Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-10-2010, 08:01 AM

Default Pro Tools LE pre-purchasing questions

Hello
I am thinking of purchasing Pro Tools LE to do my film sound editing. I have been using Logic Pro 7 (on my G5 powerpc). I will soon be on a Mac pro 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel (OS 10.6). I have a very limited budget.
Here are my questions:

1) if I purchase an Mbox 3 or 2, mbox mini or mbox pro can I use digitranslator 2.0 with it to import video, and import/export OMF and AAF from FCP, AVID or DAW suites like Logic. Does it read .mxf files (which my Logic couldn't do).

2)Can I just purchase Digitranslator 2.0 as opposed to buying the whole DV Tool Kit. Will it perform all the tasks I need from my question #1. Thus, if I am not getting the entire DV Tool Kit (just digitranslator 2.0) what am I losing out on... i.e. SFX bundles or software capabilities that I'm not aware of.

3)If I am able to set up the Mbox as I ask, what advantages would I get by going with a 003 rack (speed etc)

4)If I don't get digitranslator right away, can I still import quicktime video into a session (as a float).

5)Lastly... (first time dealing with this). the iLok thing - does it ship with the software? do I have to purchase it then register it? is it a requirement for LE with an mbox.

Thanks for any help.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:05 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools LE pre-purchasing questions

Hello Frame'ster & WELCOME TO THE DUC'eim...

OK, so to answer all ur questions in 1, Pro Tools 9...

Now yes, if u want an Avid interface, U can buy 1 but now u don't need 1... U really should go & read up on PT9; U probably wouldn't hav even started ur DUC'areer with this thread

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 11-10-2010, 08:21 AM

Thanks for the welcome

I didn't know they were completely changing architecture, but sounds like I can get what I need out of it for my film stuff.

Thanks
Old 11-10-2010, 08:31 AM

Yeahppp

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 11-10-2010, 10:19 AM

Keep in mind that PT9 includes basic timecode function, and allows 1 video track. It includes the functionality of Digitranslator as well.

However, to have surround mixing capabilities, and multiple video tracks, you'll need the Complete Production Toolkit 2.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:23 PM

thanks nst7

for me... I leave the burden of surround to the mixer.