Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2021, 08:20 PM

Default Carbon's Sound...

OK just a quick comment after having Carbon and using it a lot over the last couple weeks...

I am noticing terrific punch and clarity in everything I'm working with. It's funny because I did not come to Carbon from low grade interfaces...I had the Steinberg AXR and for a brief time had the Zen Tour Synergy Core, both of which sounded great. But Carbon has really stood out.

Great job on this unit, and I still smile every time I click on the lightening bolt and all delay comes to an end....and I didn't have to leave the mixer right in front of me! LOL

TH
Old 05-27-2021, 11:58 PM

Default Re: Carbon's Sound...

Awesome .
Great to hear
Cant wait til mine arrives
Old 05-30-2021, 06:31 AM

As I have noted in other threads I had to pre sell my Omni to fund the Carbon so I have not done a real time direct A/B but ( I think/feel like off memory) the Carbon has
A more open 3D-ish "right there" sound to it

Also as a side note::: it seems that the 32 bit throughput on the Carbon allows more headroom before hitting the red .. BUT it also seems like this can mean "too much signal" (and sibilance over crappy laptop spks ) when converting to MP3 or say uploading a song to SoundCloud or YouTube ? Or maybe it's just my pilot error

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 05-31-2021, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
As I have noted in other threads I had to pre sell my Omni to fund the Carbon so I have not done a real time direct A/B but ( I think/feel like off memory) the Carbon has
A more open 3D-ish "right there" sound to it

Also as a side note::: it seems that the 32 bit throughput on the Carbon allows more headroom before hitting the red .. BUT it also seems like this can mean "too much signal" (and sibilance over crappy laptop spks ) when converting to MP3 or say uploading a song to SoundCloud or YouTube ? Or maybe it's just my pilot error
Nice. I'm hoping Carbon will be Windows compatible soon.
Then i'll order it asap.

Regarding overloading while recording, isn't it possible to just record at lower levels and clip gain to raise the volume?

However I'm not shure 32 bit recording lowers noise floor compared to 24bit or just increase headroom. If it just increast the headroom I guess you can hit it hard more like tape recording?
Old 05-31-2021, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
Nice. I'm hoping Carbon will be Windows compatible soon.

Regarding overloading while recording, isn't it possible to just record at lower levels and clip gain to raise the volume?

However I'm not shure 32 bit recording lowers noise floor compared to 24bit or just increase headroom. If it just increast the headroom I guess you can hit it hard more like tape recording?
Yes certainly recording at lower levels is possible.. And I am not talking "in general" only talking about a very specific situation I have run across

BUT First :::
To clarify I am not talking about overloading "while recording" that is not happening.

So to back up:::: If I am recording (Like I usually do ) at say 24 bit 48k in WAV format , and all the tracks levels are fine, and not hitting red. And the Master Fader is not hitting red either but is say peaking at - 3 or -6 and sound fine on my system . If I then export that WAV to Sound Cloud (which SC then compresses that WAV for "Streaming" that can have distortion mainly on the sibilant vocal "S's" or a heavy (T's) and only on my laptop spk's ---- if I playback the Sound Cloud stream thru the Carbon it does not distort , only on the laptop Not a big deal just something I noticed

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 05-31-2021, 10:04 AM

Is there any sound enhancement enabled in the sound settings on your laptop maby causing this?
Old 05-31-2021, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
Is there any sound enhancement enabled in the sound settings on your laptop maby causing this?
I will check Thanks

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...