Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2012, 07:45 PM

Default Re: Best foot controller for use with Eleven Rack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetallicaSG1 View Post
i should have said before, i am new to midi, i understand it sends signals (in this case to change patches etc.) how easy is it to program? and say i did get the mastermind, the bank buttons change bank and 1-4(5) changes a,b,c,d?
Just had a peek at the manual:

MIDI program change messages (PC) are used to select patches on a device. There are 128 slows available, running from PC0-PC127.

In the ElevenRack, your "logical" view of patches is in banks of 4.
A1 = PC0
A2 = PC1
A3 = PC2
A4 = PC3
B1 = PC4
etc..

In the mastermind, your "logical" view is banks of 5
1.1 = PC0
1.2 = PC1
1.3 = PC2
1.4 = PC3
1.5 = PC4
2.1 = PC5
etc..

Expressing the ElevenRack banks as PC:
[bank letter] = A=0, B=1, C=2 etc...
[bank slot] = 1 to 4
PC = [bank letter] * 4 + [bank slot] -1
e.g. B4 - [1] * 4 + [4] - 1 = PC7

Expressing mastermind banks as PC
[bank] = 0 to 24
[bank slot] = 1 to 5
PC = [bank letter] * 5 + [bank slot] -1
e.g. 2.3 - [1] * 5 + [3] - 1 = PC7

Your PC choices on the Mastermind run from 0-124 (5 banks of 25). Using the formula above you can figure out which Mastermind patch maps to which ElevenRack preset. IMO the easiest way is to disregard the "banks" on the 11R and just treat it as patches in banks of 5, as mapped to your mastermind.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:48 AM

I have my Tonelab controlling the rack eleven and it works pretty well.I can go up and down the banks of sounds BUT I can't get the expression pedal to work- PLEASE HELP!!! I'd like to get the ToneLab SE Volume /expression pedal controlling the volume on the Rack Eleven - I'd appreciate any insights! Thanks, Will
Old 01-19-2013, 08:40 AM

I've also got a Tonelab SE and an 11R. Might try using both together & getting the pedals to work sometime next week.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRSWILL View Post
I have my Tonelab controlling the rack eleven and it works pretty well.I can go up and down the banks of sounds BUT I can't get the expression pedal to work- PLEASE HELP!!! I'd like to get the ToneLab SE Volume /expression pedal controlling the volume on the Rack Eleven - I'd appreciate any insights! Thanks, Will
What do you have your expression pedal plugged into? When I gigged with 11R I used a Roctron MidiMate but I plugged my expression pedal into the back of the 11R, not the MidiMate.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:25 AM

The Tonelab HAS an expression pedal built in. I have the up and down banks working along with selecting presets in each bank- now i'd like to get the pedal on the Tonlab to send volume or Wah ( preferrably both) to the 11R via MIDI. Volume is the # 1 issue. anyone have experience with this - i'd really appreciate it. I am hesitant to buy another foot control until I am certain this interface can't be done. For the life of me, I can't understand WHY Avid hasn't built a purpose-built foot controller for this thing. an $ 800 amp modeler and you have to use 3-rd party stuff for live use? this is really kind of crazy. I bet there are thousands of people out there that would buy a foot controller that allowed you to just "plug and play" and control all parameters of the 11r- would make it so much more usable. I am aplyer first- not a midi technician and I really don't want to spend a tome of time on this- but like I said, anyone who has some serious midi skills and can walk me through this- I'd appreciate the help!
Thanks, Will
Old 01-21-2013, 10:46 AM

Will, see pages 60 and 61 of the Tonelab SE manual for information on how to configure the controllers to send MIDI. Also, look in the 11R manual for the controller numbers to use for wah or volume.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:20 AM

I have.... Like I stated, I am not a MIDI expert and it's like reading chinese. If someone knows what screens to access, and can walk through a step -by -step process, that would be most helpful.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:10 PM

Thanks Tech support, you are absolutely right, no offence to the moderator but I bought the Behringer FCB1010 over 6 months ago and is to date the worst midi nightmare of my life. 1) there is a recall on the eprom, 2) whatever you figure out and try to save you loose and soon as you power down, (expression pedal wise). 3) You can buy an aftermarket UNO eprom which in my case made matters worse, by the time I almost got it to work I had to stop to learn how to play guitar again, pun intended. 4) Eurekaprom has the answer but has no phone number so you are at the mercy of paypal or google wallet. I've tried 15 times to purchase but they must use a behringer phone controller. Don't believe me. Research outside outside of this forum. By the way, you are all invited to a bonfire party at my house and because of the ground control and mission controllers the 11 rack is not invited.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Underpants View Post
Just to update this thread a little for anyone still interested...

I bought the POD HD500 specifically as a midi controller for my Eleven Rack and to add the extra effects I needed (harmonizer, whammy, looper, synth and voicebox).
This is the exact scenario I'm planning to go with. I have the 11R shipped and the HD500 Pro will be next. I'm going to go a step further and use the Line 6 foot controller with the rack based HD500 and 11R.

$699 for each is still $1400 versus $2200 for the AXE-FX.

I may PM you with some questions, but I am also wondering about going AES connections if they sit side by side in the rack.

I'm going to try the Line 6 foot controller with one ethernet cable to the HD500 that will send MIDI to the 11R. I'm hoping that will work with one cable on the floor to the rack.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:17 PM

I went for the GCP from Sweetwater...love those guys!

So, I ended up getting the HD Pro to add extra effects to the 11R. I tried running some sounds on its own plugged into the HD Pro and struggled. I set up my Send/Return chain from the 11R into the HD Pro and it made the HD Pro come alive.

11R is an excellent high-end processor. I'm convinced. Wow.

I have the GCP controlling both units no problem on independent MIDI channels and MIDI Omni but will need to keep them separate for the GCP foot switches. So far this has been an excellent theory that panned out nicely.

I get extra delays, I get the whammy, and I get the Octo Reverb (Verbzilla) to make The Edge type shimmers. Awesome.