Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2002, 07:30 AM

Default reverb while tracking

I'm sure this has been answered, but.... I cannot hear busses or plug-ins on a record -enabled track. I know this is true of low latency mode and it seems a small price to pay, but is there any work around.

I record a lot of different vocalists many of whom prefer a wet mix in the phones while tracking.

Any thoughts (besides by a TDM system)?

Thanks,
Jace
Old 07-25-2002, 08:17 AM

Default Re: reverb while tracking

Route output or audio tracks you want to record with real-time effects to an aux track then use effects and sends (to a separate reverb aux) on that aux track. Use Low Latency Monitoring and enjoy the reverb/effects live as you are recording. I usually move the effects and sends back over to the audio track once I finish recording. It blows clients away to hear themselves in a auditorium while sitting in my 10x10 room. With stereo reverb to boot! R
Old 07-25-2002, 08:28 AM

Thanks rlcowa,

I'll be on the road for the next 10 days but when i get back to Nashville you can bet you boots I'll be trying that. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-25-2002, 11:02 AM

I've never used the low latency monitoring mode. I think the mode actually operates at 128 samples anyway. So put yer hardware setup to 128 and record away. No extra routing necescary. Works for me!
just to toot my own horn, I am in the process of relocating to Los Angeles and lookign for a job, so if anybody knows someone who can help me get established as an audio engineer and producer, check out my creds at http://www.kenyruyter.com and call me 310-909-9115

myspace page
http://www.kenyruyter.com
Old 07-25-2002, 01:15 PM

Keny,

Wow! How do you get away with it. I'm using 24 tracks of Audio several stereo Auxs and at least one plug-in per track. (Technically there are several tracks with no plug-ins, but when using two RenVerbs, a True verb, several C4 and C1 combos, plus a Master fader with Rencomp, and L1 it do add up!!!)

i get crashes out the wazoo at 128. Of course I mix as I track, doing edits and cleaning as i go.

Thanks for the tips guys...

jace
Old 07-25-2002, 01:41 PM

I avoid using plugin's while tracking as I really want to hear exactly what I am recording. I also don't insert a master track until the mixing session begins. I figure if i try to get it sounding as good as possible without plugin's it'll sound even better with em'.

I do use reverb to appease the drummer though, and sometimes I'll use eq and compressor here and there to get a desired sound.

Once the drums are recorded, I will minimally use plugins on the drumset to get it in check with the band, espescially HPF's and some light compression on the snare.

When I finally mix the session, I pull all the faders down remove anything I added and start from scratch. I wait until I get a 9093 (usually when I add the C4 and L1+ on the master fader and then I increase the latency to 512 or 1024.

It sucks to use the high latency settings when you are in the edit window though so i usually doctor all the regions first using the rough mix, before any final mixing.

Keny [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
just to toot my own horn, I am in the process of relocating to Los Angeles and lookign for a job, so if anybody knows someone who can help me get established as an audio engineer and producer, check out my creds at http://www.kenyruyter.com and call me 310-909-9115

myspace page
http://www.kenyruyter.com
Old 07-25-2002, 01:56 PM

I used to set up Aux. tracks for effects, now with Waves 3.5 I just apply them direct to the vocal tracks. I usually track with RenVerb set at REVERB -4.7 and WET 27 on the Hall 1 setting. It is going to depend on your vocals, mic, preamp. etc though. If you haven't upgraded to 3.5 it is a must. Far more efficiency. I never use low latency monitoring. You may need to upgrade your computer to a newer AMD system 1.4ghz or higher too.
Allen [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-25-2002, 02:15 PM

Avoid using heavy CPU plugs on the Master faders it adds alot of latency. Apply them when mixing down.
Old 07-29-2002, 09:52 AM

Thanks for all the insights and tips. I must agree that Waves 3.5 is a quantum leap in efficiency.

If you don't have the Gold Bundle you don't have Pro Tools!

Thanks everyone!