Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2015, 08:46 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 12.3 - more info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Just think about all these basic questions. Did Avid not see any of these questions being answered in advance. You know, think Worst Case Scenario, think of all the potential issues that will come from any plan and make sure we have a plan to deal with them all, or at least greatly minimize them.

How hard would it have been to brain storm around the conference table, and try to think of all the questions the end user might have, and make sure all of those are answered in the announcement? Seriously, how hard?

I do this every day with my team......Every single freakin' day!!!!
The CEO of Avid is a computer programmer - he thinks everyone else's has their masters in computer science. Given Avid's complex and ridiculous pro tools activation procedure hiring a proper communication director is not a serious priority either. I think Avid has no idea how the average creative person thinks....
Old 11-03-2015, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Just think about all these basic questions. Did Avid not see any of these questions being answered in advance. You know, think Worst Case Scenario, think of all the potential issues that will come from any plan and make sure we have a plan to deal with them all, or at least greatly minimize them.

How hard would it have been to brain storm around the conference table, and try to think of all the questions the end user might have, and make sure all of those are answered in the announcement? Seriously, how hard?

I worked in the oil refining business. I sat in on hundreds of project development meetings. We always had a group that did Hazops and What If scenarios and it is amazing how those SOP procedures would reveal all kinds of issues that then would be resolved as the project was developed.
And your right it is a everyday event built within all the work we did.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:14 PM

Quote:

Yesserie!

Like others I have some inkling of how to manage effectively .... the last 12 years of my career were spent assessing the efficacy of the strategic safety management systems put in place on the UK's rail network post privatisation, as implemented by each of the train operators, the network operator, and the myriad maintenance companies.

Change management is probably THE key thing for a company to get a good grip on ... pretty well all of the serious accidents that happened in the ten years post-privatisation can be directly attributed to a lack of management control due to failure to manage the implementation of change.

And that's exactly what Avid has, and is, failing to manage effectively too. I suspect that any inovation that we do see shipping ... and the Pro Tools | Dock certainly is an unlooked for and unexpected 'cool new' piece of kit with a lot of potential ... is primarily down to the dogmatic endurance of the creatives within the company, who've probably had to bang their heads against more brick walls than we've had hot dinners to get it into production.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 11-04-2015, 12:01 AM

Nigel Pry for AVID CEO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-04-2015, 12:18 AM

Watched the what new video with a friend who has been using logic since the 90's. he said, wow so like 10 years ago logic...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHA...

officially track freeze may not be 10 years old but you get the point.

System
MacPro 12 Core • 24 G Ram • 10.12.6
PT 12.8.1 • Mbox 3 Pro • Plug-ins Verified
4 HD • OS ssd | Audio ssd | Sample Library ssd | Storage
MAXPower eSATA 6G Card • Wiebetech RTX100H-Q
Kensington Trackball Works/Orbit Optical
Bluetooth off/Airport on and off.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifted Music View Post
Watched the what new video with a friend who has been using logic since the 90's. he said, wow so like 10 years ago logic...

Danged if you do, danged if you don't.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifted Music View Post

No point worrying about Logic, they haven't even got the basics right on that - e.g. you press "mute" on a track in the edit window and it takes at least half a second to activate. So annoying. I once opened up a Logic 8 session in Logic 9 and all the delay times were up the swanny as they'd tweaked the (stock) plug-in, so the sessions weren't even properly compatible between versions. Semi-pro. Funny how no one bothers to mention these things.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:01 AM

Quote:
No point worrying about Logic, they haven't even got the basics right on that - e.g. you press "mute" on a track in the edit window and it takes at least half a second to activate. So annoying. I once opened up a Logic 8 session in Logic 9 and all the delay times were up the swanny as they'd tweaked the (stock) plug-in, so the sessions weren't even properly compatible between versions. Semi-pro. Funny how no one bothers to mention these things.
I can never resist a good Logic bashing having suffered under it for a good 8 years - how about this one. If you have latency inducing plugins on Auxes or Masters you have to set your delay compensation to 'All' otherwise everything plays out of time. Fine. But then any newly recorded audio will be out of sync. And the best part? Good luck finding out how much it's out by as Logic doesn't report plugin delays in samples anywhere. I had to play a click and record it to work it out. Can you imagine the scale of the bitching if PT did that? Although to be fair I haven't tried this yet in Pro X so maybe it's been fixed. Did it in 7-9 though.

Anecdotally the mute latency you mentioned might actually be due to a setting under Preferences>General>Track Mute/Solo. Has 2 modes, one designed to save CPU. In big sessions it does get latent even in fast mode though.

Sorry for the thread hijack, I'll stop now
Old 11-04-2015, 03:16 AM

Me for CEO? that's genuinely funny ;-)

And as for our desire to bash (il)Logic from time to time, I've got a long list of issues, sime of which are actually issues, and some of which are working as per design, but the design itself serves only to make things more difficult than they need to be.

But I'll resist the temptation to go into detail here .... I've done it already in other threads here in the past ;-)
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 11-04-2015, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig Eliassen View Post
Danged if you do, danged if you don't.
In this case Avid is danged because they didn't.

I suppose it's nice that they thought of adding it now but they are really, really late to the party.
RME, Daking, Heritage, ISA, Sytek