Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2022, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Import MIDI tempo map to specific bar

@Tweakhead - that is one way of doing it for sure - I haven't tried your method yet, but...

@Chevron the project is one hour fifteen minutes, with multiple language narrations and songs, some dialogue crossfades, some incidental music crossfades, so it's a highly complex mix in any situation, add Dolby Atmos to it and..... so what's in Studio One is individual songs that then have to be exported into PT.

What I'm trying to do is create a Master version that can hold all the content, and then save different language versions using playlists, as of course the same dialogue in another language will not be the same length. So stuff will have to be moved. For this reason I now think that the only way to go is to forget about tempo maps, create as much of the content in Studio One with mapping, stem out to Pro Tools for mixing. I was hoping to be able to stay in one DAW for everything as I hate having to switch around when changes are made, but I think in the end it'll be a 2 DAW job.
Old 05-04-2022, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scardanelli View Post
@Tweakhead - that is one way of doing it for sure - I haven't tried your method yet, but...

@Chevron the project is one hour fifteen minutes, with multiple language narrations and songs, some dialogue crossfades, some incidental music crossfades, so it's a highly complex mix in any situation, add Dolby Atmos to it and..... so what's in Studio One is individual songs that then have to be exported into PT.

What I'm trying to do is create a Master version that can hold all the content, and then save different language versions using playlists, as of course the same dialogue in another language will not be the same length. So stuff will have to be moved. For this reason I now think that the only way to go is to forget about tempo maps, create as much of the content in Studio One with mapping, stem out to Pro Tools for mixing. I was hoping to be able to stay in one DAW for everything as I hate having to switch around when changes are made, but I think in the end it'll be a 2 DAW job.
Ah yes I understand. Things get messy when importing a lot of MIDI files before and after one another. It always makes me feel a little nervous too having lots of tempo changes for a lengthy session.

I think you may have to concede and go with the stems and no tempo map, at least Studio 1 makes exporting stems light work. Although I hope you figure out a more appropriate method and keep us posted on what you end up with. Good luck!
Old 05-04-2022, 11:58 AM

What Chevron suggested is what I actually meant - instead of assembling in PT, assemble in Studio One which is designed to handle strings of clips with separate tempo maps as I understand it (I've never used it but read about it, fwtw). Once it's assembled as one long tempo map, you can export to PT without having to walk a tightrope over Niagra while juggling cats.

But what you said last makes me wonder whether you're moving tracks of MIDI notes and CCs, or just using MIDI for its tempo info. Perhaps to keep delay lines in sync or something.

In either case, it's common for film composers to have PT open in the background hosting the video track, dialogue, sfx, and the stems of any completed cues; while their composition DAW of choice is open in the foreground hosting only the cue currently being composed. The two DAWs are slaved to each other via virtual SMPTE. Would that work for you?

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 05-04-2022, 01:48 PM

@daeron80 - I'd be very interested in what I'd need software wise to run two DAWS in sync though I'm not sure that Studio One has great sync capabilities, I'd certainly give it a try. Having both open could certainly ease the workflow!
Old 05-05-2022, 09:12 AM

On Mac, it used to be done with OMS, but that's probably obsolete now. I think Soundflower is a common choice. Come to think of it, Studio One can slave via ReWire, can't it? I know Reaper can.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB