Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 10-01-2022, 12:26 PM

Default Si-native PT aside, how long will my Intel iMac from 2020 be good?

Now, I know it is certainly in fashion to dream of Silicon native PT. I understand everyone's desire there. No need to argue to me that I should want to get a newer computer soon. I like how stable my machine is right now, and stability daily is the key metric for me to keep at, for now.

Also, I was going to get my new iMac (2020, i9 processor) at the start of this year, when Apple stopped selling them. So I got a refurbished one with about double the speed, RAM, storage, GPU, for fewer dollars spent.

Compared to the instability of a brand new architecture, and much lower spec for the price (understanding performance 'per unit' is higher in Silicon), and good deal I had, I went with iMac instead of M1. I had work to keep doing full time.

Pro-Tools-System-Requirements

Officially, it says macOS 10.14.6, 10.15.7, 11.6, 12.3
And I know 10.14.6 will not continue to offered for long.

However, I'm good to go on Monterey (maybe not Ventura??) for it looks like 3-4 MacOS versions before Avid would typically stop supporting.

The thing is, I know Silicon-native code won't work on Intel machines eventually, and there will be a split with installers I suspect. However, what do people think? Do you think Avid will continue to support legacy OSes for..... how long, after Monterey/Ventura? It's hard to remember among so much gossip, Intel is supposed to get Ventura??

Seemingly compatibility over-limiting might be escalated, but considering the wide range of users and the fact some fewer real users simply buy the latest and fastest as soon as it is available, I personally think my decision was sound for me. I tend to suspect I'll still be running new features of PT for a few years at least even if I might not be getting the benefit of Silicon.

I recognize that there might be some creeping going on here. Some features might not go back to Intel..... I'm slightly concerned, but not that I won't be able to work; just that I might not have all the latest features after a certain point.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 10-01-2022, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Si-native PT aside, how long will my Intel iMac from 2020 be good?

Your existing iMac is a very powerful computer. I believe that you will be able to upgrade to the newest MacOS for at least a few more years. In addition, I would think you you will be able to upgrade your music software for at least that long as well. There will come a time when you, me, and everyone with Intel based Macs, will have to move on to Apple silicon based Macs. When that time comes Apple’s own processors will have progressed quite a lot farther than they have so far.
Luna 1.5, Logic Pro 10.8/Logic Pro 10.7.9, Cubase Pro 13.0.10, Studio One Pro 6.5.1, Pro Tools Studio 2023.9, UAD-2 software 11, PreSonus Quantum 2, UA Apollo 8, UA Apollo Twin Mk 2 (2), UAD-2 Thunderbolt Satellite Quad (2), Fractal Axe Fx III Mk. II Turbo FW 23.02, USB FW 1.15 and Axe-Edit III 1.13.08, Studio A: Apple iMac 2020, i7 8-core 3.8 GHz, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, RP5700XT GPU, 10 Gb/s Ethernet, MacOS Ventura 13.6.2. Studio B: Apple iMac 2015, i7 4-core 4 GHz, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, RP395X GPU, 1 Gb/s Ethernet, MacOS Monterey 12.7.1.