Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2022, 03:25 AM

Default macOS Preference to upgrade 2013 Mac Pro (PT Ultimate)

Hello

I have been on Mojave for a long while, current with Pro Tools 2021-12 without any significant issues. I have a bit of a slow period in the Studio right now and Mojave is getting a bit long in the tooth, with some software not being compatible, just as WAVEs 14, so I am thinking it is time to upgrade macOS. When i upgrade, i like to go as far down the road as reasonable, to limit the frequency of required upgrades, because it is rarely painless. I own a lot of plugins and virtual instruments, so doing a line by line check is a lot of work/reading and in my experience gremlins still show, no matter how much advance prep. . .

i could just do a Carbon Copy, do the upgrade, and see what happens.

i am thinking I would jump to Monterey and PT 2022-10. Avid docs seems to support this direction.

I am very interested in related experiences and thoughts.

Thanks. .
Old 11-29-2022, 09:57 AM

Default Re: macOS Preference to upgrade 2013 Mac Pro (PT Ultimate)

My thoughts; I really like to do a 'clean install' on big OS jumps. Of course, it means more work, but if you have the time, I think it will be worth it. A lot of things will change between Mohave and Monterey; much change in macOS, and some applications/plugins will not work or require an upgrade to work.

This is how I usually approach it:
Do the CCC backup, preferably on more than one disk.
Recovery startup, and erase the disk.
Install latest Monterey. (You might have to make a USB installer - if you upgrade over web, I guess you'll automatically get Ventura.)
Install Pace iLok, CCC, PT and other basic stuff, and check that everything works.
Make a fresh CCC backup.

Here's something that I do (despite some people warning against it) that saves me hours and hours of work: Use Migration Assistant and import everything from the Mohave backup. This will restore system settings, passwords, logins, licenses, bookmarks etc, etc. Something will need to be tweaked, you might have to trash PT prefs.

All the time doing incremental backups to the new CCC backup.

Also, when you get to macOS Monterey, you'll need to use the 'Create legacy bootdisk…' (can't remember exact wording) in CCC to have a bootable backup (if you want that). Check info on CCC site FAQ.

And take your time, don't rush.

Of course, if you can install on a separate disk/partition and have the old system intact, it's a big advantage.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:35 AM

It is such a time consuming PITA. I have been using Pro Tools since 1998 and have done the start from scratch many many times, too many times. It had it take over 60 hours of my time years ago, due to so many plugins and virtual instruments, the troubleshooting and sleuthing, the downloads and licensing details. It is getting easier with plug-in developers having one app that does it all, but it does get complicated with libraries etc… many have to be redone from scratch which takes forever.

I was going to try and cheat this time…. Upgrade macOS and see what broke, fix that…. maybe I’m dreaming.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:48 AM

Last clean install I did was from Catalina to Big Sur. Using a USB installer (bc Monterey was out) and then Migration Assistant, and the procedure I described, it took me about 3-4 hrs. PT didn't work after the MA import, fixed by trashing prefs. Some apps and plugins needed upgrades, and some details in settings needed seeing to over the next few days, but it was a success.

In short, I was up and running after half a day's work.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howardk View Post
Hello

I have been on Mojave for a long while, current with Pro Tools 2021-12 without any significant issues. I have a bit of a slow period in the Studio right now and Mojave is getting a bit long in the tooth, with some software not being compatible, just as WAVEs 14, so I am thinking it is time to upgrade macOS. When i upgrade, i like to go as far down the road as reasonable, to limit the frequency of required upgrades, because it is rarely painless. I own a lot of plugins and virtual instruments, so doing a line by line check is a lot of work/reading and in my experience gremlins still show, no matter how much advance prep. . .

i could just do a Carbon Copy, do the upgrade, and see what happens.

i am thinking I would jump to Monterey and PT 2022-10. Avid docs seems to support this direction.

I am very interested in related experiences and thoughts.

Thanks. .
I always do a CCC clone, then an in-place update of everything. If you have an issue, you can then go down the clean install route.

IMO, you are opening up the possibility of WAY too many things going wrong with a clean install if you already have a complex, stable system. Not to mention the insane hours involved.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 12-01-2022, 08:47 AM

One thing to be aware of...

To update from Big Sur to Monterey or Ventura you MUST have a Apple branded hard drive in your machine! At least this is the case on my Late 2013 Mac Pro. I installed a OSC drive several years ago and it's been great. HOWEVER when I went to update my OS from Big Sur to Monterey it would not happen. It apparently needs to do some firmware update and requires an Apple drive. I did buy a Apple drive and plan on using that to do the update as soon as I get a break in between projects.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCw...ogfR_7Q/videos

------------------------------------------------------
PT2023.12, OS X Monterey, Late 2013 MacPro, 6 core, 64 GB RAM, Orion Studio, Slate Raven MTi2, ISA428, ADL600, Distressor, Grace 501, Dimedio, Obsidian, One LA, BAC500, Harrison 32 EQ, UAD2 OCTO, Focal 6 be, Auratones...
Old 12-01-2022, 09:26 AM

FWIW, Waves 14 will run on Mojave. Do a search on Waves and Mojave here on the forum. We did it and there is a point when you install, it will say your OS is not compatible, but just click on install and it will install the 14 Waveshell. We haven't had any issues. (So far)
1 TB PCIe flash storage
Pro Tools Ultimate HD 2023.6
HD Native Thunderbolt
Old 12-02-2022, 12:11 PM

Thanks for the insights and shared experiences!

I wish it was only a few hours to start from scratch. . . lol. It is days, not hours in my case. Lots of stuff going on and rethinking things I have not done for 3 years. . .

Now I am extra happy I grabbed an extra Apple Branded original SSD awhile back, just in case, even thou I did have others working with the adapters. . . Plus I have a backup 2013 Mac Book Pro, so I can use Target Disk Mode and Carbon Copy Cloner to make a backup system disk from one Mac to the other.

I gotta think thru things a bit more before I dive in, and am traveling to work a show, so have not started yet.

Thanks again to all for sharing your thoughts. . .

Last edited by Howardk; 12-02-2022 at 12:18 PM. Reason: .
Old 12-03-2022, 12:01 PM

I was in the exact same position a few weeks ago, Mojave on 2013 Mac Pro. Learned the hard way that couldn't upgrade to Monterey since I didn't have an OEM ssd (the Mac was an OWC refurb that I purchased a long time ago.) Ended up updating to Big Sur and had some issues with my setup, specifically the HD Native driver. I had to bite the bullet and upgrade to a Mac Studio.

I think I'll restore the old Mac Pro back to Mojjave incase I need it for any older projects down the line. Also so I can use my Firewire UAD Satellite with it.. I'm really happy with the upgrade, but also a little sad because there was nothing wrong with the MP, it was a really great machine!