Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2019, 11:50 AM

Default Idea - Channel Module with Artist/S1 Series

Looking at the S4 and S6 closer which seems to be a bit of a blueprint for the streamlined S1 and Dock. Wonder why Avid did not consider the channel strip knob module as an option for the Artist and now S1/Dock series. I think that many knobs to control channel strip plugins and more than 8 parameters at a time would be desirable - speed workflow and lessen menu dives. Kind of like in the MCU Pro world - the C4. Also Softube's Console 1.

And it aligns with Avid's strategy of giving the home project user modules of S6's in bite size chunks that can fit on a home desktop.

Last edited by sjgam; 10-08-2019 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Idea - Channel Module with Artist/S1 Series

Why? Price.

Every thing has to be made to a price point.

I’d be ecstatic if they just made a controller with knobs and zero faders, but I’m probably in the minority. Essentially, just a Eucon plugin controller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-07-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Why? Price.

Every thing has to be made to a price point.

I’d be ecstatic if they just made a controller with knobs and zero faders, but I’m probably in the minority. Essentially, just a Eucon plugin controller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Price - this would be a module- so you don’t have to buy it with mix or dock. Doesn’t have motorized faders but more knobs so maybe same price as mix. Speculation of course.

Yeah I was thinking of it as a plug-in controller with lots of knobs.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjgam View Post
Looking at the S4 and S6 closer which seems to be a bit of a blueprint for the streamlined S1 and Dock. Wonder why Avid did not consider the channel strip module as an option for the Artist and now S1/Dock series. I think that many knobs to control channel strip plugins and more than 8 parameters at a time would be desirable - speed workflow and lessen menu dives. Kind of like in the MCU Pro world - the C4. Also Softube's Console 1.

And it aligns with Avid's strategy of giving the home project user modules of S6's in bite size chunks that can fit on a home desktop.
Because all those modules are useless without the brain which is in the master module and is a full Windows computer. Those modules do nothing without it. There is no embedded logic processor -- it gets all its commands from the master module.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Because all those modules are useless without the brain which is in the master module and is a full Windows computer. Those modules do nothing without it. There is no embedded logic processor -- it gets all its commands from the master module.
Obviously in the same vein as the S1/mix and dock which draw inspiration from the S6 - the “artist” channel module would communicate though eucon/Ethernet and daw.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjgam View Post
Obviously in the same vein as the S1/mix and dock which draw inspiration from the S6 - the “artist” channel module would communicate though eucon/Ethernet and daw.
You do know the fader module (what you are calling the channel module) is US$5,500? And it has no "brain" which you'd now like implemented in the module.
The cost of all of this would eliminate any buyers/users. If Avid could do this for $1-$1.5k they would have done it already.

And the current S6 fader modules (actually all modules) do communicate via eucon/Ethernet -- they just need to communicate to the master module (which then communicates to the host Pro Tools computer.) It's all an ethernet/Eucon web of communication.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
You do know the fader module (what you are calling the channel module) is US$5,500? And it has no "brain" which you'd now like implemented in the module.
The cost of all of this would eliminate any buyers/users. If Avid could do this for $1-$1.5k they would have done it already.

And the current S6 fader modules (actually all modules) do communicate via eucon/Ethernet -- they just need to communicate to the master module (which then communicates to the host Pro Tools computer.) It's all an ethernet/Eucon web of communication.
Hey I think you are missing my point/suggestion and getting boggled down with the cost and complexity of the S6. The given is that the S6 and modules are relatively expensive compared to artist/S1/Dock. Part of the idea of the Artist/S1/Dock is to get you features/workflow of the S6 at lower price. They have done that with mixer/fader with Mix/S1 and transport/center console features with Dock. My suggestion is that they could come up with "Artist" version of knob module. One argument that there is appetite in consumer market is the Softtube Console 1 with all its channel strips knobs and Mackie C4 which I see still for sale on used market.

Note - correction I meant to say Channel Strip Knob module in first post - and just said Channel Strip module.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:38 AM

The "knob" module is the Dock.
There are 8 of them. Plus it acts like a mini MTM unit.

If you've never gathered why the C4 was discontinued it was because there was no demand. I know the ins-outs of the C4 situation because back in 2004/2005, Mackie tried to get me to consult on it.

The Dock can supply the Console 1 functions. The Console 1 supplies info on one channel and since it has no touchscreen has to divide by process type. The Dock has the dynamic nature of the touchscreen so it can update to what process type needs to be controlled and reuse the 8 knobs (and multiple pages of control.)

What you aren't getting is cost of manufacturing and demand. High cost of manufacturing, low demand. They already have the Dock. Have you used one? Have you used the S6 Knob module? The Dock (and now the S1) is clever in that it splits the cost so it seems less expensive by making the touchscreen a separate 3rd party purchase. The S6 Knob module has a little screen per every knob. 32 little screens and 32 touch-sensitive knobs with colour feedback. In manufacturing, the single strip screen on the Artist Mix is way cheaper than doing multiple little screens. And the failure rate will go up too with more parts.

What would be your layout for an "Artist Knob module" and at what cost do you think it should sell for? If you take a moment from just coveting the S6 knob module, you'll see it's not feasible or demanded. They streamlined the Artist/MC series for a reason -- a lot of the products had very low demand and keeping a manufacturing line increases cost for low quantity production. An Artist Knob module would be one more product to put Avid closer to bankruptcy.
If you don't use a Dock daily, I suggest getting deeply involved in it.