Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-05-2021, 01:26 AM
J-Hi J-Hi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 10
Default 96k Headphone Adapter MacBook Pro

Bought a 96k headphone adapter for my MacBook Pro. It plays back 96k audio from QuickTime and Apple Music no problem, but when I open PT, it says this interface doesn’t support 96k. As I open PT, I watch the 96k option in Audio MIDI Setup disappear. WTH?

MacBookPro14,3
macOS 11.5.1
PT 21.6.0.101
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-05-2021, 01:42 AM
JFreak's Avatar
JFreak JFreak is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tampere, Finland
Posts: 22,579
Default Re: 96k Headphone Adapter MacBook Pro

Hi, welcome to the community.

i believe you should ask this question on Apple Support, does not sound like a PT problem.
__________________
Janne
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-05-2021, 10:08 AM
Eric Seaberg's Avatar
Eric Seaberg Eric Seaberg is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,888
Default Re: 96k Headphone Adapter MacBook Pro

What device is it? I have a couple that work at 96k and higher without issues, both on my iMac and MBPro. Are you setting the device as master clock in Audio MIDI setup?

Sorry if I'm asking the obvious...
__________________
Eric Seaberg • San Diego, CA
A.E.S., I.E.E.E., S.M.P.T.E., S.P.A.R.S.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-07-2021, 01:56 AM
J-Hi J-Hi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 10
Default Re: 96k Headphone Adapter MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Hi, welcome to the community.

i believe you should ask this question on Apple Support, does not sound like a PT problem.
Not so. It worked perfectly in Apple apps, QuickTime, Apple Music, etc. The issue only arises when starting Pro Tools. How could Apple possibly help when it works fine in their OS, hardware, and apps? Answer: They can’t. This is a PT issue.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-07-2021, 01:56 AM
J-Hi J-Hi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 10
Default Re: 96k Headphone Adapter MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Seaberg View Post
What device is it? I have a couple that work at 96k and higher without issues, both on my iMac and MBPro. Are you setting the device as master clock in Audio MIDI setup?

Sorry if I'm asking the obvious...
X-Kim
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-07-2021, 03:38 AM
Top Jimmy's Avatar
Top Jimmy Top Jimmy is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 5,620
Default Re: 96k Headphone Adapter MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Hi View Post
X-Kim
Just because you can set the coreaudio clock to 96K when using this particular headphone adapter doesn't necessarily mean this device actually supports 96K. What it means (and what you are seeing) is a device that allows coreaudio sample rate conversion to its own native sample rate.

The Pro Tools coreaudio interface does not allow for sample rate conversion. Therefore, you are seeing the only real sample rates available with that device when you are running Pro Tools.
__________________
James Cadwallader

Hackintosh - Gigabyte Z77X-UP5TH, Intel Core i7-3770K, 32GB 1600Mhz DDR3, 2x SATA 6Gb/s 240GB SSD, 3x SATA 6Gb/s 1TB HDD, 1x Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, Mojave 10.14.6.

Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.3, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre (Mac)
Pro Tools 2020.12, Mbox3 (Win)

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-07-2021, 09:14 AM
Rich Breen Rich Breen is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Burbank, CA USA
Posts: 2,009
Default Re: 96k Headphone Adapter MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Hi View Post
Not so. It worked perfectly in Apple apps, QuickTime, Apple Music, etc. The issue only arises when starting Pro Tools. How could Apple possibly help when it works fine in their OS, hardware, and apps? Answer: They can’t. This is a PT issue.
Don't be so sure of that; as @Top_Jimmy says, almost certainly this device isn't really a 96k interface. All those apps use CoreAudio SRC. The only "X-Kim" audio hardware I see is a cheap little USB-Headphone adapter - If that's what you're using then no, that's not gonna work. If you post a link to the device we may be able to confirm.
__________________
http://www.richbreen.com

----------------------------------------
MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex, OS 10.14.6, PT 2021.10 HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, Avid C24, 3xS1/Dock.
Also running a 2013 nMP / HDX / S6

