Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2023, 08:41 AM

Default Can't see Mix Bus track in Edit or Mix Window

Please forgive the newbie question. I've opened a new project with, so far, 3 channels--the click track, an imported audio file and a MIDI piano. (There will be more.) I can hear all 3 tracks when I set the output (in the Edit window) to "output >Out L-R (Stereo)>Out 1-2". I couldn't hear anything when I changed the output to "bus > Mix Bus (Stereo)", so I went into Setup>>I/O, clicked on the "bus" tab and then enabled "Mix Bus" by clicking in the gray box, which mapped it to Out L-R. I did not change any other I/O settings. Then I was able to hear sound with the output set to Mix Bus".

Since I'm so new to ProTools, I patted myself on the back for being such a smart boy. But the Mix Bus track has not shown up in either the Edit or Mix windows, like it appears in all templates and the "Fast Start" or "Getting Started" videos that I've watched.

Clearly, I'm not a clever as I thought I was. Eventually, I would like to add compression and limiting to many tracks at once. How do I get the Mix Bus track to appear in my Edit and Mix windows?
Old 05-09-2023, 09:24 AM

Default Re: Can't see Mix Bus track in Edit or Mix Window

I'm not familiar with those templates.

But there is no "Mix Bus" track unless you create it. You can have as many as you need but you'll need busses in the IO Setup and separately you'll need to create tracks to route them.

I would unmap what you did.

Then start by making a new stereo track set to "Aux" type. Assign its input to the "Mix Bus" you found. Assign the output to Out 1-2.
Old 05-13-2023, 10:14 AM

Default Re: Can't see Mix Bus track in Edit or Mix Window

Thank you.