Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2001, 11:49 AM

Default McDSP Analog Channel for tracking

McDSP claims this plug-in ends the digital vs. analog debate. Knowing these guys I'm sure it sounds killer. What I'm wondering about is the AC-1 portion of the plug-in, specifically for tracking? Here's what they say on their website:

"AC1 - Pure digital tracks can suffer from harsh digital clipping. AC1 acts as a 'digital pre-amp' allowing even excessive amounts of gain without digital distortion. A drive control determines where the audio 'sits' in the saturation/compression region, and even the attack and release times of the distortion character are adjustable. And AC1 is the most efficient McDSP plug-In ever - up to 24 mono channels or 16 stereo channels on a single MIX dsp chip. Place it across the entire mix to create a custom analog console."

Sounds great. But what I'm wondering is, can you use this for tracking and will it act as a limiter to avoid digital clipping? If this is the case would love to use this plug-in for tracking drums in lieu of using outboard comps/limiters. But I somehow doubt this is the answer. Please tell me it is....
Old 04-20-2001, 01:58 PM

Default Re: McDSP Analog Channel for tracking

No hahahahaahaha

BUT the good news is those guys ARE killer! And it's bound to be good!

Nothing except something analog before your converters will stop converter overload. (Like hopeing a bumper in your living room will stop your car parked out in the street getting dented)

I immagine setting up a Aux for each input will allow the 'printing' of this sure to be cool tape effect. Thats no big deal, just will make you cross eyed at first when you look at your mixer page!

Jules
www.gearslutz.com
Old 04-20-2001, 01:58 PM

dp

[This message has been edited by Jules (edited April 20, 2001).]
www.gearslutz.com
Old 04-20-2001, 05:16 PM

>Nothing except something analog before your converters will stop converter overload.

Exactly what I was thinking Jules, since the signal has to go to the converter before it even hits software. But I was holding on to a shred of hope reading the marketing spin that somehow this was different. Why even boast that it "allows excessive amounts of gain without digital distortion"? Anyway...

Anyone tried this thing yet?

Old 04-20-2001, 07:39 PM

I'm trying the demo right now, and have to say i like it alot. I have FB and CB, and i surely will be adding the Analog channel to my plug-in arsenal. Lots of presets, and combos to give yourself a wide variety of analog type sounds to your digital recordings. I'm a big fan of the McDSP stuff, and although my credit card could do with a break, i'll be picking it up soon. Another great plug-in from the folks at McDsp.

haze
Old 04-20-2001, 11:19 PM

haze, where'd you get the demo. the mcdsp has it listed but no link to a demo??????
Old 04-21-2001, 02:11 AM

I tried to get the demo also but it seems as if they removed all the links.

Jason
Old 04-21-2001, 05:14 AM

Hi guys, Just bought Analog Channel, and so far so good ! Boom, Thwack & Creamy Goodness in one tasty package. Doesn't seem to have err.. "tape hiss" like DAD tape, though !I'll post some stuff when I have a chance to get to grips with it..

mixing coach
Old 04-21-2001, 06:49 AM

It is a frighteningly cool tool. I'm having a new leather tool-belt built with a special harness for my Analog Channel!

B
Old 04-21-2001, 08:09 AM

I got my demo from Colin himself. I'll let him know to get going on a downloadable version on the website.

haze