Last edited by Rich Breen; 08-07-2021 at 10:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-08-2021, 01:37 AM
J-Hi J-Hi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 10
Default Re: 96k Headphone Adapter MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
Don't be so sure of that; as @Top_Jimmy says, almost certainly this device isn't really a 96k interface. All those apps use CoreAudio SRC. The only "X-Kim" audio hardware I see is a cheap little USB-Headphone adapter - If that's what you're using then no, that's not gonna work. If you post a link to the device we may be able to confirm.
Yes, a "cheap little USB Headphone adapter" is EXACTLY what I want. As you probably know, ever since Apple decided to gut the headphone adapter and pull the TOSLINK out I can't run 96k sessions in headphones on my friggin' laptop.

Okay, fine, let's cut to the chase. Where is Avid's list of approved headphone adapters that work at 96k with PT? I don't need an entire "portable interface" just to do some editing. I googled 96k headphone adapters and found the X-Kim. I'm not making final mix decisions. I don't GAF about pristine jitter specs or anything. I just want it to work. I shouldn't need to spend large coin so I can play back a 96k PT session in fecking headphones. The speakers work for Chrissake. The clock is there. I'm not asking for anything extra.

This is ********. Laptops suck. I miss my Hackintosh while I'm on vacation.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-08-2021, 02:13 AM
J-Hi J-Hi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 10
Default Re: 96k Headphone Adapter MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
Just because you can set the coreaudio clock to 96K when using this particular headphone adapter doesn't necessarily mean this device actually supports 96K. What it means (and what you are seeing) is a device that allows coreaudio sample rate conversion to its own native sample rate.

The Pro Tools coreaudio interface does not allow for sample rate conversion. Therefore, you are seeing the only real sample rates available with that device when you are running Pro Tools.
Question: If Pro Tools uses Core Audio for hardware, what does it care if Core Audio does SRC? It should be hardware agnostic. It can play back using the speakers, so we know the clock and everything else it needs is presented to the PT engine. The fact that it fails ONLY on headphones is some serious BS.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-08-2021, 06:02 AM
musicman691 musicman691 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Sopranos State (NJ)
Posts: 18,809
Default Re: 96k Headphone Adapter MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Hi View Post
Yes, a "cheap little USB Headphone adapter" is EXACTLY what I want. As you probably know, ever since Apple decided to gut the headphone adapter and pull the TOSLINK out I can't run 96k sessions in headphones on my friggin' laptop.

Okay, fine, let's cut to the chase. Where is Avid's list of approved headphone adapters that work at 96k with PT? I don't need an entire "portable interface" just to do some editing. I googled 96k headphone adapters and found the X-Kim. I'm not making final mix decisions. I don't GAF about pristine jitter specs or anything. I just want it to work. I shouldn't need to spend large coin so I can play back a 96k PT session in fecking headphones. The speakers work for Chrissake. The clock is there. I'm not asking for anything extra.

This is ********. Laptops suck. I miss my Hackintosh while I'm on vacation.
Why not lose the 'tude and post the exact piece of hardware you are using along with a link to the product? Perhaps you do need to spend a little extra to get things to work.


edit for additional:
Why don't you use the MBP's headphone jack? It's still there you know.
__________________
Jack
See profile for system details
iMac dead & retired as of 11/4/17

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 08-08-2021 at 10:25 AM. Reason: added headphone jack info
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SC48 with new MacBook Pro late 2016 Thunderbolt 3 ports no FireWire adapter technician VENUE Live Sound Systems 7 03-02-2017 04:47 AM
My headphone jack has pulled apart my adapter Hotcrazyfruit Eleven Rack 13 11-11-2011 10:16 AM
Only getting sound from one headphone? Adapter problem? jerm267 Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac) 3 01-16-2010 11:16 PM
FW800 -> FW400 Adapter for Macbook Pro Mattitude 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 2 06-22-2009 07:31 AM
FirmTek SATA ExpressCard/34 Adapter for MacBook? acmost 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 0 07-11-2006 08:10 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:24 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com