Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 11:19 AM

Default Pc brand names ?

Own a mini box. I would rather buy a PC brand name desktop for my PT. Any names out there that really work.

Thanx for the help !
Old 10-09-2007, 12:00 PM

Default Re: Pc brand names ?

Check out this thread.

"All the truth in the world adds up to one big lie" :: Bob Dylan
¯
Old 10-09-2007, 05:57 PM

Yep...........they call it a Mac!

Mac Pro 2.66 Quad
Adam A7
Waves Gold, VSeries
Pultec Bundle
URS, McDSP
Old 10-09-2007, 10:28 PM

As a long time PC user, I have to agree. If you want an off the shelf system, buy a MAC.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-09-2007, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Own a mini box. I would rather buy a PC brand name desktop for my PT. Any names out there that really work.

Thanx for the help !
Ok like you said you want a PC and not a Mac if I'm correct. Get a Dell, and if you can, remove any unneccesary program and ones that you won't use. Get like a Dell Inspiron 530, or someting even better than that if you have the cash, an XPS 410. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE WINDOWS XP ON IT. Vista support is comming very soon though.

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro
Old 10-10-2007, 08:44 AM

Does it have to be a brand name? You can build a $1500 PC for about $800 from parts on Newegg. The core 2 thread has tons of advice and test results of these systems. It will save you some cash and most likely be a better machine than what you were going to buy "name brand". Its not like Dell makes the parts, they are just piecing it together for you and adding proprietary crap that you don't want anyway.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:09 PM

Actually, check out the first post in this thread. Take the parts list to a computer store that someone you trust recommends. They will put it all together for you - and be sure there are no part substitutions. If they absolutely must make a substitution, ask about it here first. And make sure they load on Windows XP SP2. The computer will work with PT LE. If you go the Quad route, you will have more than enough "horsepower" for a long time. You will probably never max the computer out.

Getting an off-the-shelf computer is tricky since you have to be sure the motherboard chipset and a number of other components will work with PT LE. Just "getting a Dell" is not good enough. Even the Dell's Digidesign recommends will, a lot of the time, after a build revision by Dell - where the model number remains the same, but the parts inside change - then be incompatible with PT LE.

Unfortunately, on the Windows side of things especially, you must be very careful that the computer you choose is fully compatible with PT LE. That's why nearly everyone here recommends you build one from the parts list provided by actual users who have built machines that are proven to be compatible with and work well with PT LE.

As a double bonus, invariably a computer built from a parts list here will be cheaper than an off-the-shelf model from Dell or other maunfacturers and will run extremely well almost any other DAW that's Windows capable.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 10-10-2007, 07:05 PM

Buying a PC "in store" is really not the best route. Things can and do change unannounced and DELL, HP etc has zero concern for whether those changes have any affect on PT-only their bottom line.

In the long run you will be much happier sticking with something thats known to work with PT and if your not comfortable putting it together yourself then have a local PC shop assemble it. This will get you the best of both worlds-a machine thats faster and cheaper than store bought plus some technical expertise in case of some major hardware issue

When you have problems with your store bought machine DELL or HP are not going to be much use to you. You will end up here on the forum asking for help. Which is freely given and often quite good!

The store bought stuff is a crapshoot. Right chipset/Wrong FW chip. Fast Processer/Slow memory. Proprietary BIOS or parts that are hard to replace ETC. You can't beat the big players prices for email and multimedia systems but a DAW is a very special peice off equiptment and its best to know EXACTLY how its going to work. Having a 20 or 30 forum buddies with the same exact rig helps to troubleshoot problems that much faster.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 10-11-2007, 02:01 AM

Weed, your advice is excellent. This sentence made me smile though!

Quote:
... You will probably never max the computer out ...
Digidesign 1999: Who'd need more than 32 tracks of audio?
Sequential 1983: Who'd need more than 16 MIDI channels?
Sun Studios 1957: Who'd need more than one mic?

Old 10-11-2007, 10:03 AM

First of all, thanx to everyone.

Brand name ? Go for a mac. PC ? Buy the right parts instead of a Dell or HP. Correct ?

By the way , which mac ?

Thank you !