Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 11-07-2022, 10:23 PM

Default Atmos/Spatial Routing into Pro Tools

I have a 7.1.4 system and am able to play Apple Music hearing all those channels when I'm not in Pro Tools. However, when I'm in PT and want to listen to it, I can't seem to get the channels to go into, say, the Pro Tools Audio Bridge 16. When I go to audio/midi setup and try to assign the speaker channels, it tells me I have to assign independent channels to each speaker - but everything already is! If I change the system to play audio out of the Dolby Audio Bridge, say, I'm getting about 5.1, but not the 4 heights and rear surrounds. In trying to change their speaker configs in audio midi setup, I can get pink noise on 7.1.2, but I can't get audio to the Top Rears...

This is frustrating - but I'd love to get Atmos mixes into PT to see how mine size up! Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Milos
SubsonicStudio.com
Old 11-09-2022, 09:52 AM

Default Re: Atmos/Spatial Routing into Pro Tools

I don't have a solution for you, but how are you routing Apple Music so that you get all the channels? I can't get more than 5.1 routing audio from Apple Music to the Dolby Audio Bridge. If you have it all kinda working somehow without Pro tools, I would LOVE to know how!!
Old 11-19-2022, 08:58 PM

Hey BZ,

I was always able to monitor Atmos in 7.1.4 outside of PT - by setting up the channels correctly in audio-midi setup - but I had a hard time getting it into PT using PT Audio Bridge 16. For whatever reason it was just assigning the channels incorrectly - and when I tried to adjust them in audio midi setup - no matter what, it would tell me channels were overlapping. Well, I made a 12 channel (7.1.4) virtual device using Source Nexus - and blamo - worked like a charm. What gives PT Audio Bridge?!
Old 11-20-2022, 09:50 PM

My understanding is that Apple Music (or Tidal) does not play Atmos on a computer, you can monitor binaural/spacial through a headphones (AirPods Pro/Max/etc.) but not Atmos to 7.1.4. Unfortunately this is purposefully crippled.

If you want to experience Atmos content through your 7.1.4 mix setup you have to purchase an Apple TV and a consumer Atmos receiver with XLR outputs that will then feed 12 analog inputs of your interface. There are several threads on this topic all leading to the same point.
Old 11-23-2022, 12:00 AM

Sorry, but that’s simply not true, I’m monitoring 7.1.4 directly from the Apple Music app… And now I have it going into ProTools using source nexus. It’s quite great.
Old 11-23-2022, 07:10 AM

Side note… this is 💯 dependent on your computer and OS.

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...ostly-hardware
Old 11-23-2022, 07:31 AM

I was only going off the info i was given, particularly since Apple's own info leads you to believe it only delivers spacial on a Mac. But I stand corrected, clearly this is working for several people. I think my issue has been that my interface is always set to 64x64. I'm going create a 16x16 source-nexus device next.
Old 11-23-2022, 08:30 AM
Avid

Dante Virtual Soundcard 16x16 config works, Source Nexus works, other virtual devices like Omnibus and PTAB do not, which we are currently investigating.

** Update ** Omnibus actually does work - as I just validated that. We are working on also making PTAB work. **

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 11-23-2022, 03:56 PM

Thanks Jeff - let us know when PTAB is fixed. I remember reading something about sync/clocking being better on PTAB versus 3rd party solutions.
Old 11-23-2022, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milosziv View Post
Thanks Jeff - let us know when PTAB is fixed. I remember reading something about sync/clocking being better on PTAB versus 3rd party solutions.

The Dante Virtual Soundcard option works great here!
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS