Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2016, 10:22 AM

Default Re: Should we install 12.6.1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by del cosmos View Post
Thats the logical thinking, unfortunately thats not Avid's intention here.

Its amazing how many people are jumping to Studio One, musicians and music producers mostly, Avid forgot music people many years ago.

I think in the future, Studio One would be the standard for music production and Protools would continue as the leader in post and Mixing.

Maybe I'm wrong, lets see what happens.
Unfortunately, this is why many of us now live in a Muti-Daw world. I'm primarily a midi/VI user/composer and PT just doesn't cut it with a heavy VI load, so Logic, Studio One and Reaper are my go to's depending on what I'm doing. I can have damn near every VI from Komplete loaded and work comfortably at a buffer of 64, sometimes 32 without issue in Reaper. The question becomes, if Cockos can do it, why can't Avid?

I look at it this way - many people are multilingual - I'm just multi-DAW-lingual.

I admire the audio-only guys that can get along with PT, but for me, big heavy VI sessions are now a tough ask for the program. Bounce and Track Freeze are nice, but I've never had to use those features in Logic, S1 (and especially) Reaper - unless it was to build an effect, and not because my software couldn't handle it.

tg
Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.5 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 7 / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X
Old 12-02-2016, 10:40 AM

+1

I believe we are seeing the residual effects of moving the engineering team twice in five years. It's normal for a new engineering team to take some time to get up to speed, and for there to be growing pains along the way.

That said, a number of users have maintained their license plans in hopes of getting a solid version, so the original point is valid - bugs do help sell the subscription plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
If only they were that clever.

Instead, I think it's just them being a big, clunky, public, 90s style tech company.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Yes, the MIDI timing bug(s) from 12.6 is fixed.

For me, under OS Sierra, the GUI is terribly slow. Sliding audio or MIDI events sooner or later is laggy. Adjusting faders and sends is equally slow. Pans, same thing. With smaller sessions it's less of an issue but never as snappity fast as previous versions of PT/OS.

Also, I ran video all day and not once did the video engine stop, something that was pretty common w/ 12.5.x.
Same here man. It's weird because I had the GUI lag issue in El Capitan, but 12.5.2 fixed it. Then I upgraded to Sierra and 12.6 and the problem came back. Clean install, reformat, SSD/Fusion Drive/7200 HDD makes no difference.

I'm on a Late 2015 5k iMac, so I wonder if it's something with the GPU or retina upscaling.

There is a temporary solution though! Get Info on Pro Tools in finder and put it in Low Resolution Mode. It's snappy as ever, just a bit pixelated on some windows.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:

I admire the audio-only guys that can get along with PT, but for me, big heavy VI sessions are now a tough ask for the program. Bounce and Track Freeze are nice, but I've never had to use those features in Logic, S1 (and especially) Reaper - unless it was to build an effect, and not because my software couldn't handle it.

tg
Anyone serious about composing using PT VI's? I can't remember the year i gave up on pro tools for any midi scenario.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
+1

I believe we are seeing the residual effects of moving the engineering team twice in five years. It's normal for a new engineering team to take some time to get up to speed, and for there to be growing pains along the way.

That said, a number of users have maintained their license plans in hopes of getting a solid version, so the original point is valid - bugs do help sell the subscription plans.
This is what I've been saying, development has been outsourced to the Ukraine and then moved to Poland. Major upheavals, hence the apparent lack of devlopment last year.

Every DAW has bugs. I'm well informed that Avid's beta testing programme is very well organised and has a VERY dedicated development team. To be honest, the idea that Avid is deliberately building in or not fixing bugs is way off the mark.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
This is what I've been saying, development has been outsourced to the Ukraine and then moved to Poland. Major upheavals, hence the apparent lack of devlopment last year.

Every DAW has bugs. I'm well informed that Avid's beta testing programme is very well organised and has a VERY dedicated development team. To be honest, the idea that Avid is deliberately building in or not fixing bugs is way off the mark.
I agree sounds pretty far out
But then again this did to until I re read it, and chuckled..... "Darth Vadar Nipple 12 Core Mac "

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 12-02-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro perez View Post
[QUOTE

tg
Anyone serious about composing using PT VI's? I can't remember the year i gave up on pro tools for any midi scenario.[/QUOTE]

Yes. Me. I admit 12.4/5 were a nightmare but 12.6.1 is VERY solid despite some outstanding bugs.

I've been through all the DAWs. Yes PT has too much missing MIDI functionality but for me, working in PT as composer, I work WAY faster and write more music, get paid more so can afford an S6 which makes me work way faster again.

I also think PT's MIDI side is underrated. There's stuff you can do in PT which is way more fiddly in Logic and I'm speaking as a Logic veteran who started at 2.5 when Logic installed from two floppy disks.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by del cosmos View Post
Thats the logical thinking, unfortunately thats not Avid's intention here.

Its amazing how many people are jumping to Studio One, musicians and music producers mostly, Avid forgot music people many years ago.

I think in the future, Studio One would be the standard for music production and Protools would continue as the leader in post and Mixing.

Maybe I'm wrong, lets see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So far it does look that way! Studio One 3 Pro is my main Daw of choice these days. I still use PT but not as much. Mostly to transfer stuff to S1.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_J View Post
Just did this (12.5.2>12.6.1). No problems. Didn't uninstall anything. Everything is working fine.
good to know!
24GB RAM
UAD Satellite Quad
UAD Apollo Twin
Old 12-02-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
Yes. Me. I admit 12.4/5 were a nightmare but 12.6.1 is VERY solid despite some outstanding bugs.

I've been through all the DAWs. Yes PT has too much missing MIDI functionality but for me, working in PT as composer, I work WAY faster and write more music, get paid more so can afford an S6 which makes me work way faster again.

I also think PT's MIDI side is underrated. There's stuff you can do in PT which is way more fiddly in Logic and I'm speaking as a Logic veteran who started at 2.5 when Logic installed from two floppy disks.
I am really in two minds about continuing with PT. PT users say the midi sucks, but as I never used any other DAW I dunno what I am missing! What am I missing? Also plenty Logic users complain about audio and say PT is the best for handling and editing audio.
24GB RAM
UAD Satellite Quad
UAD Apollo Twin