Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2010, 03:17 PM

Default New computer build, is this setup working for anyone else?

Hey Everyone,

I'm building a new PT computer and every time I think I've got it figured out what I'm going to buy, I find something else to question if it will work. I've read the best systems and components thread, but still have questions.

Here's what my build would consist of so far. Let me know if anyone is running a similar sys or suggestions/changes I should make.

Running PT 7.4 HD core1 96I/O and 96i on Windows XP. (waiting to upgrade when PT 8 and windows 7 are playing nicely.

New computer build:
CPU - intel i5 760 quad core
MOBO - ASUS P7P55D P55
Ram - 8GB (4x2GB) PC12800 DDR3 1600 Dual Channel
GPU - ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB PCI Express
Case - APEVIA X-Plorer Black (not sure if this is big enough case for HD card)
Power - CoolerMaster eXtreme Power 550W Extra quiet
Old 09-17-2010, 06:00 PM

Default Re: New computer build, is this setup working for anyone else?

Personally I would go for an i7 1156 CPU like the 860 or 870 as opposed to an i5.
I would change the case for a 4u server rack (or if you have enough budget, the Corsair Obsidian 800D!) to make sure you have enough room and cooling for the cards, and i would get a slightly more powerful power supply (like the Coolermaster Silent Pro M 850)
One thing to NEVER skimp on is the PSU. Always get a well known manufacturer, and more power than you think you need!
Just an opinion obviously but you did ask!

Good luck
Lifer
Intel 2700k 3.8ghz
16GB Crucial Ram
Old 09-18-2010, 06:36 AM

Thanks Lifer. I've noticed many users are using the i7's. Is there any reasons for this on the line of compatibility and stableness with PT? My thoughts on the cpu is "what is the best out there... ok i7 (most expensive etc.) now dial it back to the previous generation i5 which is only a little bit slower and older model, but considerably less expensive. I'm open to being told I'm completely wrong on this.

Any thoughts on motherboards?

Thanks a lot for the help!
Old 09-18-2010, 10:18 AM

Ok, so after researching more, think I'm just going ahead with i7 860 quad for the processor and ASUS P7P55D P55 DDR3, Cross Fire, GB LAN, iEEE for the mobo. Seems that there's plenty others using the same with no problems.

I did read a thread about the limitations of the RAM with PT? I can't find where I read it now to double check. But anyone have thoughts on this? General thinking is to go with the most and fastest ram I can buy (8GB (4x2GB) PC12800 DDR3 1600 Dual Channel), but if I'm not going to get full benefit maybe I need to scale back to 4GB (2x2GB) PC10600 DDR3 1333 Dual Channel.

thoughts?
Old 09-18-2010, 01:15 PM

Prob worth getting the extra ram..it wont be that long until PT goes 64 bit for memory addressing (surely?!) . The limitations are currently due to it being a 32 bit application even in a 64 bit environment.

Just for the record, the i7 860 has hyperthreading on each core..so win 7 64bit will see it as 8 processors and schedule the pipelines accordingly, so i think it should handle better than the i5, particularly for audio and such.
It's certainly my next choice!

Also, if you have any problems finding the right Asus motherboard in stock, there is an Intel board that will do the same, the Intel DH55HC
http://www.intel.com/products/deskto...C-overview.htm
and an MSI one (P55A-G55) that has USB3 too
http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=pr...8&maincat_no=1
Intel 2700k 3.8ghz
16GB Crucial Ram
Old 09-18-2010, 03:28 PM

Hey lifer - Thanks for the input! Will keep going with this build and let you know how it goes. Thanks for helping put my mind at ease about some of this. This is a first time thing for me building a computer from the ground up. In the past I would say to leave it to the computer experts and I'll just buy it prebuilt. But, gotta learn sometime eh? Plus saves you a lot of $$$ Studio money is tight these days.