Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2023, 04:14 PM

Default Mac Studio M2 audio out using OMNI

Hello,

Recently moved to a Mac Studio M2 from a 2013 Mac Pro. On the previous setup, I used a TOSLINK cable to feed my 2013 Mac Pro audio to the back of my OMNI so the Mac Pro audio could be heard through the studio speakers when desired.

I believe the actual OMNI / PT setup was completed using the MIXER section under SETUP --> HARDWARE within PT ( I've had this setup for nearly 10 years, so it's been awhile... )

Since the Mac Studio does not offer digital audio out, I figured I'd just use an analog cable from the headphone out on Mac Studio to one pair of analog line inputs on the back of the OMNI and set the MIXER configuration to use the associated input channels instead of the digital inputs. No go no matter what I try including using the front OMNI inputs.

I know there's audio on the cable from the Mac Studio as I tested that to powered speakers.

Maybe I'm missing something on the OMNI's front panel setup, but ... anyone here using a Mac Studio (or any other non digital input device) with an OMNI? If so, what could I be missing here or need to check?

Thanks in advance,
Greg
Old 07-02-2023, 11:33 PM

Default Re: Mac Studio M2 audio out using OMNI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyQuinn View Post
Hello,

Recently moved to a Mac Studio M2 from a 2013 Mac Pro. On the previous setup, I used a TOSLINK cable to feed my 2013 Mac Pro audio to the back of my OMNI so the Mac Pro audio could be heard through the studio speakers when desired.

I believe the actual OMNI / PT setup was completed using the MIXER section under SETUP --> HARDWARE within PT ( I've had this setup for nearly 10 years, so it's been awhile... )

Since the Mac Studio does not offer digital audio out, I figured I'd just use an analog cable from the headphone out on Mac Studio to one pair of analog line inputs on the back of the OMNI and set the MIXER configuration to use the associated input channels instead of the digital inputs. No go no matter what I try including using the front OMNI inputs.

I know there's audio on the cable from the Mac Studio as I tested that to powered speakers.

Maybe I'm missing something on the OMNI's front panel setup, but ... anyone here using a Mac Studio (or any other non digital input device) with an OMNI? If so, what could I be missing here or need to check?

Thanks in advance,
Greg

Hi Greg,

Have you changed the input type from optical digital to analogue? Within that SETUP -> HARDWARE panel there should be a tab that allows you to choose what type of signal you want to use for each of the 8 inputs and outputs.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 07-04-2023, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Mac Studio M2 audio out using OMNI

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
Hi Greg,

Have you changed the input type from optical digital to analogue? Within that SETUP -> HARDWARE panel there should be a tab that allows you to choose what type of signal you want to use for each of the 8 inputs and outputs.
Hey LDS.

Well, I made another attempt today performing the exact same setup steps I was trying previously - namely, SETUP -> HARDWARE --> MIXER and of course, it now works as expected. Ugh! Maybe a full reboot was all that was required to 'clear' whatever was hanging up the setup.

Thanks for replying!
Greg