Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 05-03-2021, 02:06 PM

Default Desperate with H/W Latency

Greetings all. I've looked all over the Web and this forum for help. I've spent countless hours trying to eliminate the latency from my external HW compressor. I watched a video I found online I thought would help but it didn't. The video I'm referring to is at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yglhg7S3DXk&t=182s

I tried the directions in that video several times. It looks pretty simple - recording a click track dry, and recording it going through the outboard compressor. When zooming way in on the clicks, I see no latency looking at the waveform. Since I don't see any latency, I can't update the hardware insert delay settings to compensate.

However, when ever I use this compressor in a session, the latency is terrible.

Any help would be much appreciated!

--Thanks!
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900KF CPU @ 3.60GHz
Memory: 32GB
Internal Hard Drives:
500GB= Programs
1TBGB= Audio
1tbGB= Samples/Back Up
External Hard Drives: Verbatim 1TB USB Drive
RME Fireface UFX Interface/Preamps
Pro Tools 2023
Focal CMS 65 Monitors
Avantones
Old 05-04-2021, 11:04 AM

Default Re: Desperate with H/W Latency

What compressor are you trying to use? Unless its something really special, I would stay in the box and avoid the hassle.

Re latency, its a cumulative function of several things:
1-Conversion time(D>A and A>D going out and in) as all converters take some time(usually around 1.2ms at 48K) and different brands can have slightly different times.
2-playback buffer(the higher the setting, the more latency.
3-plugin latency in your session(setting MIX window view to show delay compensation will show you that in samples). Less than 10-11 samples is tough to hear, but the higher the numbers, the more latency.
4-plugin latency on the MASTER track also adds to the total(and delay compensation does not compensate for MASTER track latency.
5-(not knowing how knowledgeable you are, and not intending any insult), remember that Delay Compensation works by finding the track with the most latency, and then making all the other tracks later to match(IOW, nothing ever gets moved earlier)

In my commercial studio in Nashville, I had plenty of really good hardware and the setup was wired to allow hardware inserts, but in the 5 years I ran the place, besides testing to make sure it all worked, when it came to mixing, I used hardware exactly zero times. I tracked thru lots(always careful not to overdo things). Mixing in the box comes with may benefits and zero hassle(my opinion)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave