Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 09:43 AM

Default Please help/advise me

I am currently using PTLE 5.0.1 on windows98SE.I recently got Reason3.0.So I decided to install windowXP on the same system.I installed WinXP a few days ago on the second hard disc on my machine.It was a clean install.Now when I boot my system the options for both versions of windows are shown on the screen.I can select the win98 option but when i press enter instead of starting in win98 the windowXP option gets selected and I am now unable to boot in Win98.

I got help from a few friends here.They say that the Win98 has been corrupted.According to them the only solution is that i reinstall the win98.

I have one project which I have to complete in a fortnight.I can not start the win98 and hence can not use PTLE.My anxiety is that what will happen if I reinstall the win98.I remember there was a floppy disc containing some unlocking key.That key is on the system and the floppy is not having that key.If i reinstall the win98 then most probably i will loose that key.And if i remember exactly that key is needed to unlock the digirack plugins.

As of now I have these options that come to my mind.

1) I upgrade to 5.3.1 version as it is free for 5.0.1.My question is will I need that key still if i download this upgrade?

2) Buy the latest version.($75).My question is will it come on CD and will it provide me with a new key?Or do i have to recover the old key?And will i be elligible for the PTLE7.0 version for free after buying the current upgrade.(As PTLE7.0 is due on Oct.07)

Please help/advise.

Thanks to all in advance.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:05 AM

Default Re: Please help/advise me

sounds like you are using an 001 correct? if so, your easiest bet might be to see if you can go into dos with someone locally and find your session file and back it up. I am not sure about the keys on the plugins honestly, but the best suggestion in that situation would be to find out what you would need to do to upgrade everything to XP on your machine as it will be much more stable. I believe 6.4 is the highest you can go software wise with an 001 if I am not mistaken. Dual partitions are something else to mess with a lot of times.. btw.. do you have a backup of your session?
Old 09-29-2005, 10:20 AM

The "key" you are refering to is likely the code for ProTools LE. It is in the cover of your 'getting started' manual. Since 5.3.1 is free, I would install that. If you're really lucky, it will remember your previous authorization code. The diskette was probably for D-Verb authorization. If you upgrade to v6.4 and install the cs updates (CS 6 and 9), you will be ready to use Reason with PTLE. You can buy v6.4 for $35- and will come with a new authorization code.

Since windows 98 uses FAT partitions, you should be able to find your 5.0.1 sessions and open them without problems in 5.3.1 or 6.4 as-is. If you move the files, you may need to relink the audio when you start it up. If you converted your drive to NTFS (NT File System), that may explain the problem with Windows 98. I doubt you'd be able to undo that.

If you have additional 3rd party plugins, they may require re-authorizing. If they are disk authorized, your previous codes should work as they use the hard drive ID to validate your code.

Hope this helps
Old 09-29-2005, 10:33 AM

Thanks for the inputs.Yes I am using Digi001.And yes Ducky you are right.The diskette was for D-Verb authorization.Now I remember after reading your post.
I have two hard disc each having two partitions.Only one partition on which the xp was installed was formatted and converted to NTFS.While in xp i can see all the data on other drives.

Now if I reinstall the win98 will the D-Verb authorisation be lost.

And if i buy v6.4 for $35 will it come on a cd or it is a download option only?And what extra for the coming v7.0 will i have to shell out?

Its midnight in India right now. So going to bed.Hope will find more inputs when log on again tomorrow morning.Thanks again.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:31 AM

So nobody has a solution for my problem it seems.May be reinstalling everything will solve my problem.But this was what I had been trying to avoid.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:18 AM

Finally I had to reinstall everything.Even Windows.That solved the problem.