Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 01-29-2023, 10:25 AM
Avid

Default Re: Avid Control Frequently Disconnecting with Silicon Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogamble View Post
One other bit of info I add. When the problem is occurring, there isn't the Eucon Logo with the exclamation mark in the corner of my Avid Control screen. Perhaps implying that it's still connected to the host computer, but not communicating properly somehow?
When its in this state can you please collect the logs and post a link to them in a PM
Old 01-29-2023, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
When its in this state can you please collect the logs and post a link to them in a PM
Thanks so much. Is that with "collect support files" from the Eucontrol menu bar?
Old 01-29-2023, 10:47 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogamble View Post
Thanks so much. Is that with "collect support files" from the Eucontrol menu bar?
Yes
Old 02-01-2023, 06:13 PM

I too have had what seems to be exactly the same issue. I have 4 x S1s and 1 x Dock that are all working flawlessly, but the Avid Control app drops out every 10-15 mins or so. The interface seems to 'freeze' and nothing is updated (ie, timecode display doesn't change when Pro Tools is playing), and controls are unresponsive. If I restart the app, the connection is restored, but it drops out again after the same amount of time. If I do not restart the app, eventually the app crashes and I'm returned to the iPad home screen - at this point I loose the currently recalled layout on the S1s.

I have tried 3 different iPads, and 2 different Lightning-USB-Ethernet adapters - all exhibit the same behavior.

All Eucon devices are running on an independent subnet, and are connected to an unmanaged switch (the unmanaged switch connects to the managed switch via 1 cable, so that the subnet is properly defined and managed) - there is no other traffic on the subnet. I have also tried connecting the iPad directly to the managed switch (to see if the unmanaged switch was the cause of the problem) and the results are the same.

It's worth noting that the dropouts only seem to occur when working in a Pro Tools session - the iPad Avid Control app remains responsive all day if the DADMan is the focused app. Likewise, if Pro Tools is open, but no session is loaded the app remains responsive. It does not seem to matter the complexity of the PT session that's running - a simple session with 40 tracks or a complex mix with 400 tracks - the behavior is the same

I never noticed this behavior on an Intel Mac, although I haven't used an Intel Mac with the exact setup that we're currently running.

Currently running:
MacOS 12.5.1 - Mac Studio 2022 M1 Ultra w 128GB RAM
PT 2022.12.0
Eucon 2022.12.0.81
iPad Pro ML0F2X/A
iOS 16.2
Avid Control App Version 2022.12.0.140
Ubiquiti UDM Special Edition Router
Ubiquiti USW-Enterprise-24-PoE Managed Switch
Netgear GS116Ev2 Unmanaged Switch
Old 02-02-2023, 08:37 AM

I've been having similar issues with the Control app, previously 2022.9 now 2022.12, on 3 x Fire 10 HDs (S1s), and 1 iPad (Dock). But our wifi is pretty mediocre at the moment, so I was just chalking it up to that.
Old 02-02-2023, 08:53 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesa5454 View Post
I too have had what seems to be exactly the same issue. I have 4 x S1s and 1 x Dock that are all working flawlessly, but the Avid Control app drops out every 10-15 mins or so. The interface seems to 'freeze' and nothing is updated (ie, timecode display doesn't change when Pro Tools is playing), and controls are unresponsive. If I restart the app, the connection is restored, but it drops out again after the same amount of time. If I do not restart the app, eventually the app crashes and I'm returned to the iPad home screen - at this point I loose the currently recalled layout on the S1s.

I have tried 3 different iPads, and 2 different Lightning-USB-Ethernet adapters - all exhibit the same behavior.

All Eucon devices are running on an independent subnet, and are connected to an unmanaged switch (the unmanaged switch connects to the managed switch via 1 cable, so that the subnet is properly defined and managed) - there is no other traffic on the subnet. I have also tried connecting the iPad directly to the managed switch (to see if the unmanaged switch was the cause of the problem) and the results are the same.

It's worth noting that the dropouts only seem to occur when working in a Pro Tools session - the iPad Avid Control app remains responsive all day if the DADMan is the focused app. Likewise, if Pro Tools is open, but no session is loaded the app remains responsive. It does not seem to matter the complexity of the PT session that's running - a simple session with 40 tracks or a complex mix with 400 tracks - the behavior is the same

I never noticed this behavior on an Intel Mac, although I haven't used an Intel Mac with the exact setup that we're currently running.

Currently running:
MacOS 12.5.1 - Mac Studio 2022 M1 Ultra w 128GB RAM
PT 2022.12.0
Eucon 2022.12.0.81
iPad Pro ML0F2X/A
iOS 16.2
Avid Control App Version 2022.12.0.140
Ubiquiti UDM Special Edition Router
Ubiquiti USW-Enterprise-24-PoE Managed Switch
Netgear GS116Ev2 Unmanaged Switch
Is it possible to try running from the EUCON switch straight into your mac? Make sure to turn off any power saving or speed negotiation on the Ethernet adapter EUCON is connected to in the Mac.
Old 02-02-2023, 09:06 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
I've been having similar issues with the Control app, previously 2022.9 now 2022.12, on 3 x Fire 10 HDs (S1s), and 1 iPad (Dock). But our wifi is pretty mediocre at the moment, so I was just chalking it up to that.
Yes, bad wifi would cause this. Hopefully you followed the instructions here: https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...ontrol-Support
Old 02-06-2023, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
Is it possible to try running from the EUCON switch straight into your mac? Make sure to turn off any power saving or speed negotiation on the Ethernet adapter EUCON is connected to in the Mac.
I tried running all Eucon devices directly into the unmanaged switch (without connecting the unmanaged switch to the router). Surprisingly the Avid Control App stays online for longer (hours, not minutes), however it ultimately still disconnects - this has been repeated over several days of usage
Old 02-14-2023, 03:54 AM

I've been getting this since going Apple Silicon, too. In my case, unmanaged switch directly in to Mac via Belkin adaptor. 4x Artist Mix's and an Artist Control + Avid Control app.
Exactly the same setup I've been running for many years without issue on an Intel machine. I've also tried running Control on Wi-Fi, but behaviour is the same. This has been a problem for the past 3 EuCon versions and past 6 PT versions. A workaround I've found (and also one that demonstrates this is not a network issue) is to run EuCon and MC_Client in Rosetta mode. No crashes/freezes. When it's running natively in Apple Silicon mode, it crashes/becomes unresponsive all the time which causes me to lose my layout as I'm working. It's done this in both Pro Tools and Logic. Pretty much unusable at the moment running natively. Workaround is fine, but inefficient/unsustainable long-term.

Monterey 12.6.1, PT 2022.12/2022.10/2022.9/2022.7/2022.5/2022.4, EuCon 2022.12/2022.9/2022.4

MacBook M1 16" 2021
Old 02-19-2023, 12:38 PM

Just wanted to follow back up on this thread since the problem has been fixed for me thanks to some help from EddieJones. I am now running the eucontrol app in Rosetta mode on my Mac, and the issues have completely went away.

Find eucontrol in your Applications folder, right click, and hit "get info". Click on the option to "Open in Rosetta". Then restart eucontrol .

From what I can tell, there's no difference in my system's performance from running this in Rosetta. Just a massive improvement in stability.