Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-27-2009, 03:37 PM

Default PT 8 not showing waveforms

Good evening all. Basically my problem is as the title, pro tools 8 isn't showing some waveforms. The audio is still there and still playing. Some of the waveforms are showing but others not. I do have waveform selected as view.
Any idea whats wrong or how to force reload the waveforms?
The session was originally created in pt 7.4 (just upgraded to 8 a few days ago and this is my first time using it). I'm using a macbook with osx.6 and the prerelease of pt 8 (8.0.3 I think) with an mbox 2.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:53 PM

Default Re: PT 8 not showing waveforms

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypt0r View Post
Good evening all. Basically my problem is as the title, pro tools 8 isn't showing some waveforms. The audio is still there and still playing. Some of the waveforms are showing but others not. I do have waveform selected as view.
Any idea whats wrong or how to force reload the waveforms?
The session was originally created in pt 7.4 (just upgraded to 8 a few days ago and this is my first time using it). I'm using a macbook with osx.6 and the prerelease of pt 8 (8.0.3 I think) with an mbox 2.

Thanks in advance.
Try this:

Click on the zoom tool. hold it over the track where your waveform is missing and hold down the (command??? PC it would be start) key, click and drag up or down to change the waveform height. If I record things at low levels (which I am doing increasingly), quite often PT will show a flat-line. The waveform is there, it's just small.

Hope that helped..
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 11-27-2009, 03:56 PM

Cheers but it didn't work. Or at least it did but it didnt show any of the ones that weren't there just changed the size of the ones that were.

I meant to say the wave forms were there and quite visible in 7.4 but now they aren't :S
Old 11-27-2009, 04:12 PM

Just tried everything mentioned in http://duc.digidesign.com/archive/in.../t-248376.html and still nothing
Old 11-27-2009, 04:26 PM

danander11 I have just realised that the zooming thing does work but to show the quiet waveforms it makes the others unusable. Any idea how to get round this?
Old 11-27-2009, 05:15 PM

So u did recalculate the waveforms?

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 11-27-2009, 05:19 PM

Yep I did. I've got it sorted now (worked out how to individually zoom tracks) but it seems a bit of a clunky solution as that only works if I have quite stuff in that track..... :S
Old 11-27-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
danander11 I have just realised that the zooming thing does work but to show the quiet waveforms it makes the others unusable. Any idea how to get round this?

Probably.. unfortunately I'm not aware of it... I would think there would be a way to scale the waveform to your liking then have it remain there regardless of where you sized an adjacent one.. but I've not bothered with it. I usually have everything I'm not working on set to mini or micro anyways so it's not been much of an issue for me...

Reading through the ref guide (page 453) pointed me to Ctrl+Shft+Click on the audio zoom button. That will make all of your audio track waveform heights the same size as your topmost audio track.. Size it then set the rest.

Maybe that helps? There is a ton of info on waveforms and zooming in the ref guide.

Anyone else?

Peace!

EDIT: I just realized that things do stay the same unless using the audio zoom button.. Like I said, I don't use it much. Sorry for the confusion.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 11-27-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
but it seems a bit of a clunky solution as that only works if I have quite stuff in that track..... :S

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 11-27-2009, 05:28 PM

why ?

If it helps I'm not using pt for simple recording I'm doing electro acoustic composition. So there will be large changes from a really quite section to a really loud section in the same track hence it being annoying having to zoom. I prefer to see the whole wave forms. Looks like I'm just going to have to get used to zooming.... bah! Thanks for the suggestions though