Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2022, 02:37 AM

Default Pro Tools audio import

Pro Tools is getting better with every update, but one thing I've been waiting for a long time still hasn't been addressed.

The audio import window still can't be resized and there is no explorer bar to copy a folder path link into. It's a pain to navigate in that tiny window and scroll through the files instead of just copying the path.

The whole thing should have been drag and drop by now. Currently, the drag and drop method neither copies the file into the audio folder nor converts it if the sample rate is different. How cool would it be if a dialog box would appear when you drop in an audio file to ask if you want to convert it and copy it into the project folder?

Or is there a way to do this that I don't know about?

Cheers!

Imre
Old 07-01-2022, 03:06 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools audio import

Can you not simply drag and drop from an Explorer window directly onto the PT timeline or clip list? You’ve always been able to on macOS so I’d be surprised if you can’t in Windows.

I haven’t used the Workspace browser in like… 20 years. It offers absolutely nothing of use IMHO. Far easier to just use Finder and drag and drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-2022, 03:36 AM

The audio import window could be useful if you want to import multiple files with different sample rates for a large project.

As I wrote:

Currently, the drag and drop method neither copies the file into the audio folder nor converts it if the sample rate is different.

That means it works fine until you don't want to import a file with a different sample rate. And sound samples are not automatically copied to the project folder, they remain in their original location, just linked to pro Tools. So if you want to send your Pro Tools project to someone, you either have to commit everything or they will face the missing audio files problem.
Old 07-01-2022, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imremeszaros View Post
The audio import window could be useful if you want to import multiple files with different sample rates for a large project.
But as I mentioned in my first post, you can do that now via drag and drop from Finder in macOS. Again, I'd be surprised if this wasn't the case in Windows using the Explorer window.

Quote:
Currently, the drag and drop method neither copies the file into the audio folder nor converts it if the sample rate is different.
Perhaps you're not familiar enough with the application, but what you wrote is incorrect. It most certainly does copy the file into the Audio Files folder and converts the sample rate if you have those options checked.

Quote:
That means it works fine until you don't want to import a file with a different sample rate. And sound samples are not automatically copied to the project folder, they remain in their original location, just linked to pro Tools. So if you want to send your Pro Tools project to someone, you either have to commit everything or they will face the missing audio files problem.
Again, incorrect. As illustrated above, you need to enable those preferences if that is the operation you desire.

You'll note that I have 'Automatically Copy Files on Import' checked but not 'Don't Convert Sample Rate on Import'. So with my settings, it will copy the files into the projects Audio Files folder and sample rate convert the files to the sessions nominated sample rate. Bit depth remains unchanged.
Old 07-01-2022, 06:16 AM

It seems that I was wrong about the copying, thanks for bringing it to my attention!:)

But even with the setting you showed in your screenshot, if I drag a 44kHz wav into my 48kHz timeline, it plays slower. If I drag it to the clip list first and from there to the timeline it plays at the correct speed. Any idea what is causing this?
Old 07-01-2022, 06:34 PM

Quote:
It seems that I was wrong about the copying, thanks for bringing it to my attention!:)
You're welcome.

Quote:
But even with the setting you showed in your screenshot, if I drag a 44kHz wav into my 48kHz timeline, it plays slower. If I drag it to the clip list first and from there to the timeline it plays at the correct speed. Any idea what is causing this?
Not sure why that would be happening, but that's definitely not the case for me. On my end, it will convert the sample rate to the session's designated sample rate and leave the bit depth untouched. You can confirm this by looking at the audio in the Audio Files folder.

Here's a GIF showing how it works for me. Six audio files that are 16bit 44.1/48/96kHz and 24bit 44.1/48/96kHz - all conforming to the session sample rate of 44.1kHz. You can see they all line up perfectly and I can assure you, they play back at the correct speed.

Old 07-01-2022, 10:13 PM

Until now, I was pretty sure that the problem was that Pro Tools wasn't converting the sample rate, but thanks to you, I now know I was wrong.

I checked the Pro Tools Audio folder and it does indeed convert all files, as you said.

The only problem is with loops and sound samples from a certain manufacturer (the company is called Ghosthack).
Is it possible that some loop data in these files is causing Pro Tools not to interpret them properly when they are thrown directly into the timeline? Therefore it converts them to the wrong speed?

You don't know how much help you've been. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me look into this problem. Thank you!
Old 07-01-2022, 10:58 PM

Quote:
The only problem is with loops and sound samples from a certain manufacturer (the company is called Ghosthack).
Is it possible that some loop data in these files is causing Pro Tools not to interpret them properly when they are thrown directly into the timeline? Therefore it converts them to the wrong speed?
It is entirely possible that some of the metadata may be tripping up Pro Tools yes.

One thing to check is that Elastic Audio isn't getting enabled on the tracks that these loops are being added to. I've noticed when dragging in material from some sample libraries, that Pro Tools will enable Elastic Audio on those tracks and change the duration of the file to match the session tempo. I assume it sees an embedded tempo in the files metadata and instinctively tries to marry it to the session's tempo using EA.

What's odd though is that this happens even though I have the setting to not enable EA on new tracks checked in PT preferences. It must override that setting.

Quote:
You don't know how much help you've been. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me look into this problem. Thank you!
No probs. That's what this community is here for... most of the time. There's also a bucket load of bickering that goes on which depending what mood you're in, can be entertaining.
Old 08-23-2022, 02:02 AM

I don't know which version you're running, but i'm on mac big sur, on PT 2021.7 and the window can be resized and there's access to the finder explorer on the side.
Anyway, for the folder path concern, if you're on MacOs, you can simply drag the folder you wish to navigate to, from the finder, to the import window and it's done.
You're at the right place in a drag'n'drop click.