Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2010, 01:02 PM

Default CAN ANYONE HELP? :( I bought M Powered 8 and can't even install off the disk!

I just received Pro Tools M-Powered 8 in thr post and am extremely excited to get it going.
I've been using Cubase for a number of years in music production now and felt the time to make the switch had come.

However upon trying to so much as even run the set up from the DVD and literally a blank dialog box appears which says "Welcome to Pro Tools M-Powered" and has a grey area underneath. I can't get further than that.

Is there anyway of downloading the setup installation and then carrying on afterwards with my licence etc?

I'm so confused if I can't even get past the first stage. I'm not exactly unfamiliar with computers and now I know there's even an update for Windows 7 is great, but not if I can't get the bloomin' thing on here first.

Please please someone help! I have tried looking for other people's posts on the forums but so far haven't found anybody with the same issue...

Custom Built PC with:

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @2.40 Ghz 2.39 Ghz
6.00 GB RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate - 64 Bit
M-Audio Fast Track Pro (USB)
Pro-Tools M-Powered 8 (.0.3)

Last edited by bezley; 07-29-2010 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Left off my System Specs
Old 07-29-2010, 05:22 PM

Default Re: CAN ANYONE HELP? :( I bought M Powered 8 and can't even install off the disk!

A few things to try, download the 8.0.4 update(assuming you have registered your software, which you need to do anyway). Read thru the install instructions at least twice as making a mistake(like treating it as any OTHER software install) could leave traces of PT on your system that keep screwing things up(the PT8 disk should have an uninstall utility that you should run. You also need to have the red iLok that comes with the software. On the LE side, with Win7-64 bit, you are to install the ver. 8 software but NOT connect the interface when it asks. Instead, you finish and reboot, then run the 8.0.4 updater and connect the interface when asked. Only after that last reboot, can you actually open Pro Tools(LE users would then type in a code, but MP users get the red iLok instead). BTW, you can go from ver. 8 to 8.0.4 without any of the in-between updates.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-30-2010, 01:30 PM

Default Re: CAN ANYONE HELP? :( I bought M Powered 8 and can't even install off the disk!

The only problem is I can't even install Pro Tools 8. As soon as I try to install from the DVD nothing happens. I believe the updates only work if you have some sort of version already on your system. I'm still patiently waiting for customer support to reply since other users have said they got given a download link in the past.

In the mean time I'm running out of ideas. Does anyone know of some software that might rip my DVD to the hard drive so that I can try installing it that way rather than off the disc directly?
Old 07-30-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezley View Post
The only problem is I can't even install Pro Tools 8. As soon as I try to install from the DVD nothing happens. I believe the updates only work if you have some sort of version already on your system. I'm still patiently waiting for customer support to reply since other users have said they got given a download link in the past.

In the mean time I'm running out of ideas. Does anyone know of some software that might rip my DVD to the hard drive so that I can try installing it that way rather than off the disc directly?
You need to put in a support ticket at AVID

Go to www.avid.com and register and then put in a support ticket Mon-Fri. They should be able to get to you the very next day.

After you register go to http://www.avid.com/US/contact/audio and click on "contact avid support over the web" and then just login and put in your support ticket.

I had same issue as you and they sent me a virtual download link. Let me show you what i put in my ticket.

Subject: Installation CD is not functioning properly

Description: I bought my copy of Pro Tools with the midi keyboard at my local best buy. The first time I put the installation CD into my disk drive it was readable and everything would install fine. When I would try to run the program it would not start up because it could never find the midi keyboard. Later I found out that pro tools was not compatible with windows 7 at the time. So I waited a long time till it finally was compatible with windows 7 and when I tried to reinstall the disk, my disk drive would not even read the disk anymore and could never find it. I tried everything to get it to run, but seems like my disk is corrupt or something. I reformatted my whole computer and I still couldn't manage to get the disk drive to recognize the disk. I put the disk into my other computers and I have same problem, the disk is not being read. Therefore it is not a problem with my computer or disk drive. Best buy couldn't return my software or do an exchange even though I still have my receipt. I heard on forums, people receiving assistance and a download link to a virtual download of the program. This might just work for me as well. Please help me out.

Good Luck, Hope this helps.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:03 PM

Shame on me for missing this the first time around. I don't believe that any version of Pro Tools is compatible with Vista 64 bit.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-31-2010, 01:48 AM

According to the knowledge base,64 bit Vista is not officially supported but Avid say there are lots of people running Pro Tools using 64bit.

What you must do is to make sure you have the 64 bit drivers installed,they are available from M-Audio's website.

If you need more info,go to the top of the page and choose Compatibility and Upgrade Information from the menu and read up on it.

Hope this helps,let us know if it works.

Alan
Old 07-31-2010, 04:35 PM

Thanks for the support guys.

I actually registered on Digidesign on Thursday night and sent them a case. They hadn't got back to me by Friday nor today so I'm hoping I'll hear soon. If their offices are Mon-Fri I'll let them off, but I'm just so disappointed it wasn't a straight forward install and bam everything works.

Btw I'm running Windows 7 - 64 Bit not Vista, unless that comment wasn't actually about my system?

I've seen that the new update is compatible for Windows 7 and people managed to get it running even before that anyway. At least I know it's not my system since so many people have had this disc problem. What about all the plug-ins and virtual instruments etc that come from the DVD too.

Will I be able to install those if they send me a virtual link?

As soon as I hear any more info I'll let you all know.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezley View Post
Thanks for the support guys.

I actually registered on Digidesign on Thursday night and sent them a case. They hadn't got back to me by Friday nor today so I'm hoping I'll hear soon. If their offices are Mon-Fri I'll let them off, but I'm just so disappointed it wasn't a straight forward install and bam everything works.

Btw I'm running Windows 7 - 64 Bit not Vista, unless that comment wasn't actually about my system?

I've seen that the new update is compatible for Windows 7 and people managed to get it running even before that anyway. At least I know it's not my system since so many people have had this disc problem. What about all the plug-ins and virtual instruments etc that come from the DVD too.

Will I be able to install those if they send me a virtual link?

As soon as I hear any more info I'll let you all know.
Make sure you put what version of protools you have. They will ask for this. Depending on your version of protools, that will determine whether yours comes with plugins and vst's. I have Pro Tools Essenstials 8.02 Keystudio 49, so mine didn't come with anything. They will choose the appropriate virtual download link, depending on your version of pro tools and send it to you. You can always try to lie, but that usually doesn't get anyone anywhere. Good luck and keep us up to date.