. It's really not that annoying. What bugged me yesterday when I inserted time, was that all the inactive playlist regions (all tracks in playlist view) got changed to the same color, which is a dumb thing to complain about, I know. I changed them back manually, not a huge inconvenience. I guess aesthetic matters . . . .
Yeah. Totally messes with the colors. Looks like a rainbow.

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 13.6.6 Ventura,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3.1, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.