Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 09-12-2021, 11:59 AM

Default Pro Tools 2021.6 crash / freeze after offline bounce

Hi,
I'm bouncing down podcast mixes today and I have had sporadic bounces where Pro Tools will freeze at the very end of the bounce - Offline bounce, Mp3 format. It doesn't happen every time. When it does freeze, the bounced mix audio file is fine, but I have to force quit Pro Tools, the Spinning Beach Ball of Doom just keeps spinning. I found an old thread about this in the 2020 forum, but since it's 2021 now thought I'd re-post. I'm running 2021.6 on a Mac Pro cheesegrater flashed to 5,1.
The 2020 post mentioned something about "Pad to Frame Boundaries" being the culprit, making sure that was un-checked. But when bouncing an Mp3 that is not even an option. Wondering if anyone else is getting this? Only half a dozen tracks in the session - some UAD plugs, ELI Arouser, Izotope de-noise plugs.
Thanks!
Old 09-12-2021, 12:57 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2021.6 crash / freeze after offline bounce

I don't know what is causing the problem but I would...

1. freeze or commit the iZotpe Rx plugins (huge latency)
2. bounce a wav and then the mp3 later (cmd shift K)

...to identify where and when PT freezes
Old 09-12-2021, 12:57 PM

I don't remember any longer which triggered it, but 2021.6 was quickly replaced with 2021.7 and that has been much more stable. So please update your software and see if it helps.
Old 09-12-2021, 01:14 PM

Ok, cool, good to know about 2021.7. Hadn't heard it was stable, but guess I'll swallow hard and do the upgrade. Always makes me nervous...

Whoah, just noticed the latency on the Izotope De-Clipper! Crazy!!
Old 09-13-2021, 10:23 AM

For the record I have had the exact same issue to the point where I print my 2 bus stuff and then when I bounce off-line it’s a audio track with no plug-ins on it at some point I thought that would make things easier… Yet again spoon feeding Protools the easiest path possible

But sure enough at the end of a bounce there’s a little breath and then frozen

if I go to the bounced file there’s the file done, but I have to again Account for the time of quitting and restarting and reloading the session or the next session and of course checking the bounce as well because who knows…

I went to .7 thinking great they probably know that this is a problem, but .7 turned my machine into a very sluggish feeling my key commands everything went a hair slower and I have to say after a few hours of work my hand on the mouse was getting more tired than the past to the point of deep frustration… Especially with scrolling which I do a lot of

So I did what I haven’t done for a while and went back to .6… Also I forgot to mention tab to transient was somehow weird where it wouldn’t pick up the front of the wave, I’d have to option tab to go backwards

Anyway long winded I had the same problem with nothing on the track I was bouncing out

I still have the problem, I’ve seen big black bars on my screen I have dozens of friends with different other import export problems it seems like as far as these last releases go there a lot a little things… But to meThe sluggish feel of the program is the killer for my mouse hand and it’s so imperceptible that you think I can get through this but after working for a while you really feel it

Ventura ,PT 2022.10, MacbookPro 13"[2020] M1 16G, Antelope Orion 32+ Gen3..SSL Sigma summing, SMART Comp C1LA, CharterOak EQP-1 Oceanway Audio HR4S monitors . SSL X-Rack w XR618 compressors, dbx 160x [2]
Old 09-13-2021, 12:16 PM

The idea of having to "spoon feed" Pro Tools after my extensive, arduous and $$$ upgrade to HDX after many stable year on PT 10 HD would be pretty painful. Add in to that the hefty monthly subscription fee and it becomes insulting to think you would have to spoon feed Pro Tools. But I know what you mean... Most of my music mixes I am more than happy to do in real time bounce, which has worked for me so far. I can handle the occasional hiccup with offline long podcast or audiobook bounces. I also appreciate that - as opposed to my PT 10 system - I can force quit Pro Tools and then re-load it without having to restart the computer

I appreciate the thoughts on 2021.7. I have been very hesitant to upgrade. I am fairly stable for the most part on 2021.6 so I'm not really sure why I would risk an upgrade to a possibly more error prone 2021.7 without any obvious new feature enhancements I am dying to get