Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2013, 03:18 PM

Default can I chose both analogue and Madi inputs?

House of worship,

can I chose both analog and Madi inputs, or am i stuck with a one or the other type option?

We have upwards of 64 inputs at our FOH, A dshow, but we only have 48 XLR lines via our splitter to monitors. in the past the inputs about 48 we never sent to monitors ( choir and room mics)

I want to have all my FOH inputs at monitors, but I don't wan to add more splitters and have pull more cable.

If our FOH Dshow desk is sending a MADI out to a Profile mix rack at monitor position, mirroring the inputs, would the monitor desk be able to chose its inputs from both its own analouge inputs and Madi inputs?

I want to use analouge line 1-48 coming form the splitter so the gain staging is independent of the FOH gain stage, then the rest of the line via the Maid split, which is slaved to FOH in and therefor muse follow the FOH gain in the course steps. As I said, These lines above 48 are 8 Choir mics, Tv VTR playback, 4 room mics , talk back... things that once set never really change.

Is this is a option , to chose between analog and Madi inputs, or am i stuck with a one or the other type option?

Last edited by amerikiwi; 05-03-2013 at 11:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-05-2013, 11:06 AM

Default Re: can I chose both analogue and Madi inputs?

I don't use MADI, but since it should work like HDx works then the answer is yes you can. You will need to use Assignables, so that means you got up to 16 channels that way. On both systems you choose stage racks as your main inputs, on the FOH D-Show you send the channels you want to show up at monitor Profile as Direct Outs sent to Assignables 1-16 (don't forget to turn direct outs on). On the monitor end you then pick these 1-16 up from MADI Assignables and off you go.

That being said, if I were you and your both systems have two stage racks I would just get more splitter channels.