Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2009, 08:41 AM

Default Tempo event bug?

Can anyone reproduce this weirdness?

Song tempo: 78bpm; set with conductor on; 4/4 time sig

Add tempo change at bar 14 for ritard on that bar: 14:03:00 - 15:01:00

Use the Tempo Operations window to set up a parabolic tempo change from 78 to 50 during those two beats. Resolution is 1/8 note; density 1/8 note. Advanced is checked and set to calculate samples. Preserve tempo after selection is checked.

Result: the tempo slows WAYYYYY down (half-speed probably).

I erase the tempo events and re-open the Tempo Operations window using Option-2 and it now thinks the tempo is 156, not 78, since that now appears by default in the Tempo: Start/End boxes.

Somewhere in this operation a message window popped up asking if I wanted to adjust the audio to fit the new tempo and I said yes - I had previously converted all tracks to tick-based so they'd follow minor tempo changes.

The work-around was that I put in a tempo change from 156 to about 100 and the music ritards fairly normally! The tempo map looks very weird with the tempo doubling to 176 right at 14:03:00 and back to 78 at 15:01:00. The tempo doesn't sound 2x however.

All tracks are tick-based, BTW - if that makes any difference. I don't know if this is an 8.01 bug or if it was there earlier - or if I'm missing something.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but this seems pretty straightforward - except that it's modifying audio tracks (with EA) to fit the ritard as well as midi tracks. Regardless of whether settings are correct or not, it should still display the correct tempo in the tempo ruler, right?

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Tempo event bug?

bump...

Can someone see if this (or similar) is reproducible on their system?

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:28 PM

i have nearly the exact same anomaly with my system, pretty much any time i make a tempo alteration with the pencil tool, freehand parabola or line, the tempo seems to read it as half speed. i tried extremes to get it to sound normal and was also forced to pull the tempo numbers way above what they should be in order to get things to match up. i have tried just about every settings adjustment i can think of and still no luck.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwilliam View Post
Can anyone reproduce this weirdness?

Song tempo: 78bpm; set with conductor on; 4/4 time sig

Add tempo change at bar 14 for ritard on that bar: 14:03:00 - 15:01:00

Use the Tempo Operations window to set up a parabolic tempo change from 78 to 50 during those two beats. Resolution is 1/8 note; density 1/8 note. Advanced is checked and set to calculate samples. Preserve tempo after selection is checked.
Why are you setting the Resolution to 1/8th note, instead of using 1/4 note (as your meter is 4/4)? Change that to a 1/4 note and it should give you the results you expect.

If you are wanting the click track to click on 1/8th notes, then set the Meter to 4/4 but set the click value to 1/8th note.

Hope that helps.
.: Pro Tools Certified Instructor
.: Pro Tools Expert Certified in Music