Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 10-21-2021, 06:00 PM

Default Recurring AAE -9173 error - for what reason??

Working on a mix session in PT 2021.6. [ 2009 Mac Pro flashed to 5,1, 8-core, Mojave, PCIe SSD main drive, 32 GB RAM ] Big mix, but not insane. Had been working fine but just today doing some more stuff and I have started getting constant AAE -9173 errors. They are always for the Lexicon PCM Native Room plugin. I have two of them as aux FX busses. Since my PT10 days I've known all the Lexicon plugs to be total DSP hogs. Lots of CPU errors in PT10. I tend to stay away from them for that reason. But the thing is, I have set the Playback Engine buffer to 1024, and it keeps happening. And when I look at System Usage, it seems like I'm barely ticking overall CPU usage. Very annoying. Any ideas why this might be happening? I've attached screen shots. Thanks in advance!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 8.34.58 PM.jpg (56.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 8.32.23 PM.jpg (70.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-22-2021, 01:54 AM

Default Re: Recurring AAE -9173 error - for what reason??

There is a new version available (1.3.9), might help...

https://lexiconpro.com/en/products/p...ndle#downloads
Old 10-22-2021, 05:15 AM

Thanks, I'll check it out! As it happens, I installed the Lexicon plugs on my new HDX rig 8 days before it seems they released 1.3.9. Downloading now...
Old 10-22-2021, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerbooty View Post
Working on a mix session in PT 2021.6. [ 2009 Mac Pro flashed to 5,1, 8-core, Mojave, PCIe SSD main drive, 32 GB RAM ] Big mix, but not insane. Had been working fine but just today doing some more stuff and I have started getting constant AAE -9173 errors. They are always for the Lexicon PCM Native Room plugin. I have two of them as aux FX busses. Since my PT10 days I've known all the Lexicon plugs to be total DSP hogs. Lots of CPU errors in PT10. I tend to stay away from them for that reason. But the thing is, I have set the Playback Engine buffer to 1024, and it keeps happening. And when I look at System Usage, it seems like I'm barely ticking overall CPU usage. Very annoying. Any ideas why this might be happening? I've attached screen shots. Thanks in advance!!
For what it's worth as soon as I updated from older OS and went to the latest versions of PT, I have had no issues like this at all. Running Catalina, which I have on good authority from my contacts at Avid that they have really tweaked a lot of these issues. I was on Sierra for the longest time. Then Mojave for at least a year or more. Finally went to Catalina, was a bit nervous about that, but did it for Atmos here. It's been so solid, I can't remember when I had an issue like this or even a crash. Can't speak to that old Mac thought, but I am still running a Late 2013 Mac Pro myself. I am also on a native system also.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 10-22-2021, 07:19 AM

Hmmm, that's interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if the OS had something to do with it, since the System Usage CPU meters are showing such low usage. I get sporadic CPU errors on many mixes, but they are so sporadic I haven't been sweating it too much. This one session it got way more regular and annoying. I'm not exactly even sure why I picked Mojave when I did this HDX install last spring. Think I wanted an OS that wasn't too new, but not too old. I actually just got a 1TB SSD specifically so I could clone my system drive, so maybe I will do that and then try the Catalina upgrade...
Old 10-22-2021, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Hmmm, that's interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if the OS had something to do with it, since the System Usage CPU meters are showing such low usage. I get sporadic CPU errors on many mixes, but they are so sporadic I haven't been sweating it too much. This one session it got way more regular and annoying. I'm not exactly even sure why I picked Mojave when I did this HDX install last spring. Think I wanted an OS that wasn't too new, but not too old. I actually just got a 1TB SSD specifically so I could clone my system drive, so maybe I will do that and then try the Catalina upgrade...
Great! It's worth a try. I always do a software restore once in a while to check all of the metadata on the Mac Internal System Drive HD. That seems to help things with the install. REMEMEBER though. If you have any 32 bit programs that you can't live without, which I found I did not really need after all, all of them are basically gone now. It's all 64 bit with Catalina.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 10-22-2021, 10:50 AM

I don't think I'm using anything 32-bit anymore. My main concern I guess is whether Catalina is fundamentally compatible with Early 2009 MP's flashed to 5,1. I think so. I know Big Sur is a problem without running Open Core.

Just tried installed the Lexicon Native version 1.3.9 to see if DSP usage might be better and I started getting "Lexicon xxx Plugin Not Found" errors as I loaded previous sessions. Highly uncool. Just went hightailing it back to v1.3.8! Does anyone else find the Lexicon Native plugins to be excessively DSP intensive? They are for me, at least relative to almost any other plugin I run. They sound good though.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:52 AM

Quote:
I don't think I'm using anything 32-bit anymore. My main concern I guess is whether Catalina is fundamentally compatible with Early 2009 MP's flashed to 5,1. I think so. I know Big Sur is a problem without running Open Core.

Just tried installed the Lexicon Native version 1.3.9 to see if DSP usage might be better and I started getting "Lexicon xxx Plugin Not Found" errors as I loaded previous sessions. Highly uncool. Just went hightailing it back to v1.3.8! Does anyone else find the Lexicon Native plugins to be excessively DSP intensive? They are for me, at least relative to almost any other plugin I run. They sound good though.
My best advice is just make a total clone of your Macintosh HD internal first. I have a clone I update every few days, using a smart update either with Super Duper or CCC, AKA Carbon Copy Cloner. CCC is only like $29 so no real cost there. Then if anything goes wrong, you can revert back easily. These are the only TRUE complete Backups you can do that you will literally be able to boot from and just copy back over the updated version of your HD if something goes wrong. I would check though on the old Mac. You should try and find a more update Mac at some point. That system is pretty old.
There will be plenty of deals out there now that more Silicon Macs are coming out. I am waiting until next year since I have had no need to update at all since everything is solid here.

G
Old 10-23-2021, 09:35 AM

Thanks, good thoughts. Didn't know that the Restore function on Disk Utility wasn't a reliable enough to clone to boot from, so I will look at those other utilities. And yes, mulling a new Mac at some point. Although it's kind of amazing how this old beast is chugging along pretty darn well. Helps that a lot of the plugin horsepower is offloaded to the UAD Octo card. And I'm using a lot of Plugin Alliance DSP plugs off the HDX card these days. Not sure what the right move would be, Mac-wise. I will definitely need PCIe slots somehow...
Old 10-23-2021, 11:59 AM

Sorry. Suggestedand tried already...

Steve