Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2004, 04:43 PM

Default stuck transport in PTLE

I'm using 6.4 on OS 10.3.5

sometimes, when I've been working on a session a while, the transport seems to begin behaving erratically - I'll select a region, or part of a region, press play, and it won't move. the cursor line flashes a couple of times but does not move, and you hear a single "pop" but no audio after that. I wondered if this was some software function which I had not grasped, but I suspect that it is some kind of bug, because if I save, quit, and relaunch, the transport will behave normally again.

This happens fairly frequently. It may be my imagination, but I've only really noticed it since I started using more virtual instruments in PTLE (I recently bought NI Komplete and have been using Battery, Intakt, B4 etc). It's a nuisance, as stopping the session, quitting and relaunching tends to disrupt the creative flow.

could it be some kind of buffer overrun problem perhaps? (but there's no error message).

anyone else getting this problem?
Old 11-03-2004, 05:18 PM

Default Re: stuck transport in PTLE

I get this problem in OS 9 in PT 5.something. I think my problem is due to the fact that the revision on my AMIII is a little old, but what seems to make it happen the most is when my airport card is on. When I have networking disabled it doesnt happen that often. I don't know if that will help in PT 6, OSX but that's what I did to get rid of the problem. WHen it does happen the odd time I just save, close session and reopen it.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:27 AM

Yes bustromo, we have noticed this as well in our college. We have 30 eMacs and at least 2 or 3 of them will experience this exact same problem every day, mostly with just a small MIDI session 3 or 4 tracks (no virtual instruments). It appears to be completely random and not specific to any one particular computer, sometimes it will lock up the machine and require a restart but mostly like you say, we just save, quit and reopen. We assumed it was a bug in 6.4 but we'd love to hear any solutions especially from Digi (don't say the problem is 10.3.5 cos I'm sure it happened in 10.3.4 as well)
Old 11-04-2004, 05:59 AM

I've had this problem many, many times. I've posted about it and got no replies before. I thought either I'd gone crazy or had changed some mode accidentally. I pretty much went through the whole ref. guide and found nothing about this.

When the transport is locked, look at the transport controls when you press "play". It seems that the "stop" button lights as you press the "play" button when the problem occurs.

I've had two sessions where the problem was so bad that I had to export the audio files and create a new session.

Digi support said they had never heard of it.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:26 AM

Like I said I'm pretty sure this was happening in 10.3.4 for us as well but just to check are you using 10.3.4 or 5 Max. If you are using .5 did it happen with .4 as well. At least we could start to narrow the problem down a bit. I know there have been several people on complaining about problems with 10.3.5 and I know it's not supported by Digi.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:46 AM

This happened to me a lot with 10.3.4. I have a second generation dual 2.0 G5, so 10.3.5 actually IS approved by Digi for this machine. For some reason, when I got my RAM up to 6 Gigs, almost all my problems disappeared. I upgraded to 10.3.5, since I realized it's approved now. Ever since then, the stuck transport problem is back. I was thinking it was a RAM thing, but since it's back now, maybe not.

O/T: I have a pop-up toaster. I put butter on my toast but my toast got cold and I want to toast it a little more. Can I put it in the toaster then turn the toaster on it's side so the butter doesn't drip down into the bottom of the toaster?
Old 11-05-2004, 08:08 AM

of course!
Old 11-08-2004, 03:24 AM

I would say it would still be dangerous turning your toaster on it side.
As a general rule combining liquids and electricity is a no no, and the butter could end up bubbling and splattering the toaster elements and burning it out.
Even if that didnt happen your final product would be more akin to fried bread as opposed to a well done piece of toast with butter
on it

On the other issue of the stuck transport syndrome, I've only ever seen it happen with MIDI sessions, which led me to believe it was a bug associated with some MIDI function or other. Has it happened with an audio or mixed session as well for you.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:14 AM

As an alternative you could always stick your toast in the oven (between 375-400) for a few minutes. That should heat it up while retaining maximum toast-iness. I would not recommend the microwave, however, as that would leave your toast limp...
Old 12-02-2004, 05:51 AM

Guess it's ok to ressurect this thread since I'm still having this problem.

Quote:
On the other issue of the stuck transport syndrome, I've only ever seen it happen with MIDI sessions, which led me to believe it was a bug associated with some MIDI function or other. Has it happened with an audio or mixed session as well for you
I've been watching for this...I do have midi in all my sessions..at the very least, I have BFD coming in so I can stack snare sounds on top of the real drums. Another thing I've noticed is that the stuck transport thing seems to occur when there are "a lot" of tracks, which in PTLE, for me at least, means fourteen or more.

The usual fix I use is to close the session and re-open it, the only problem is that certain plugins don't come back the way I saved them. UAD plugins running on PTLE seem to be a little flaky in this regard. Possibly a wrapper phenomenon?

Anyhow, the stuck transport really does kill the workflow of mixing. Would really like to track down the cause of this prob.

002 rack, Dual 2.0 G5, 6G RAM, two internal 200G SATA drives, external 70G FW 400 drive with rewire sounds, sessions at 44.1/24 bits

Thanks for the input on toasting.