Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2002, 08:14 AM

Default Error type 3 on HD system

Hi,
just thought someone knows why this is happening,
on one session yesterday I get Error Type 3 everytime I quit ProTools and relaunch it. When the error occurs (seems like during WaveShell3 load), the launch process hangs, and I had to do a hard reboot. Is there anyway to gracefully kill a process (a'la Microsoft Task Manager or UNIX kill -9 procname) without hard reboot ?

I imagine the hard reboot can't be good for the filesystem.

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Hey, this is my first crash with Protools (user since January) I thought PT is supposed to be perfect .... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks,
Old 04-18-2002, 08:56 PM

Default Re: Error type 3 on HD system

I dont know if you have a Midiman USB interface,but if you do try turning off the extension.This problem will go by by..
Old 04-19-2002, 05:33 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally posted by Haniel Trisna:
Is there anyway to gracefully kill a process (a'la Microsoft Task Manager or UNIX kill -9 procname) without hard reboot ?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">-Although not perfect, you can Force Quit the application:
Command+Option+Esc

-Even if you are successful getting back to the Finder, I would suggest restarting the compuer.

regarding the type 3 error:
-Trash the DigiSetup File, Pro Tools preference, and DAE prefs (the entire folder) from the System Folder>Preferences folder. Empty the Trash and restart the Mac.

-Since this is specific to 1 session, it may be corrupt. Create a new session, use the File>Import Tracks command to transfer the tracks into the new session file.

-Increase the Preferred Memory size of Pro Tools by 50-60MB. Never change the Minimum memory size. If you have, you can set it back to the default setting by typing a 0 into the field and press Enter on the numerical keypad.

Brent
Old 04-19-2002, 09:56 AM

I had exactly the same problem in an HD system after I installed the cs2 version of 5.3.
Old 04-19-2002, 03:42 PM

What does trashing these 3 files actually do ? Does it reset some preferences that I have to redo ?
Quote:
Originally posted by DigiTechSupt:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Haniel Trisna:
Is there anyway to gracefully kill a process (a'la Microsoft Task Manager or UNIX kill -9 procname) without hard reboot ?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">-Although not perfect, you can Force Quit the application:
Command+Option+Esc

-Even if you are successful getting back to the Finder, I would suggest restarting the compuer.

regarding the type 3 error:
-Trash the DigiSetup File, Pro Tools preference, and DAE prefs (the entire folder) from the System Folder>Preferences folder. Empty the Trash and restart the Mac.

-Since this is specific to 1 session, it may be corrupt. Create a new session, use the File>Import Tracks command to transfer the tracks into the new session file.

-Increase the Preferred Memory size of Pro Tools by 50-60MB. Never change the Minimum memory size. If you have, you can set it back to the default setting by typing a 0 into the field and press Enter on the numerical keypad.

Brent
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Old 04-21-2002, 03:51 AM

Hi there !

Same problem for me, error 3 when quiting the soft, sometimes freezes when lauching after Machine control plug starts....
G4 933, 1 Giga Ram, HD2, Atto Express PCI, Miro DC30+, Basic extensions set, OS 9.2.2.

Hey Digi, I trashed the files but that not helps !

I FEEL BAD ABOUT THIS [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 04-21-2002, 07:37 AM

Do any of you have the Midiman USB interface?If you do it is without question your problem.Error type 3 are Mac OS error's when the finder quits it has lost ram allocation trashing the preffs, may for the moment solve the problem but it will be back,along with some error type 2's.
Old 04-21-2002, 08:50 AM

I've experienced similar problems. I just switched from a rock solid Mix3 to HD3. The errors pop up during loading of PT 5.3. I created a new boot partition with a clean install of OS 9.1 and reinstalled only the apps that I absolutely need. So far it has been stable. HD and 5.3 has been considerably more prone to these errors than Mix and 5.1.1.

No I don't have a Midiman USB interface.

Busch.
Old 04-21-2002, 02:21 PM

Hi everyone !

I don't use any MidiMan USB Interface, I use a Emagic Unitor 8 MK2.
I feel the same with the HD system, as my last Mix5 was REALLY rock solid.
But, I have to say it was running on a G4/450 mac OS 9.0.4.
Do you guys think a PT update could fix it ????
Old 04-21-2002, 07:43 PM

I don't even have a MIDI interface. My setup is exactly this:
PowerMac G4 733 (new), HD3, ProMax DH Max dualhead video, 2 Maxtor ATA 133 drives in addition to the ATA that ships with Mac, Kingston SDRAM 512MB in addition to the 128 MB that ships with Mac.