Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 04-28-2022, 03:25 PM

Default Routing for HP Mix Systems in Sync...

So, I'm giving my Carbon one last chance on one more project. I'd gone back to TDM in the meantime, but have a few days break which gives me time to try my Carbon once more.

There are two issues that have to be overcome for this to work.

1. First is the sync issue - using the workarounds I am able to get punch-ins in consistently staying in sync (even though everything records early still). Disappointed this STILL hasn't been addressed. At least it's sort of workable.

2. Second issue is I cannot get a multi output setup to work (using an analog Furman headphone mix system here) without comb filtering/phasing issues. Not all outputs have the same delay.

Obviously, unlike TDM, delay compensation is ignored during recording on Carbon, which mix we're back to MIX system tricks of putting the same plugin across each set of outs, etc. to try to maintain sync.

However, I can't seem to get any of my usual setups for multi outs to EVER be outputting at the same converter delay across all outputs.

Main outs seem to have a different converter delay (or processing delay) from the line outs. Both line outs and main outs are different from headphone outs.

What is the most reliable way to get my main mix as the primary and 6 more channels as "more me" for the headphone mix system to all be in phase?

With Carbon you CANNOT assign to multiple outs from a channel or send because of the hybrid engine. I understand the restriction, but it makes this nearly impossible. Without delay compensation being active during recording with the hybrid engine, this also makes it quite difficult to keep things in line even WITHOUT different converter delays from the different outputs.

Ideally, I'd have a master bus that would also have an aux send to hardware outs 7/8 and that's my main mix. I'd then send the "more me" sends to the other hardware outs. This doesn't work with Carbon, though, because it's all different delays and comb filtered...