Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2001, 05:41 AM

Default these user groups aren\'t bad...

Been some pretty good advice from you guys here. Thanks!

Had some issues solved and only one subject that still is a mystery. It seems like it's difficult to get definitive answers regarding converters. I know that "people have their own tastes" but is it really that new of a topic that no one can tell me that they've sat down and A/B'd 4-6 different converters and said, "this sounded hot or it sucked"? Do I really have to keep reading distributors replies saying, "yes ours does that. Did you read the review in Mix magazine?"

I would go out and do this myself but I would not be a good reference because I am not a seasoned engineer. I'll do it anyway and tell you what I think but as I said. I won't be a good reference. I wouldnt really know what I SHOULD be trying to listen for other than a generalization of a sound. That's why I'm asking you guys. There must be some engineer out there that has tested alot of converters. No ??

There are so many conflicting reports, tests, advice etc that it's crazy. I'm more confused now than when I started these threads.

Now that there are alot of converters around why don't some serious engineers A/B a few mid priced converters (without an additional W/C box) on a simplified set up like a 001, NS10's, and a Bryston amp and let us know what they think?

I would LOVE to know if any converters like the Lucid ADA9624, ADI-8Pro, Rosetta, Nuendo 8 I/O, or Genex GXD8 sound just as good or pretty damn close to the "over priced" converters like the AD8000, Mytech or Prism boxes. And please don't refer me to that infamous Mix Mag review of late.

Does anyone have the time to do some testing and post a new topic on a forum titled "CONVERTER TESTS RESULTS" ?

Peace
Old 10-09-2001, 06:45 AM

Default Re: these user groups aren\'t bad...

The issue of differences between converters is a really interesting one. My humble opinion is that it's much more the skill of the engineer that counts rather than what converters etc. are used. And the tiny differences between converters for example, are certainly lost when the record is heard on the radio, MTV etc. via consumer equipment. Or are they...?

Could anyone of you tell by just listening a sound from a boombox whether it was recorded through 888 or Apogee etc...? Of course, the Apogee has Soft-Limit(tm)...So would not an engineer be tempted to record at a little bit "hot" levels when using that and then considering the resulting sound "better" although it is just louder? A basic psychological phenomenon...

Z