Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > The Drum Room

Old 05-27-2010, 04:30 PM

Default Snare micing....How do you do it?

I've started this thread to see what opinions people have out there on how to mic up a snare, what mics to use, how to tune the drum etc....

Recently I've been using a SM57 on top aimed directly where the stick (uaually) strikes the skin at around a 45 to 60 degree angle. I usually try to get it as vertical as I can but don't have great stands etc.

I place a Shure SM81 under the snare, not facing directly at the wires and at a distance so the mic doesn't overload.

I find that the bottom mic really adds life to my snare mix. Fair enough I can get away without one in a pinch, but by just mixing it in slightly the sound really comes alive. However, I'll usually have to gate the bottom mic quite heavily in order to erase any excess rattle when a tom is hit etc.

Those of you who've seen my previous posts will realize I've previously had some troubles reproducing a quality snare sound and have asked for some assistance in the past. Now however, I'm consistently producing a sound that makes me smile wen I hear the recording back.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:12 PM

Default Re: Snare micing....How do you do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barters81 View Post
I've previously had some troubles reproducing a quality snare sound and have asked for some assistance in the past. Now however, I'm consistently producing a sound that makes me smile wen I hear the recording back.
Well then you've "Found it" - congratulations!

And for the Fellow D.U.C'er's that come across this thread looking for Snare Tips... what did you used to do that was wrong / Different from what you're doing now ?

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 05-27-2010, 08:07 PM

What you got now is what a lot of folks do. They may sub an Audix I5 or a Beta57 for the SM(not a huge difference there). The new Sennheiser evolution snare mic is killer by all reports(but I have not had it to try yet). Underneath can be most any SDC and some just use another 57. The Granelli Audio http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...FQK8sgodFDdGDg might solve your placement problems. Sometimes the SDC can get taped on top of the 57(both mics up top to avoid phase issues). Any time you use a bottom mic, phase/polarity reversing one should be done(your choice on which so try it both ways).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-28-2010, 05:53 AM

This is one of those applications where an SM57 not only works just fine, it's great! Personally I use a different microphone but it's all good IMHO though---the pre-amp is what makes the most importance on the tonality of the snare, which is why I like a nice fat sounding tube pre.... nothing like it, or a good transformer based mic-pre. Basically anything with iron or tube, you really can't go wrong.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:36 PM

I use a md421 on top and a 57 or MD421 on bottom out of phase. API 7600 Mic pre slammed hard. Gets the job done every time for me here. Some brush things that are just swish brush ill use a u47 or 414BULS on the top - API or UA6176 or even a ISA preamp.

I voted at www.deardigi.com
Old 05-31-2010, 06:59 PM

top:
sm57 -> API 512c -> UA 1176ln (12:1, 1-3db GR, Med Attack, Fast Release)

bottom:
e604 -> Vintech x73 (very saturated) -> UA 1176ln (8:1, 3-5db of GR, Med Attack, Fast Release)
Old 06-16-2010, 12:05 AM

Wow...thanks for all the ideas.

What I used to do which obviously didn't work was jamming a sm57 on top and worrying entirely too much about bleed from the high hat and not enough about the sound of the snare. I ended up getting way too much ringing out of the snare, and the overall sound was dull and lifeless. Of course because I had positioned the mic in a way that I didn't get much bleed from the high hat I could then eq quite heavily and compress a fair bit to get my poppin snare with enough life to get out of the mix. I lived in this world for far too long my freinds.

Now I take a lot more time placing my mic up front before recording, use a bottom mic etc etc.....and am much happier because of it.

I'm yet to really get into the whole world of mic pres etc so I'm excited/worried about that side a bit too. Excited that there are more ways to get better sounds, and worried that my bank account might be savagely hit once again.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:27 PM

You could also try a Hiel Pr 20 ($150) or a Pr20U ($99) I just got one from a Rep to test and I blows My 57's out of the water, It's really Snappy with a great Body. Just my 2 cents

Drummerjoe
Old 08-18-2010, 03:25 PM

Recently I purcahsed an Audix i5 snare mic which I'm using instead of the 57. I've only used this now on a handful of recordings but I'm finding I really like it. The sound to me seems a little more open and brighter.

Still using the SM81 under the snare too as I find it adds life to the recording.
- Yamaha HS80M
- Axiom Pro 49
- 500GB Sarotech Hardbox external HDD plugged through express card, FW800
- Waves Gold bundle, L3-16, Eddie Kramer
- 2 x Coles 4038, Royer 121, 2 x Shinybox MXL, 4 x SM57, 3 x SM58, AKG D112, SM81, Shure 16A, sE 2000, 3 x Audix D2
Old 01-16-2011, 05:47 PM

I have also heard that the Telefunken M80 sounds killer on snare, but it's a big mic (compareed to a 57), so may be more difficult to squeeze into place.

I should get a chance to actually try my M80 out on a snare drum next month.

I was advised about 7 years ago on another forum regarding phase of the snare mics was to invert the phase of all the "top" mics and leave the Kick and bottom snare as is.

So that would mean inverting all mics that are above the snare (including overheads). It worked really well for my recording at the time.