Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 08-15-2022, 05:45 AM

Default Can I use HDX with Pro Tools studio?

I have pro tools HD9 along with HEAT (ilok) that I bought individually and use with my 192/i/o registered in my account.

I also have an HDX card and an omni interface that I've put on the side because I wasn't sure what to do with.

Question: Can I upgrade my HD9 to pro tools studio perpetual from sweetwater for $200 and use it with my HDX card, omni and HEAT? or is it only FLEX that supports HDX and omni?

Also, sweetwater pro tools finder asks if my HD9 is current ($200) or expired ($250) for the upgrade to perpetual studio. Am I correct in saying it is not expired because HD9 doesn't expire?

Thank you
Old 08-15-2022, 06:03 AM

Default Re: Can I use HDX with Pro Tools studio?

You can only use HDX with Pro Tools Flex Ultimate) If you have a current support plan for HD9 then it’s not expired. But if you have a current support plan then there is no reason to do what your thinking of doing.

A new Pro Tools version will be in your Avid account, assuming your support plan is current.

If you do not have a current support plan then you will need to follow the instructions on Sweetwaters site for no support plan.

Also, you currently own a perpetual license for HD9 (Pro Tools Ultimate). So, to get current, your price will most likely be $499 for the Pro Tools Ultimate Perpetual License Upgrade.
https://www.avid.com/resource-center...o-tools-lineup

Last edited by its2loud; 08-15-2022 at 06:14 AM.
Old 08-15-2022, 06:27 AM

OH I think I understand now. Pro Tools HD9 is considered ultimate! OK so from the sweetwater pro tools finder I should do the following:

pro tools flex > I have perpetual license ultimate > expired > $499

Thanks you its2loud

2 quick questions

1: will I be able to use pro tools flex offline after I have transferred the license to my ilok2 and did the initial online launch and log in?

2: Do I need to buy anything such as a digilink license to work with omni

I'm sorry, I've just been out of the game for a while, I just feel like starting it up again but the whole business model changed
Old 08-15-2022, 06:39 AM

You might want to think about computer specs. It’s likely they’re not compatible if you’re using the same system you ran HD9 on.

Your ilok2 will work fine for authorization once you transfer your current license to it.

You do not need to purchase a Digilink license.
Old 08-15-2022, 06:45 AM

Thanks again. Very much appreciate your clarity.
PC is new intel 12700k - Asus Z690 - 32g ddr4 3600mhz. It'll be fine :)
Old 08-15-2022, 07:11 AM

I’m not a Windows user so I can’t comment on PC specs for Pro Tools so I’ll take your word for it.

Good luck with the upgrade.