Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2021, 07:45 AM

Default Big Sur on Intel Mac

Hi all, I'm just wondering if anyone out there is successfully using Pro Tools Ultimate on an Intel Mac and any version of Big Sur?

Well this is obviously not recommended, many of our students upgraded to Big Sur and are now having issues with Pro Tools after being told verbally and in writing not to do that.

So if anyone is having success, please tell me your Pro Tools version and Big Sur OS version so that I can pass it along.

Thanks so much,

Buddy
PT Ult. 2020.11
OsCatalina
Intel i7
Old 02-22-2021, 07:56 AM

Default Re: Big Sur on Intel Mac

Downgrading OS is also a possibility. At the very least do a clean install of Big Sur as OS upgrades can and will cause any kind of random problems Avid cannot reproduce.

With that said my educated guess would be next PT version supports Big Sur at least on Intel hardware, if not Apple Silicon natively. They don't have much time before The Next Great Place is introduced early june.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:08 AM

You can search DUC for people reporting issues. If there were severe problems people would be screaming here.

With 2020.12 (and 2020.11 before that) with the exception of one very minor UI issue (in the new track dialog panel with the text in one field being partially obscured, and which does not appear for other users) I have seen no problems on Big Sur... but there might well be issues, I am doing light weight audio work, YMMV.

So what problems are your students seeing and what troubleshooting have you tried?
Old 02-22-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Downgrading OS is also a possibility. At the very least do a clean install of Big Sur as OS upgrades can and will cause any kind of random problems Avid cannot reproduce.
Good luck telling a student to downgrade their macOS.

At the beginning of the semester, I have them fill out a questionnaire to list the details of their hardware and software. Luckily, everybody read the memo not to upgrade to BigSur, but the variety of age of their MacBooks and the version of the macOS they are running is all over the place.

Not much fun running Pro Tools on a 2012 Macbook with 8GB RAM.
I had to do several one-on-one "Genius bar sessions" to troubleshoot upgrade issues or Pro Tools issues because they didn't get a response back from AVID support.

What I always find surprising is that the younger generation (Highschool / College) grew up with all that technology, use it 24/7, but there is not much knowledge/understanding about that knowledge under the hood. When it comes to WiFi and network topics, it gets even scarier.
http://DingDingMusic.com/
YouTube Channel Music Tech Explained https://YouTube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/
Old 02-22-2021, 09:41 AM

I've loaded Protools 2020.12 on Big Sur in an Intel Mac. It loads and runs. Unfortunately it was on a lowly 8GB M5 12" MacBook. I did not try any third party plugins. Take that for what it is worth. The best is to wait for Avid, but if you can't wait, try it at your own risk with a separate drive. If you run into issues, swap back to the old drive and you back to your current setup.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 02-22-2021, 10:29 AM

Just remember what I told you, Big Sur support may not be a silver bullet, your students may still need to do clean install of either Catalina or Big Sur (their choice) but upgrading OS is always a bad idea when we are talking about PT. Random errors everywhere, and sluggish performance.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Just remember what I told you, Big Sur support may not be a silver bullet, your students may still need to do clean install of either Catalina or Big Sur (their choice) but upgrading OS is always a bad idea when we are talking about PT. Random errors everywhere, and sluggish performance.
I agree that a clean OS install, in general, is always better than upgrading to get a clean and lean OS, regardless of whether it is Pro Tools or other software. But it seems a bit excessive, especially on a computer that runs other stuff.

Do you have any official AVID recommendation that backs up your suggestions regarding Pro Tools?
http://DingDingMusic.com/
YouTube Channel Music Tech Explained https://YouTube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/
Old 02-22-2021, 11:25 AM

Just google "site:avid.com os clean install" and you get a picture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2021, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarRothermich View Post
I agree that a clean OS install, in general, is always better than upgrading to get a clean and lean OS, regardless of whether it is Pro Tools or other software. But it seems a bit excessive, especially on a computer that runs other stuff.

Do you have any official AVID recommendation that backs up your suggestions regarding Pro Tools?
Your reasoning is the modern version of 'well all the other kids are doing it why can't I?' Along with the answer: 'if all the other kids jumped off a cliff would you?'
Quote:
Just google "site:avid.com os clean install" and you get a picture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Trust the wisdom of those who have been there/done that/regretted that.

QAPLA!
Old 02-22-2021, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You can search DUC for people reporting issues. If there were severe problems people would be screaming here.

With 2020.12 (and 2020.11 before that) with the exception of one very minor UI issue (in the new track dialog panel with the text in one field being partially obscured, and which does not appear for other users) I have seen no problems on Big Sur... but there might well be issues, I am doing light weight audio work, YMMV.

So what problems are your students seeing and what troubleshooting have you tried?
Thanks Darryl for the info-:).

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS