Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2001, 01:55 PM

Default Re: HELP TP LE 5.1.1 System DEAD!!

And no it's not Dell. It's a totally built for Protools PIII 1 ghz. 512 Meg Ram 100 gig Asus 815 chipset Motherboard PC that if I had it to do again would be a Mac G4!! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2001, 05:39 AM

If it's "totally built for protools" why are you running a sb card?

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 09-04-2001, 01:00 PM

I use a SB Live with my Digi 001 PC. I've never had a problem with it. I wouldn't want to run without it. Much easier to use than external MIDI synths. And can get some pretty good sounds utilizing Sound Fonts.

I know that there have been lots of individuals having major problems with SB Live in a 001 system, and I won't argue with them. But there are also a lot of users, like me, who have the SB Live working fine with the 001. I guess it depends on the specific combination of motherboard/processor and other hardware. Some combinations work troublefree, while other combinations just won't work.

Mike
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs
Old 09-05-2001, 12:45 AM

Personally, if I was building a "ProTools" specific computer, I wouldn't want or need a SB Live card. I can't figure out what you would need it for.
When I was installing, I remember SB being a major pain-in-the-ass. When we removed it from the equation, all problems disappeared. Almost everyone I know with PTLE has mentioned Soundblaster conflicts. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-10-2001, 07:14 PM

Just a thought Doc ...
I wonder if the problem lies with the 001 wave driver conflicting with either your SB or some other component.
You can disable both the 001 wave & midi drivers in ControlPanel/Multimedia. ProTools will run no problem without these ... although if 001 is your only midi box you wont have any midi I/O.
Worth a try though at least to rule it out!
Best of luck

Stew
Old 09-10-2001, 08:36 PM

I too had issues with my Soundblaster Card and the 001. I did as one person said above and created a dual boot scenario, one with the Digi enabled and the Soundblaster disabled, the other with the Digi disabled and the soundblaster enabled. This works fine. I did go thru some pains trying to get them to work together (trying cards in different slots etc) but finally gave up. I have a second P.C. (lucky me) that I can use the synth functions of the onboard S.B. card. P.S. I also disabled my network card on my Digi bootup option and everything works fine. I basically have two setups, one for recording and one for "the net".

Good luck, T-Man
Old 09-11-2001, 03:11 PM
Avid

DocH,
-To eliminate the possibility of faulty hardware, run DigiTest. Does it recognize and/or pass the Digi001?

Although I have yet to understand what exactly causes Access Violation errors, here are a few suggestions:
-Quit all applications running in the background.

-We have discovered that PT LE makes some sort of call to the default printer driver in the system even though there are no printing options within Pro Tools. Disabling the default printer driver might fix this problem. If you have a printer hooked up, then you might want to check for an updated printer driver or try reinstalling the printer driver.

Make sure none of the files that you are accessing are write-protected. To disable this setting for all data being used in the session:
-Go to the file folder that contains all of your audio data
-Select all files in it (i.e. simply drag the mouse box around all of the files)
-Right+click->properties->disable “read only”

As suggested above, check for the possibility of a resource conflict:
-Open the Control Panels>System>Device Manager tab and go through each device list and disable all third party drivers and disable all ports not being used (network card, modem, third party mouse, USB controllers, SCSI card, etc) restart the computer. Once the computer reboots, check your resources. You can get a list of which resources are currently being used from the Control Panel>System>Device Manager window. Highlight the Computer icon and click “Properties.” If the Digi001 is sharing with a Com port or anther device (like a network card), move the card to another PCI slot to force Windows to assign it a new number.
-PLEASE NOTE: It is normal (and desired) that a “Holder For PCI Steering” to share the same resource as the Digi001 card.

-Once you get a unique resource assigned to the Digi001, see how the system performs when running Pro Tools. If all is well, add each device back into the current hardware profile, one-by-one, until the culprit is found.

Brent
Old 10-13-2001, 09:39 PM

Just want to add to Quikdraws comment about SB Live... I initially had problems when I installed PT LE 5.01 so I took out the SB live. When I got the 5.1.1 disk I reformated and set up a few partitions on my haed disk. After reading up another thread (while looking for Direct Connect info) I saw QD and da BaSStArd chatting about SB live so I reinstalled it over 5.1.1..... No problem.. works great.. system is V basic P11 350, 320M RAM and 20G HD commate MOBO with via chipset. I'm glad it works for the soundfonts which are a lot more CPU friendly than Gigasampler(although not as nice [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] )

I'd encourage anyone to try it at least once.
BTW on the main thread topic have you set up the HD to use DMA and switched off the Auto insert notification? It's easy to forget after a reinstall...

Sean