Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 04-26-2022, 11:26 AM

Default The end of perpetual licenses

...sort of. If I understand correctly, existing users can carry on - Ultimate to Ultimate, regular to Studio. Presumably existing reinstatements that haven't been used will still work. But no new perpetual licenses will be sold.

Terrible decision imo, but there we go.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 04-26-2022, 12:17 PM

Default Re: The end of perpetual licenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
...sort of. If I understand correctly, existing users can carry on - Ultimate to Ultimate, regular to Studio. Presumably existing reinstatements that haven't been used will still work. But no new perpetual licenses will be sold.

I agree, but I can see the logic for them. I would imagine that continuing to provide updates etc to original buyers could be a $$$ siphon. If I remember right, though, I did buy some upgrades over the decades. The good news now is if you have a perpetual license it's cheaper - which seems to correct the weirdness of before where if you had a perp license you didn't get Heat and stuff like that.
Mac Studio Ultra / 128 RAM/2TB HD / Avid HDX Chassis / 2 X Sonnet Echo Dual NVMe Thunderbolt Docks w Samsung 970 EVO Plus (6TB) / Avid C24 / Avid 16X16 I/O Analog / Lynx Aurora 16/16 1/O Analog / Dangerous 2 Bus / Benchmark ADC1
www.glasswing.com
www.richardsales.com
Old 04-26-2022, 12:27 PM

I think we all knew this is where it was heading. But, to be honest, it feels very disingenuous for Avid to have been saying for the last couple of years that they had no intention of discontinuing selling perpetual licenses.
Old 04-26-2022, 12:28 PM

This new move, with new tiers and odd upgrades/crossgrades/etc, feels like the entrance to a dark cave for ProTools. I'm not feeling good about it.
Old 04-26-2022, 12:39 PM

Please explain tho. I uograde free. But then once my peroetual 1 year plan expires, if I want to continue upgrading the only way to then is surrender perpetual??? No more perpetual additional 1 year plans???? Or what? Needs clarification
Old 04-26-2022, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampartthemovie View Post
Please explain tho. I uograde free. But then once my peroetual 1 year plan expires, if I want to continue upgrading the only way to then is surrender perpetual??? No more perpetual additional 1 year plans???? Or what? Needs clarification
If you have a perpetual license with an active upgrade plan, you can still continue to renew that upgrade plan and retain your perpetual license. If that license is for, what was previously called, Pro Tools [Standard], you will now have Pro Tools Studio, which has many new features, like surround, Atmos, increased track count, advanced automation, etc. If your existing perpetual license is for Ultimate, then you don't get as many new features, but you do get expanded I/O via Core Audio, and the new Custom Keyboard Shortcuts.
Old 04-26-2022, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
This new move, with new tiers and odd upgrades/crossgrades/etc, feels like the entrance to a dark cave for ProTools. I'm not feeling good about it.
If you've been using Pro Tools for 10 years or longer, it seems quite unpalatable. We used to be able to buy an upgrade when it was needed it.

The new features in the standard PT all look aimed at post users, so this has muddled the system. If I was skeptical, I'd say it is a restructuring of payments really.
Old 04-26-2022, 01:02 PM

FYI - here is a link to the new tiers FAQ, which may clear up some questions.

Pro Tools Tiers

System Details
Old 04-26-2022, 01:32 PM

Effective as of today? Has this been common knowledge? Otherwise that's insanely short notice, though existing stock can still be sold. But I can't even imagine working with a product without a perpetual license. Maybe that's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post

Old 04-26-2022, 01:36 PM

Where can I find a list of what the studio and Flex versions entail?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk