Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 12-05-2022, 05:17 PM

Default remote overdub - click-track?

How are you. I’m wondering if someone could help? My bassist and I recorded a song live to Pro Tools using a click-track. The engineer, though he captured the audio nicely, is a newbie regarding some of the more in-depth aspects of the software. Our song has three separate tracks - lead vocal, acoustic guitar, and electric bass. I’d like to send the song to a friend (in another state) so he can remotely add mandolin to the song. Since I want him to use the same click-track that we used, must I turn that click-track into an audio track and send it to him as a separate .wav file? Or, is that click-track already recorded (but “mute-able” if need be) on one of the original vocal, guitar or bass tracks? Also, when I send him the song, should I “bounce” all three separate tracks (four, if the click-track is included?) to a single .wav file? Take care and thanks so much! - Brock

Last edited by rbracch; 12-06-2022 at 06:45 AM.
Old 12-06-2022, 02:05 PM

Default Re: remote overdub - click-track?

How is your friend recording? Is he using Pro Tools? If so, the easiest way would be to send him the whole session, have him record his part into the same session, then send the session back to you.

If your friend is not using Pro Tools, then I would suggest bouncing each track separately without the click track, by muting the click track, soloing each track one at a time, and bouncing. Then unmute the click track, solo it, and bounce the click track as a separate track as well. Make absolutely sure that you don't change your in and out points when bouncing each track plus the click track, so they all can all be lined up at the same place and play in sync.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-07-2022, 12:12 PM

Default Re: remote overdub - click-track?

And if your friend is using Pro Tools, I would pan the click to one side and pan all your audio tracks to the other side and bounce that as an MP3 stereo file and email it. When you bounce it, name the file "song nameXXXBPM"(where XXX is the actual tempo). Alternately, zip and upload the entire session with dropbox, wetranfer.com or some other file sharing utility

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave