Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2020, 12:53 PM

Default HDX and Dolby Atmos

I have a quick question about the new MTRX Studio Interface when it comes to the Dolby Atmos Production Suite:

Normally using the DAPS, you have to choose the Dolby Audio Bridge Driver in Pro Tools, losing all DSP processing in the process.

With the release of the new MTRX Studio, I wonder: Since it has a 512x512 routing matrix, would it be possible to choose HDX
as the driver in Pro Tools and then route all Bed Channels and Objects internally in the MTRX Studio to the Atmos Renderer?

Of course with the goal in mind to use DAPS alongside DSP processing on HDX.

Any inputs appreciated, thanks :)
Old 05-19-2020, 02:50 PM
Avid

Default Re: HDX and Dolby Atmos

Greetings,

If you are using DAPS along with a Playback Engine of Dolby Audio Bridge - you are using a purely native CoreAudio engine composed of 130 Outputs feeding from Pro Tools Ultimate into DAPS. It is not possible to use HDX DSP without using an HDX Playback Engine. It would certainly be possible to use an HDX Playback Engine with 64 channels (single MTRX Studio) patched (Input = DigiLink, Output = Dante) in the patchbay -> to feed into a dedicated (2018 Mac Mini for example + FF PCIe-R) Dolby Atmos Renderer system running DAMS. This would be limited to 64 channels however as a result of both the DigiLink and Dante IO capabilities on a single MTRX Studio. You could certainly deploy a MTRX + expansion cards or HDX2 attached to 2 MTRX Studios for 128 Channels of DigiLink and Dante.

If you have a powerful enough workstation (7,1 for example) you should be able to experiment with DAPS + DAB (Dolby Audio Bridge) workflows, but understand that it is native only, a one way audio conduit and the HDX hardware gets assigned merely as a streaming audio output in DAPS or DAMS.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 05-19-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
to feed into a dedicated (2018 Mac Mini for example + FF PCIe-R)
What's FF PCIe-R? Focusrite Dante card in a chassis? Or is there a Thunderbolt solution I'm unaware of?
Old 05-19-2020, 05:33 PM
Avid

Yes, sorry for all the acronyms. It’s bordering on military! Focusrite REDNET PCIeR is the only Dolby approved Dante IO for making an RMU that I am aware of.

best,

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MTRX FAQ
Old 05-19-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViciousLullabyz View Post
I have a quick question about the new MTRX Studio Interface when it comes to the Dolby Atmos Production Suite:

Normally using the DAPS, you have to choose the Dolby Audio Bridge Driver in Pro Tools, losing all DSP processing in the process.

With the release of the new MTRX Studio, I wonder: Since it has a 512x512 routing matrix, would it be possible to choose HDX
as the driver in Pro Tools and then route all Bed Channels and Objects internally in the MTRX Studio to the Atmos Renderer?

Of course with the goal in mind to use DAPS alongside DSP processing on HDX.

Any inputs appreciated, thanks :)
Its a right awkward predicament, innit? A DAMS render would be nice, but it is an epic investment, and in a lot of ways it probably doesn't really provide a whole lot more for my workflow than if I just ditched HDX altogether and moved to a nice, spiffy new Mac Pro.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 08-12-2021, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Greetings,

If you are using DAPS along with a Playback Engine of Dolby Audio Bridge - you are using a purely native CoreAudio engine composed of 130 Outputs feeding from Pro Tools Ultimate into DAPS. It is not possible to use HDX DSP without using an HDX Playback Engine. It would certainly be possible to use an HDX Playback Engine with 64 channels (single MTRX Studio) patched (Input = DigiLink, Output = Dante) in the patchbay -> to feed into a dedicated (2018 Mac Mini for example + FF PCIe-R) Dolby Atmos Renderer system running DAMS. This would be limited to 64 channels however as a result of both the DigiLink and Dante IO capabilities on a single MTRX Studio. You could certainly deploy a MTRX + expansion cards or HDX2 attached to 2 MTRX Studios for 128 Channels of DigiLink and Dante.

If you have a powerful enough workstation (7,1 for example) you should be able to experiment with DAPS + DAB (Dolby Audio Bridge) workflows, but understand that it is native only, a one way audio conduit and the HDX hardware gets assigned merely as a streaming audio output in DAPS or DAMS.

Jeff
Old 08-12-2021, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Greetings,
Dolby Atmos Renderer system running DAMS. This would be limited to 64 channels however as a result of both the DigiLink and Dante IO capabilities on a single MTRX Studio. You could certainly deploy a MTRX + expansion cards or HDX2 attached to 2 MTRX Studios for 128 Channels of DigiLink and Dante.
Jeff
Hey I have 2 MTRX Studios.
MTRX Studio 1 is set up for Atmos with a hdx card.
MTRX Studio 2 is set up for hybrid stereo mixing with a hex card.

I wanted to know if it was possible to connect both MTRX's together via Dante. And would this connection allow for 128 hardware I/o via the 2 hdx cards. Or would I still be limited to 64 hardware I/o.

If it is possible how would I do so.
Old 08-13-2021, 06:29 AM
Avid

Greetings,

Certainly if you bring together 2 HDX cards + 2 MTRX Studio devices you can connect them to realize:
128 Channels of IO via DigiLink (64 per box)
128 Channels of IO via Dante (64 per box)
32 Channels of IO via Analog Line (16 channels per box not counting Mons)

If you simply have 2 independent system workstations -> yes you could use Dante to bridge the systems, however that only provides you with a 64 channel conduit.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