Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2014, 09:33 AM

Default AVID SC48 I/O configuration

I have a gig coming up and will be using an SC48. It is currently configured with the 48 input Digital snake having all 3 of the input modules on the stage box end and the output module is located on the back of the board. This is set up as a monitor console. I want to swap one of the 3rd input modules with the output modules so I will have 16 inputs at the FOH for wireless mics and playback inputs and have the outputs on the snake box on stage for mains and monitors and IEM. Is there anything I need to know about or do to make this happen or can I just pull the modules and swap them and run with it?
Old 04-20-2014, 04:15 PM

Default Re: AVID SC48 I/O configuration

I haven't done this myself, but my understanding is that is't not that easy of a job to change these cards, it's a half days work. This will probably give you an idea what you would be facing.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristo Kotkas View Post
I haven't done this myself, but my understanding is that is't not that easy of a job to change these cards, it's a half days work. This will probably give you an idea what you would be facing.
Well... watching that video... that is a bit of a chore ! I think for this one gig I don't want to go thru all that and then again to set it back to a monitor board set up... I think I'll grab the analog snake and run that too and just use it instead of doing all that... run the wireless from the stage. If I end up doing more FOH gigs with the SC48 I'll do that and leave it but that's too much work to do the day before the gig.

thanks!
Old 04-21-2014, 12:15 PM

Yeah, if the cards were on a simple bus slot connection, it would be easy to pop them in and out. But since they use ribbon cables, you have to do partial disassembly to make changes - definitely something you don't want to do on a casual basis. I was a bit surprised when I popped open our SC48 to add an IO16 card that it wasn't based on a simple bus slot system. Seems like it would have been good call to have designed Venue like that from the get go. But the platform has been around for a while so it would have required that Avid/Digi have 2 sets of cards to do the same function if they had redesigned them for Profile & SC48 systems.

Exclusively at the Miners Foundry