Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2022, 03:04 PM

Default Weird solo behavior

For some reason the standard soloing behavior is not working at all on one of my sessions.

If I choose SIP as my solo mode I'm unable to solo anything...literally nothing will solo at all. If I change solo mode to AFL then I can solo as expected except solo safe dose not work...if I command click on an aux track solo button, the track volume fader appears...

I tried option, command clicking on all the solo buttons and then, when in SIP mode, pressing a solo button on any track mutes the entire mix.

SIP in all my other sessions work as expected..

Very, very odd..

Does anyone have a clue as to why this has happened?

Thanks,
LC
__________________________________________________ __________________________

2018 mac mini- macOS monterey 12.6, 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7, 32 gb ram, PT 2022 10.0
Old 10-29-2022, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Weird solo behavior

I have a clue. You might not have tried all the standard troubleshooting steps.

That's not just to throw it back to you. Prefs get messed up, etc, keyboard might be wonky, or got water on it, and a modifier held down.

These questions are so random because you system info and steps already undertaken are absent:

https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300050
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 10-30-2022, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nednednerb View Post
I have a clue. You might not have tried all the standard troubleshooting steps.

That's not just to throw it back to you. Prefs get messed up, etc, keyboard might be wonky, or got water on it, and a modifier held down.

These questions are so random because you system info and steps already undertaken are absent:

https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300050
Not to just throw it back to you either, but my system specs were clearly stated at the bottom of my post. My keyboard is literally brand new and I did describe what steps I took to try to investigate including clearing modifier key settings.

In any event, thanks for your response..

LC
Old 10-30-2022, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lclyman View Post
If I choose SIP as my solo mode I'm unable to solo anything...literally nothing will solo at all. If I change solo mode to AFL then I can solo as expected except solo safe dose not work...if I command click on an aux track solo button, the track volume fader appears...

I tried option, command clicking on all the solo buttons and then, when in SIP mode, pressing a solo button on any track mutes the entire mix.

I don't think there's anything broken or inexplicable here: Without seeing your session it's hard to know for sure, and it could certainly be something else, but this would be consistent with: Somewhere along the way you accidentally hit opt-cmd-solo on a track; that solo-safed all tracks, and would cause the 1st behavior. Then you "tried option, cmd clicking all the solo buttons" and now solo-ing a track does indeed solo it but the rest of the mix mutes; that also sounds like correct behavior. Perhaps you're routing your mix to/through auxes or a print track which was previously solo-isolated (so you could hear your mix) and in cmd-opt-clicking solo you've un-safed tracks that need to be solo-safe to hear your mix?

Hope that helps

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 10-30-2022, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
I don't think there's anything broken or inexplicable here: Without seeing your session it's hard to know for sure, and it could certainly be something else, but this would be consistent with: Somewhere along the way you accidentally hit opt-cmd-solo on a track; that solo-safed all tracks, and would cause the 1st behavior. Then you "tried option, cmd clicking all the solo buttons" and now solo-ing a track does indeed solo it but the rest of the mix mutes; that also sounds like correct behavior. Perhaps you're routing your mix to/through auxes or a print track which was previously solo-isolated (so you could hear your mix) and in cmd-opt-clicking solo you've un-safed tracks that need to be solo-safe to hear your mix?

Hope that helps
Hi Rich,
That's actually very helpful...thanks..

I'm back to using PT after many years away and I'm certainly rusty with my kb shortcuts... and as you correctly postulated I am routing my mix through auxes as well as a print track.

That being said, might there be a step by step way to get back to the default solo behavior?

Thanks again,
LC
Old 10-30-2022, 09:50 AM

Quote:
...might there be a step by step way to get back to the default solo behavior?

Thanks again,
LC

I think you're seeing correct/default solo behavior. Just solo-safe the aux tracks you're routing through (and fx returns) and you should be good to go.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 10-30-2022, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
I think you're seeing correct/default solo behavior. Just solo-safe the aux tracks you're routing through (and fx returns) and you should be good to go.
Well I tried what you described and still I can only hear tracks when in either AFL or PFL mode. When in SIP, soloing anything has no sound. I've removed solo safe from all tracks and then solo safed every possible aux that receives anything...no joy...!!

To be fair, this was the first session since returning to PT that used a more complex routing as well as folders (routing and otherwise), and it's quite possible I inadvertently did something that either can't be undone or corrupted something in the session. Subsequent sessions with similar routing and organization work as expected. I'll take some comfort in the mix sounding good, learn and move on...

As an aside, I was using both Reaper and Luna extensively prior to my switch back to PT and in Reaper the soloing behavior is so intuitive by default that one rarely has to ask for any assistance using it. Incredible coding in that DAW..

Thanks again for your assistance.,
LC
Old 11-24-2022, 08:39 AM

Quote:
For some reason the standard soloing behavior is not working at all on one of my sessions.

SIP in all my other sessions work as expected..

Very, very odd..

Does anyone have a clue as to why this has happened?

Thanks,
LC
__________________________________________________ __________________________

2018 mac mini- macOS monterey 12.6, 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7, 32 gb ram, PT 2022 10.0
I'm having exactly the same issue on all my session since upgrading to PT 2222.10.0

Nothing is working as it has done for the last 15 yrs solo wise. Has something big changed that I missed?

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

http://www.lostboysstudio.com
Old 11-24-2022, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ru_C View Post
I'm having exactly the same issue on all my session since upgrading to PT 2022.10.0

Nothing is working as it has done for the last 15 yrs solo wise. Has something big changed that I missed?
..ok, think I've figured out one of the issues. The latest PT Ultimate has switched Solo behaviour to AFL that was previous set as SIP...my sessions have always been SIP, but when loading in an old session, *or* a template created with an older version, 2022.10.10 changes the solo behaviour...

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

http://www.lostboysstudio.com